Custom CEP Molds for Army Aircrew

Does anyone know where to get those custom molded silicone earpieces for the CEPs? I keep seeing them around and those ALSE issued brown foam tips get so dirty and nasty after a while.

I don't believe the custom molds are ALSE approved. I think they were working on getting them approved but not sure it's happened yet. Could be wrong.

• Like 1

I don't believe the custom molds are ALSE approved. I think they were working on getting them approved but not sure it's happened yet. Could be wrong.

Lyster wouldn't help provide them if they weren't approved. :shrug:

OP:

https://www.westone.com/search/location/

Click advanced search.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you talking about these?

http://www.l2ktech.com/catalog/item/7853213/8459774.htm

I've been very interested in getting them but haven't done it yet. I think the standard foam plugs work fine (at least they do for me).

Thanks for the input! I ended up ordering a pair from that Technologies site and like them way better than the little brown ones. The best part is they will last me for a few years and I got my name laser etched in them. Although I ordered the full shell ones on this page instead of the half shells because they are cheaper and looked more comfortable:

http://www.l2ktech.com/catalog/item/7853213/8415524.htm

Edited by Mike2k

Yeah, you can get them here at Lyster if you get an appt with Audiology. They take a mold for you, and send them off to some private company who charges about 50 bucks, but they are def legit from those who I know that have them. ALSE also have many different sizes of the orange foam inserts, I didnt realize that and then I got a larger size and they work great without any pain or slipping around.

Edited by NorCalHeliKid

Mike, what's the difference between full and half shell? I am interested in getting these but I want whichever ones will seal out noise the best and be most secure.

NorCal, is there a size larger than "large" that you know of? I carry a couple of blister packs of the large plugs in my various helmet/headset bags, and the little pictogram on the pack shows "large" being the biggest. I think my problem is that my right ear canal doesn't seal tight because a large isn't quite large enough. That's why I think a custom mold is a good choice for me.

Mike, what's the difference between full and half shell? I am interested in getting these but I want whichever ones will seal out noise the best and be most secure.

NorCal, is there a size larger than "large" that you know of? I carry a couple of blister packs of the large plugs in my various helmet/headset bags, and the little pictogram on the pack shows "large" being the biggest. I think my problem is that my right ear canal doesn't seal tight because a large isn't quite large enough. That's why I think a custom mold is a good choice for me.

Yeah, that large is the largest I've seen too, at least at ALSE, there could be larger elsewhere...but the few guys that I know with custom ones all swear by them, I just havent been uncomfortable enough to get my mold done and spend 50 smackaroos. I bet its worth it though.

I found the info I was looking for about a month ago.

The companies name is Westone.

The product line is

ACCES

Attenuating Custom Communication Earpiece System

I met them at a confrence in South Lake Tahoe, CA in 2010. Very VERY nice guys.

gsa@westone.com

www.westone.com

Check to make sure these are Army flight Approved.

Edited by JMcDonald

I found the info I was looking for about a month ago.

The companies name is Westone.

The product line is

ACCES

Attenuating Custom Communication Earpiece System

I met them at a confrence in South Lake Tahoe, CA in 2010. Very VERY nice guys.

gsa@westone.com

www.westone.com

Check to make sure these are Army flight Approved.

Be aware that if you go the "ACCES" route, you're going to have to get your cables as well as your earpieces from westone. If you get the traditional holes (unlike that 5 sided "double flange" with ACCES), then ALSE can provide you with new cables when they eventually break. (Unless that system works better to reduce stress at the earpiece, which it looks like it may, you should expect to replace your cable once to twice a year. Have a spare on hand if you don't use ALSE type cables).

Depending on the price of the cables, and ease of ordering, I'd consider doing this type, especially since it DOES look like they would be more resilient (that 90* angle).

Edited by CharyouTree

• 1 month later...

I thought I would follow up.

I have been flying with my custom half-shell earplugs from L2K Technologies for a few weeks now and overall, I am happy with them. However, they are not the panacea I was hoping they would be. On the plus side, I appreciate the way they fit and seal my ears - every time I put them on (in?), the fit is tight and consistent. I feel this is the biggest advantage they have. Too many times with the foam CEP plugs, they wouldn't expand tight enough, or I'd get a pressure point, or they'd go in too deep or off-center and too much noise would get in. With the foam, if I didn't get a good fit the first time and removed them to reinsert, they would be either too warm or sweaty or whatever and would not expand unless I left them out for a while. This issue is eliminated with the custom earplugs

On the downside, they are bigger than the foam plugs, so they take some getting used too. When putting on a helmet, it is easier to knock them askew and then you have to reach in and adjust them. Also, wire management is more difficult because the speakers sit farther outside your ears - the wires don't loop around the top of my ears and stay there by themselves. I find it takes some fiddling after my helmet is on to get the wires properly placed off any cartilage.

As far as noise reduction goes, don't buy them because you expect them to be a lot quieter. I find that they are basically the same (or possibly a smidge quieter) as the standard foam plugs. Again, the biggest benefit in my opinion, is that you get a perfect fit (and therefore max noise reduction) every time you use them.

• 5 months later...

You can get custom ear molds for your CEPs or Clarity Aloft Headset at www.velocitysquaredstore.com. You can also call them at 334-347-4722. They are located in Enterprise, Alabama on Boll Weevil Circle, behind Ruby Tuesdays. I have been flying with the ear molds for several months and they are great. They reduce the outside noise significantly and increase the clarity of the radios and ICS by double what it was. They also have a video on youtube.com that you can watch that explains it all.

post-24831-0-21411600-1315595592_thumb.jpg

They shouldn't provide better noise reduction unless you were wearing the standard foam inserts incorrectly.

I have pretty much stopped using my custom molds and use the Comply foam tips exclusively again. The custom molds aren't any quieter and they often begin hurting after a couple of hours. The Comply tips are very comfortable and seal very well.

A lot of complaints about CEP foam tips come from guys who are using the wrong size or who aren't inserting them correctly. Once they learn how to use them they don't have as many problems. Custom molds are really only recommended as a last resort if you're having fitment problems.

I'm sure most of you have been briefed on putting them in but in case you haven't here's a link to the CEP website with fitting instructions.

http://www.cep-usa.com/id23.htm

Also, I don't think people realize you are supposed to regularly clean the CEP tips. There are instructions in the link for that as well.

Edited by SBuzzkill

CEP's are the bomb, especially if you have the correct size canal tips. There are sever length and thickness options available and it's not uncommon for people to have different size ear holes. Try out all the sizes and figure out what works for you.

I wouldn't waste my time/money with the custom molds because properly fitted foam tips work just as good if not better, plus the are FREE.

CEP will release a standalone version of CEP's for shooters that works like peltor ear muffs. This set has tiny microphones in each year piece that amplify sound until you squeeze the trigger at which point it mutes the sound. I played with a set a few weeks ago and it was great. They got some cool stuff out there.

Dutch.