severe injury

uberchris

Hi.

I was wondering, if you got into an accident and really got hurt bad, say with 2 broken femurs, or busted knees, or a broken back, would this basically ruin your chances of ever clearing a class 2 medical again? does anyone know of any pilot who got hurt bad in say a car accident and has had to deal with this issue?

sorry for the morbid post but there are so many variables in deciding to pursue this career goal for me

Hi.

I was wondering, if you got into an accident and really got hurt bad, say with 2 broken femurs, or busted knees, or a broken back, would this basically ruin your chances of ever clearing a class 2 medical again? does anyone know of any pilot who got hurt bad in say a car accident and has had to deal with this issue?

sorry for the morbid post but there are so many variables in deciding to pursue this career goal for me

I know of a young lady who was hit by a car while riding her bike. She had a class date the Air Force Academy. Because of the injury, she lost her appointment. However, she got a Class 2 medical after high school. So I would say it really depends. The injury in and of itself would not be disqualifying. After healing, you would have to be able to meet the requirement standards of the medical. There are also waivers available. Your best bet would be talking with an Aviation Medical Examiner or the Aero Medical Branch in Oak City.

If you had a loss of consciousness, (for any reason) you'll have problems. Otherwise, if you can pass the physical, you should be good. A loss of conciousness is not a diqualification forever, but you automatically are on the sidelines for a minimum of six months. It might be a year. I can't remember.

Edited by helonorth

• 4 weeks later...

If you had a loss of consciousness, (for any reason) you'll have problems. Otherwise, if you can pass the physical, you should be good. A loss of conciousness is not a diqualification forever, but you automatically are on the sidelines for a minimum of six months. It might be a year. I can't remember.

I am getting ready to start my helo flight training and have been doing my fixed wing training for a few months now after being hit by an IED in Kandahar. I now have a first class medical although it did require several visits to the flight doc. If you want a good resource contact Dennis or DP as he is known on here and at his flight school (coloradoheliops.com) He is a great resource and can help point you in the right direction. And as a side note the head of the Department of Veteran Affairs is a former black hawk pilot who is now a double amputee because of an RPG in the foot wells and I believe she still flies. Call Dennis he helps out however he can.