Which airframe are you wanting, or chosen, and why?

And hopefully an MH-6 pilot after flying the UH-60.

Is that actually possible?

What I mean is...

Worry about getting a primary aircraft and getting through flight school before trying to assess and get MH6 / AH6s.

Anything is possible, after you graduate flight school.

• Like 1

Of course it's possible. 160th gets their pilots from all different airframes for little birds.

My first flight in a Black Hawk into Iraq my "co-pilot" was a CW-5 former MH-6 guy. Flew Black Hawks before he went 160th and went back to Hawks when he went back to big Army.

• Like 3

I was being sarcastic. At this point you'd be better off worrying about getting your wings.

As far as the 160th, what special skills do you bring to the table? That's rhetorical but you need to stand out from the crowd of applicants to get into stuff like that.

I was being sarcastic. At this point you'd be better off worrying about getting your wings.

As far as the 160th, what special skills do you bring to the table? That's rhetorical but you need to stand out from the crowd of applicants to get into stuff like that.

I have much to learn about the ARMY and how it works, I thought you might need a specific airframe to have trained on before(Like the Kiowa or the Apache) to then be able to train on the MH-6.

At this point, I will not assume anything, if I do not know something, I will ask for a clear answer, if you have advice, I will listen and pay very close attention. I am not just only focused on getting my wings, but also informing myself on possible future decisions. The way I work is that I hope for the best and plan for the worse.

Some of the things I have learned from the community here might apply to me some 5 years down the road, others comments or advice apply for my immediate training, in the end, the more information and knowledge I have, the stronger I feel. Since I am a civilian this will be a completely new environment for me and there is alot to get use to and even more things I need to learn about.

I have much to learn about the ARMY and how it works, I thought you might need a specific airframe to have trained on before(Like the Kiowa or the Apache) to then be able to train on the MH-6.

At this point, I will not assume anything, if I do not know something, I will ask for a clear answer, if you have advice, I will listen and pay very close attention. I am not just only focused on getting my wings, but also informing myself on possible future decisions. The way I work is that I hope for the best and plan for the worse.

Some of the things I have learned from the community here might apply to me some 5 years down the road, others comments or advice apply for my immediate training, in the end, the more information and knowledge I have, the stronger I feel. Since I am a civilian this will be a completely new environment for me and there is alot to get use to and even more things I need to learn about.

At least 3 army aviators have recently told you to focus on getting through IERW before you worry about the 160th.

If you're not maxxing the APFT right now or memorizing 5 & 9 then you're already behind the curve There's your advice, run with it.

• Like 2

Perfect, what is the 5 & 9? And where do I get it?

I am working on maximizing my PT, I got 100 on the push ups and the sit ups, working on going below the 14 mark on the 2 mile run.

Worry about 5 & 9 after you get to Ft Rucker.

You are on the right track, PT is your concern right now.

5 & 9 are the chapters in aircraft technical manuals that cover limitations and emergency procedures. You will have plenty of time to review that for the TH-67 prior to flying. Also, you will dump the TH67 stuff as soon as your done with primary and you'll have to re learn an advanced aircrafts 5 & 9.

I want you to put this in perspective. From the moment I graduated flight school until I assessed was 3 years. Add that and the time you need to get through all your courses and you have plenty of time to get yourself straight for 160th. You're going to have tons of warrant officer professional development and flight experience by that time.

So in a recap, worry about the things you can influence now. Physical Fitness and light studying. Get through all your required courses and if you're not tired of the Army by the time you make RL1 at you're unit. Then, you can start thinking about the next step.

I'm not trying to deter you from your goals, there were plenty that tried to strop me as a young WO1. I'm just recommending that you prioritize your focus on the things you need to do to be successfull in your current and next phase of training.

• Like 1

I have 88 days before I ship out to basic, I think I have plenty of time to learn the 5 & 9 and have a good head start.

Is there anything else that I can do to prepare for WOCS? (besides PT)

Even if you memorized it now, you will forget it by the time you get to primary. You will be filling your head with so much other information through BCT, WOCS, and BOLC that it's just not worth it. Focus on making the next step easier. For you, that's BCT. Yes it's easy but if you really want to study things then study the Soldiers Creed, Army Song, and PRT drills (preparatory, recovery, etc). It will all be taught to you in Basic (and geared towards the lowest common denominator), but if you are feeling motivated then go for it. For WOCS there's nothing really to memorize ahead of time.

• Like 2

Oh. It you can afford it, go take some vacations. Go for a road trip. Enjoy civvie life and vacationing because once you get to Rucker it's nigh impossible to get decent leave approved.

• Like 4

I ship shortly, but I quit my job and took a vacation with the family, actually to Rucker and the beach. My wife and I do PT every morning during the week and then take the kids to the pool. I would say relax, PT, and enjoy your personal time. I'm new to the military ,but not to aviation... so I have been going over refreshing airspace, helicopter stuff, and basic aviation topics that I have forgotten over the years. I'm surly looking forward to the adventure myself and have aspirations for the 160th, but one step at a time.

Oh. It you can afford it, go take some vacations. Go for a road trip. Enjoy civvie life and vacationing because once you get to Rucker it's nigh impossible to get decent leave approved.

I'll be spending some time in FL with my closest friends before I have to go back to PR and get shipped to Basic. Who knows when our schedules will sinc up again.

Flight school was the most exciting thing in my life so far. New horizons and all that.

BUT, experience all you can of home before you leave (if you like where you live, that is). I had an unexpected week to enjoy home right before I shipped out and it made all the difference. Go to the parks you've never been to, go to the restaurants you've always heard about but never tried, go do the dumb tourist stuff you were always too good for because you were a local.

:)

• Like 3

Flight school was the most exciting thing in my life so far. New horizons and all that.

BUT, experience all you can of home before you leave (if you like where you live, that is). I had an unexpected week to enjoy home right before I shipped out and it made all the difference. Go to the parks you've never been to, go to the restaurants you've always heard about but never tried, go do the dumb tourist stuff you were always too good for because you were a local.

:)

I worked as an ATV tour guide in Puerto Rico next to El Yunque Tropical Rainforest for over 2 and a half years, still supervising part time and helping them on the transition before I go. I have done most, if not all of the cool stuff to do in the island. I am ready to start the next phase of my life.

It was a cool job though, met the CW2 who gave a an LoR and many other very nice people that I still keep in contact with.

I think you should ask to fly this....

https://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH18/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=S3INC&cws=1&rid=1391

Description

The Multi-Purpose Tactical Vehicle (MPTV) Operator/Pilot/Instructor (OPI) is responsible for the safe operation, demonstration and training of crew members in a revolutionary, FAA Certified, multi-purpose powered parafoil. The MPTV operates on land and in the air, carrying 1 operator and 2 passengers to a certified altitude of 18,000' in day, night or instrument meteorological conditions. The MPTV OPI is responsible for demonstrating the capabilities of the MPTV to US Government, DOD and potential civilian/commercial customers; or to selected partner-nations. The MPTV OPI candidate must have a background as a military instructor pilot with a minimum of 20 years experience. Powered parachute experience as well as experimental and/or developmental flight test experience is highly desired. Military free-fall parachute experience required. MPTV OPI candidate should have a minimum of 4000 flight hours experience. Special Operations Aviation Experience is highly desired. The MPTV OPI develops courseware, writes operators manuals and checklists, training manuals and associated syllabus of instruction. MPTV OPI works with other team members to develop concept of operations for US Special Operations and other customers.

The Multi-Purpose Tactical Vehicle (MPTV) Operator/Pilot/Instructor (OPI) must posess the following:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- FAA Class 1 or 2 medical certificate, current at time of hire plus 180 days
- FAA Helicopter or Airplane (SEL/MEL) Instrument Flight Certification
- 20 years military aviation experience
- 4000 hours flight experience
- 1000 hours flight instructor experience
- Military free fall parachute experience
- Experimental/developmental test experience (highly desired)
- Powered parachute experience (highly desired)