Aerospace Engineering

eaw913

I am planning to transfer to a highly renowned engineering school after 2 years of college to get a degree in Aerospace Engineering.

I would like to know if this will benefit me as far as flying helicopters? I want to enlist in the Army after I graduate, so that is why I am asking.

Thanks!

Yes, I plan to go Warrant Officer to fly (specifically).

I don't want to be solely and officer because I just want to fly. But I definitely I would like to have a solid degree under my belt. I love flying, but I also want to pursue my other interests with it.

An engineering degree would be great to have, and it makes you that much more competitive if applying for WOCS/OCS or on a resume. When it comes to flying helicopters, the only place I can think that really wants an engineering degree is in the test pilot area. For most other helicopter pilot jobs that require a degree, they don't require technical degrees.

But if you plan on making a career as a pilot I think an aero eng. degree would be great. If you're motivated enough and have the means, then definitely go for it. I wish I would have gone that route. Plus just the extra knowledge of aerodynamics and how it affects the flying characteristics and build of aircraft would be great to have as a pilot. And if something happens where you're unable to fly anymore, that degree should get you a nice paying engineering job. For that matter, fly for the Army then retire and get an engineering job. From what I can tell though, if you want to work as an aero engineer in the helicopter field you really need a Masters degree.

So which university are you planning on attending?

An engineering degree would be great to have, and it makes you that much more competitive if applying for WOCS/OCS or on a resume. When it comes to flying helicopters, the only place I can think that really wants an engineering degree is in the test pilot area. For most other helicopter pilot jobs that require a degree, they don't require technical degrees.

But if you plan on making a career as a pilot I think an aero eng. degree would be great. If you're motivated enough and have the means, then definitely go for it. I wish I would have gone that route. Plus just the extra knowledge of aerodynamics and how it affects the flying characteristics and build of aircraft would be great to have as a pilot. And if something happens where you're unable to fly anymore, that degree should get you a nice paying engineering job. For that matter, fly for the Army then retire and get an engineering job. From what I can tell though, if you want to work as an aero engineer in the helicopter field you really need a Masters degree.

So which university are you planning on attending?

This is great to know. I know I can get the degree, I just have to get caught up for my first two years of college and then transfer. I don't plan to enter the Army until I graduate anyway.

I have heard about needing a masters, but I would get my masters regardless whenever I have the opportunity. Honestly, there are several careers I would like to pursue, but flying is my number one. I would love to own an auto business or get into automotive engineering as well. I am honestly just wanting a high paying degree that I will enjoy and will be able to use my entire life.

I am planning to transfer to the Georgia Institute of Technology.