R44 Video

RotorWeed

Apparently this was a private pilot/owner doing a commercial flight. Looks to me as if he was overshooting his approach, then tried to steepen the angle until he couldn't recover it any more. Hard to tell from a tiny video like that though. We won't know for sure until the report comes out. All 4 are alive but one is in a bad state.

There is a long thread about this on the yellow forum.

Edited by lelebebbel

Apparently this was a private pilot/owner doing a commercial flight. Looks to me as if he was overshooting his approach, then tried to steepen the angle until he couldn't recover it any more. Hard to tell from a tiny video like that though. We won't know for sure until the report comes out. All 4 are alive but one is in a bad state.

There is a long thread about this on the yellow forum.

Yeah, hard to see it all, but sure looks preventable. You can see him slowing down more and more...alarm bells should be going off at some point. Looked a bit windy too so maybe he misjudged wind direction as well?

Not sure if we'll see this on the NTSB reports, sometimes they cover out of US stuff.

I'll post the german (LBA) report when it comes out, although they take their time with these, just like the NTSB.

Witnesses say the rescue helicopter landed in the same direction (but with a much more shallow approach), so he was probably not downwind, just way, way too steep.

Not so much the steep approach that did the pilot in. It does look like SWP to me. Gotta have all three things for that. I do steep approaches all day long. I just keep it into the wind and my ROD at 200'/min or less. If not it's a go around. This pilots situational awareness appears to have gone out the window.