New GI Bill Changes

Hover Lovers,

The new G.I. Bill is being revised, and it effects many things regarding those who choose their Flight Schools.

First, It calls for a Nationl Cap on Private Institutions at 17.5K for Tuition and fees , this could effect the Private School Flight Programs like Embry Riddle.

Public School looks like Flight fees will be covered still, without a Cap. This will go into effect in August 2011. In October 2011 the New (revised) G.I. Bill will cover non-degree programs and Tech Schools, including Flight programs. There is a lot to sort out, with both winners and losers.

Stay tuned! I moved to Colorado to attend a Degree Helicopter program because the fee limit in Colorado is so high. this allows all my flight fees to be covered, which varies from State to State. Having been deployed three times for 43 months, the GI Bill is a dream come true for me. Hopefully all you Vets can take advantage of what is offered.

"Keep it in the Green" Fly Safe,

Tom

Tommy Zoom,

I too am looking forward to the new GI Bill revisions. Im active duty still but want to start working towards my license. Do you know if the revision will pay for the Private Pilot License. Will the old version, you need to pay for the private pilot yourself, then you can use your GI Bill? Thanks

GM2PHH

Awesome. Good luck! I moved to Bend, OR fall of '09 to do the same thing at Leading Edge Aviation. It has worked out great for me so far. Have my commercial and instrument, starting CFI this week. I don't know what consequences these changes are going to have on us,but hopefully it all works out.

Hey guys,

It is, in fact, true that private schools are capped to $17,500 per year. If you have spent any time in the flight training program, you know this isnt nearly enough.

Public schools are affect too!

The amount of coverage for tuition is changed to cover only the IN-STATE tuition rather than all of the tuition. So, if you are at an institution that is charging you OUT-OF-STATE tuition, you need to look at the difference that will not be covered...and if the school tkes part in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Also, you need to ensure that you understand how your BAH will be affect. Now, you BAH is changed according to the class load you are taking. If you are taking 9 credits and your school says that 12 credits if full time, your BAH will reflect a change. In this case, you will receive only 75% of your BAH...provided you are eligible for 100% of your benefit.

Here are a few links I think you should check out.

Fly Prescott Blogspot

http://flyprescott.blogspot.com/2011/01/flight-training-and-post-911-act.html

Fly Prescott Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1580440564

Post 9-11 GI Bill Facebook Page

http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/the-post-911-gi-bill-us-department-of-veterans-affairs/changes-coming-to-the-post-911-gi-bill/10150158346654852

GI Bill Veterans' Affairs Webpage

http://www.gibill.va.gov/post-911/post-911-gi-bill-summary/Post911_changes.html

Yavapai College

www.yc.edu

Guidance Helicopters, Inc

www.guidancehelicopters.com

Military.com

http://military-education.military.com/2010/12/post-911-veterans-education-assistance-improvement-act-of-2010/

Hope this helps you guys.

If you have questions, post them on Fly Prescott! They can get some answers

I have read these new guidelines for the changes to the GI Bill, but I really don't get it. I'm not very keen about the details about all this stuff. I am not so much concerned with tuition or the BAH, just the costs of the actual flight training. I am coming up on my private checkride next week so I still have a long way to go. Can someone simplify it a little for me so I can know if I will be covered throughout my training or should I start preparing myself to pay out of pocket. Thanks in advance! And watch out for wires!!!

I have read these new guidelines for the changes to the GI Bill, but I really don't get it. I'm not very keen about the details about all this stuff. I am not so much concerned with tuition or the BAH, just the costs of the actual flight training. I am coming up on my private checkride next week so I still have a long way to go. Can someone simplify it a little for me so I can know if I will be covered throughout my training or should I start preparing myself to pay out of pocket. Thanks in advance! And watch out for wires!!!

Hey Adw,

I would really like to simplify it for you, but as it turns out, a lot of this really just isn't simple.

For example, today I discovered that the GI Bill is changing again. Here is what I suggest:

1) Continue your flight training and get as much out of your GI Bill as you can between now and August 1st...and make sure that you complete each course so that you are not required to pay anything back.

2) Secondly. check with your State Approving Agency on what policies they have for flight training. (i.e. does the flight school need to be Part 141, are they associated with a public or non public institution, do they participate in other GI Bill programs, etc)

3) Always keep checking the GI Bill webpage, facebook page, blogs, and discussion boards. Generally, there is always someone who is in your same boat.

Feel free to PM me directly for more specific questions. I have been involved in this for nearly a year now.

I am very confused. I have been in touch with Guidance Helicopters and they seem to be claiming that none of this new stuff is effecting them.

I just don't want to be in a program and then all of a sudden the financial situation totally changes on me.

I have read upon this also.

the new changes for the post 911.

what happens if we are in the middle of training like in the middle of the semester how would that effect the training

and does anyone know. by any change which schools offer the most turbine time?

I have read upon this also.

the new changes for the post 911.

what happens if we are in the middle of training like in the middle of the semester how would that effect the training

and does anyone know. by any change which schools offer the most turbine time?

I have personally read the bill and am a student at guidance. It doesn't effect the program there because they are viewed, in the eyes of the state and the VA, as a public school. Guidance Avation is private, but the link they have with Yavapai Community College enables them to stay "non-private" in the current program.

Things that ARE effecting the students at guidance:

1) Students will need to adjust their loads so that they have 12 credit hours each semester to get full BAH. This is a good change because a lot of students would just take classes and drop them or just take 7 credit hours to get full BAH. So for the students who are taking all their classes, they are uneffected.

2) This bill will level the playing field and allow schools to use more than the state cap, as long as it is approved by the VA. Guidance's program has been approved. Other schools that are using 30-50k a semester in fees will get looked at and probably have the wrath of the VA on them. Guidance does everything in the bare minimum and I have personally called the VA to make sure they won't be reducing what they are using at guidance. They won't, infact they are going to allow guidance to have MORE money during the instrument semeseter.

The out of state tuition change won't effect Guidance's students since Yavapais out of state tuition is something like $81 per credit hour, which is well within VA limits of total per credit hour of 600 something.