R-22 Rescue

Guest Maximinious

Can anyone tell me if it would be possible to lift a person out of the water with an R-22 if the person being rescued grabbed onto one of the skids? Would mast bumping occur?

C of G? :blink:

i have a photo somewhere of a R22 with a (dead) hog hanging from the left hand skid. That thing would've been 80kg at least. Mind you, he most likely didn't lift it out of the water. In any case, it was not exactly the smartest thing to do, aside from being illegal of course. The skids are weaker than one might think when force is applied in the wrong direction. Also, there is the obvious* (*to most pilots) risk of a dynamic rollover.

I suspect that the water rescue attempt would very likely end with 2 chopped-up bodies and a lot of tiny helicopter parts floating in the water.

Edited by lelebebbel

Can anyone tell me if it would be possible to lift a person out of the water with an R-22 if the person being rescued grabbed onto one of the skids? Would mast bumping occur?

yes- if the total weight on that side was about 250 pounds or less, depending of course on DA and fuel load.

No- nothing bad would happen unless the pilot did something bad....like start to lean to one side and then pull more collective.

Not something I would recommend, but if it was my kid drowning, I wouldnt think twice about it.

Of course, he could also just hang on to a skid as you moved slowly so that you didnt take all the weight to one side. Remember the skids stick out further than the seats, so your CG will run out with less load.

Mast bumping is a problem when near zero gravity situations. You'll have plenty of weight on the rotor if you were doing this!

What did they used to do with the R22 in Australia?

He may be talking about the 300 pound guy that runs alongside the ship and then jumps up on a skid.

And yes, the other poster mentioned, skids are designed to take loads in one direction...not the other, and not side to side.

Goldy, do you actually believe that mast bumping only happens under low-g conditions? :blink:

Not at all, but yes Eric I did fall into the trap of only mentioning one possibility! Anytime you have excessive flapping due to aerodynamics or control inputs which cause excessive flapping, you could end with a mast bump. High forward speeds, low main rotor rpm, overcontrol, etc. etc.

Took me awhile to answer due to hypnotic avitars!

Not at all, but yes Eric I did fall into the trap of only mentioning one possibility! Anytime you have excessive flapping due to aerodynamics or control inputs which cause excessive flapping, you could end with a mast bump. High forward speeds, low main rotor rpm, overcontrol, etc. etc.

Took me awhile to answer due to hypnotic avitars!

Excessive slope landing as well.

Excessive slope landing as well.

You should be able to feel the cyclic hit its control stop, so if you are still trying to get one skid down, you pick it back up and move somewhere else. Like anything, if you do things slow and smooth you can avoid a lot of pain.

I've only taken it to the cyclic stops once, and that was doing 80 knots in an R22. She rolled 80 degrees or so but I smoothly came right back out of it. I suppose if I had yanked to the stops one way and then the other, I may not be writing this now.