Is a pilot's license a legal form of ID?

Karl

From the San Fransisco Police department web page about valid forms of ID,

ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address

So it seems that they would accept the certificate as identification, but then again.... I have been at a bar where a guy tried to use his certificate for ID and the bartender would not accept it.

Short answer, no. Most entities require a picture ID, and my certificate only has Orville and Wilbur's pictures, not mine. That's why you have to carry a driver's license or some other form of picture ID when exercising the privileges of the pilot certificate. Some people somewhere might accept it, but I don't think many law enforcement officers will.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

Gomer Pylot is correct, NO it is not.

Now, I'll stir up something.

Do you know that a U.S. Passport is accepted as identification but, it is not an identity document?

The only thing that a passport was/is produced for is:

"When you are traveling outside of the U.S. and you attempt to enter any country, the U.S. government guarantees that the U.S. will accept you back into the U.S., if rejected."

Meaning, if that country rejects your entry, you can return to the U.S.

I know, I know, it is accepted as more but that was and still is the reason the passport is issued.

I did not mean to hi-jack the thread but, hey, you got some trivia.

edspilot

A friend of mine once witnessed and reported a crime and when the cops got there they asked for some ID(cause they were about to arrest him!). He had left his DL in his hotel room and just happened to have only his pilot's license on him. They accepted it.

A friend of mine once witnessed and reported a crime and when the cops got there they asked for some ID(cause they were about to arrest him!). He had left his DL in his hotel room and just happened to have only his pilot's license on him. They accepted it.

Thats because they already believed his story, they just wanted some small speck of evidence before they let him go. People on parole or probation have a habit of "forgetting" to have ID on them. So when you first say gee officer, I dont have my ID with me.....it sorta strikes curiosity as to why....but as soon as you say....but I have this instead...it lends credibility. Short answer, he would have gone home either way, if they didnt believe him, he would already had the hooks on.

I wouldnt accept it as official ID, but just like in your friends case, it adds some credibility that you are who you say you are. If it had a photo/finger print of you then it would be no brainer.

I tried to use my FAA cert. to pick up some registered mail from the post office. The lady rejected it because I didn't look like the guy in the picture on the back.

All kidding aside though, why couldn't they just put a passport photo on the damn things?

My Australian CPL is printed on a piece of toilet paper, but it has a picture, so we don't have to carry a second ID over here.

I tried to use my FAA cert. to pick up some registered mail from the post office. The lady rejected it because I didn't look like the guy in the picture on the back.

All kidding aside though, why couldn't they just put a passport photo on the damn things?

My Australian CPL is printed on a piece of toilet paper, but it has a picture, so we don't have to carry a second ID over here.

What many LE and security entities state it must be a government issued photo ID. Some places are totally ridiculous on what they will accept and not accept. Maaport for example will not accept DoD or non-Massport airport IDs. Which considering all the hoops you have to jump through to get a DoD or an airport SIDA ID, is way out in left field. But they will accept a drivers license, heck in some states you can be dead and buried and still get a DL.

As for the photo on the FAA certificate, a lot of the issue there has to do with how the FARs are written and the current FAA system works. Currently you must have your certificate in your immediate possession when operating an aircraft. Australia for example, the last time I checked, you did not. I am happen, but there will have to be major changes with the FARs and the FAA, before it happens.

Canada adopted a passport style pilot certificate over a year ago. It contains photo ID, and best of all has multiple pages for medical exams so you don't have to carry a separate medical, just get the 'pilot passport' stamped at each exam.