R22 for Law Enforcement

A scoped Carbine? Silly photo.

Actually not all AR-15s are carbines. In ARs the type of rifle (carbine, mid, or rifle)is based on the length of the gas tube and the location of the gas block on the barrel. Also theres no reason not to put a scope on an AR especially if your targets are at 100m+. Plus not everyone can afford a cool holographic sight that costs almost as much as the rifle itself

Check out www.AR15.com, my second favorite forum.

Theres a youtube video of an R22 flyin around the boonies shooting nuisance wild hogs, and of course the deer and goat hunters in NZ. I heard the guys in the R22 got killed tho.

• Like 1

believe it or not there is actually an R22 police addition... Check the back of your R22 POH

I'm partners in an R22 that used to be a PD ship. Spotlight and everything.....never used it, but it would be great for night landings!

Actually not all AR-15s are carbines. In ARs the type of rifle (carbine, mid, or rifle)is based on the length of the gas tube and the location of the gas block on the barrel. Also theres no reason not to put a scope on an AR especially if your targets are at 100m+. Plus not everyone can afford a cool holographic sight that costs almost as much as the rifle itselfCheck out www.AR15.com, my second favorite forum.Theres a youtube video of an R22 flyin around the boonies shooting nuisance wild hogs, and of course the deer and goat hunters in NZ. I heard the guys in the R22 got killed tho.

My understanding was that a barrel length of aprox 16" or shorter was a carbine, and over this it was a rifle (18"-20"+ barrel lengths). As far as gas-block location you might be right, but I have 16" carbines that have both mid-length gas systems (longer hand guard) and carbine gas systems (shorter than mid-length as the hand guard is short). But I very well could be wrong here.

As far as scoped carbines, I have holographics, ACOGS and variable scopes on mine and its nice to reach out and touch paper (or varmints) at 300+ yds with something other than irons. Each have there place, but shooting from a heli with a scoped carbine or rifle is kinda silly in my book because of the lack of viewing angle and lack of eye relief that could occur. Red dot system with inner dot/outer circle might be best for leading/lagging the target or ACOG with low magnification! But I am game to try this out, Goldy, could we try this out hahah!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm jealous. Unfortunately in the People's Republic of Maryland, it's an hour drive to the nearest rifle range.

Just went to the range last week to qualify with my RRA carbine. Yes, the EoTech sight is nice - especially for combat shooting. I only go four times/year so for the stationary stages, I use the iron sights to keep my skills current.

I've never paid out of pocket for ammo, so I have no idea how much it costs... :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...