Most unique or new ship flown?

Goldy

So every now and then opportunity knocks and you get to do something pretty cool. I have a list of airports that I want to fly into, and a list of helicopters that I want to fly. It used to contain 10 different models, but when the R66 was introduced, I made it 11.

About two years ago, my buddies DP and Jake let me fly around in an S-333. While that ship was never on my "must fly" list, it definitely stayed on top as my most unusual ship flown.

You know...the big fishing lure. I could almost haul 12 foot lumber in the thing as long as I loaded it side by side. Nice stable ship, slow like a Schweizer (now Sikorsky) should be.

So today I got to take the new R66 for a spin. One more crossed off my list. Now I'm thinking I should be in a Skycrane/Aircrane next. I'm really not that picky which one.

Got me thinking though...what ship is the most unusual you have ever flown? What ship is on your "must fly" list?

Fly safe and take em to the ground!

I have been very lucky. So far I have flown the Robinson R-22, Bell 206B, 206L, OH-58 and 407. Eurocopter EC-120, Augusta A-109. And I've ridden in the Aerospatiale Eurocopter AS365N1 Dauphin twice.

I would like to fly the R-44 and the S-92 oh and of course a Sea King and Huey before they are gone.

Chris

When the first BK117 arrived in country in 1987, I was the 3rd to be checked out in it - what a hoot.

Have also operated the first ever B412, serial No. 1

The Schweizer 333 was also fun, riding around in the Sheriff's machine at zot feet around West Palm Beach.

One of the Hueys that my brother and I trained in is in the War Memorial, next to a Lancaster bomber that my father flew.

I would like to fly in the S92 - tried it in the WPB simulator, and looked over a privately-owned example in Teterboro. Now THAT is a treat! ;)

• Like 1

One of the Hueys that my brother and I trained in is in the War Memorial, next to a Lancaster bomber that my father flew.

Now that ranks high on the very cool list.

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to get some time in a Mi2 in Russia, on the Kola Peninsula, about 150 miles into the Arctic Circle while Salmon fishing the Ponoi River in 1994. One of the American fishing guides freaked out as I was making the approach to the hill top heliport. He asked me afterwards "when was the last time you flew a helicopter?". I told him "Thursday". It had been an Aerophlot trainer and had duals in it!

• Like 1

So far I've flown the R-22, R-44, EC-120, Bell 206, S-76, and S-92. There is something about the sound of a Bell 214B that makes me really want to fly it though. That and the fact that they are so rare(Supposedly only 70 of the "B" variant were ever made). You will instantly be able to tell one from the gaping hole they call an exhaust(it uses the same engine as the Chinook which makes it the most powerful single engine helicopter in the world). Or so I've been told :P

My link

• Like 1

lelebebbel, this thread is about UNIQUE or NEW helicopters, and the poor old 47 doesn't fit either category.

However, I used to fly a 47T, the C20 powered 47, and that was a quantum leap up from the piston babies. Still not unique, and certainly not new.

I trained on the 47 and it's still my sweetheart helicopter. It may not be unique or new but at least it's slow. That's why it has the best view so you can use the time looking around! Seriously though I would love to fly a Brantly because unless anyone can prove otherwise it's the ugliest and I've heard it hovers like a dream. My realistic dream is to fly the Bell 407 and Astar in the mountains one day. Beyond that I would love to try out the Aircrane and the Chinook. Oh yeah the K-Max too.

Goldy you lucky dog. Bet the 66 is way more of a sports car than the Jet Ranger.

Edited by Whistlerpilot
  • Like 1

Goldy you lucky dog. Bet the 66 is way more of a sports car than the Jet Ranger.

I love the old B47, little weird being able to fly and watch the swashplate at the same time! BTW, the B47 was one of the ships on my "must fly" list

Yes, the 66 is a lot faster than the 206, even loaded up. Here's a shot of me taken last week flying with Doug, Robinsons test pilot in the 66.

post-2917-129066648257_thumb.jpg

Chris, when the last Black Hawk goes to Davis Mothem, the crew will fly home on a Huey.

I think this statement holds a lot of truth. You guys that have the Huey on your list, come to West Virginia, put some fuel in the old gal, and we will take it around the patch. One of the few UH-1Bs still flying everyday and earning a living fighting fire here in West Virginia. Of course it will have to be crew training since it is in restricted category.

I think this statement holds a lot of truth. You guys that have the Huey on your list, come to West Virginia, put some fuel in the old gal, and we will take it around the patch. One of the few UH-1Bs still flying everyday and earning a living fighting fire here in West Virginia. Of course it will have to be crew training since it is in restricted category.

Bossman- The UH1/204/205 series is on my list. Some day I'll get back there to fly a few hours with you.

Others on my personal wish list...the 412, Augusta 109/119 series, EC 130, S55/S58 piston...I love that huge rotary, the S64/CH54, and of course, the B222. I know pilots who fly everything on my list except the 222.....come on guys, make it happen!

I would like to fly a UH-1 and a H-13! Any flight schools still use an H-13? I heard there is one in California somewhere. Also, I would like to fly a TH-55. I learned in the S-300 and would like to get a few hours in a former military model. Anyone know where one is?

Bossman- The UH1/204/205 series is on my list. Some day I'll get back there to fly a few hours with you.

Others on my personal wish list...the 412, Augusta 109/119 series, EC 130, S55/S58 piston...I love that huge rotary, the S64/CH54, and of course, the B222. I know pilots who fly everything on my list except the 222.....come on guys, make it happen!

Goldy, I know a 222 pilot, I've been trying to get him to take me up for years!

I would like to fly a UH-1 and a H-13! Any flight schools still use an H-13? I heard there is one in California somewhere. Also, I would like to fly a TH-55. I learned in the S-300 and would like to get a few hours in a former military model. Anyone know where one is?

There were 3 locations with the 47 series ships flying the old Bell. The one at TwinAir was a G2 civilian model, the one in Chino is with Mike Zemlock Helicopters and I think it's an older D1 version. Now Santa Paula (SPZ) has a rebuilt ship complete with all the old Army markings. My guess its thats an H13.

Edited by Goldy

I want to fly an aircraft that has wings spinning on top, not to picky right now a R22 would be just fine.......Soon, hopefully very soon. I think it would be awsome to have a fully loaded Apache for a day. I had a freind say he would take me up, but that bird requires 2 qualified pilots and I didn't think the rocket pod sounded too comfortable.

There were 3 locations with the 47 series ships flying the old Bell. The one at TwinAir was a G2 civilian model, the one in Chino is with Mike Zemlock Helicopters and I think it's an older D1 version. Now Santa Paula (SPZ) has a rebuilt ship complete with all the old Army markings. My guess its thats an H13.

Thanks for the Info!

Well I'm training in the Schweizer 269C now and that is a big step down from my military days. I remember hearing the "old timers" talk about the TH-55 and just shrugged it off. Now I know the pain they were referring to when they talked about a manual throttle. I've had the pleasure of flying the TH-67 (Bell 206BIII), the UH-1, the OH-58, the AH-64A and the Delta model.

• 2 weeks later...