Bell 47 vs. Hiller UH-12 vs. Hughes 269/300

Ed-Rab

Thanks in advance for the advice I hope to receive from this posting. I am considering purchasing a piston helicopter and have my selection narrowed down to 3 choices: Bell 47, Hiller UH-12 and the Hughes 269/300. My criteria are value, 3 seat capability, and trailer-ability (that is, the smaller the physical size the better). My goal is to provide sightseeing and other simple means of generating revenue and I do not expect to fly in an environment in excess of 90 degrees.

All comments either from a flight, or maintenance, perspective will be greatly appreciated.

Hiller will be cheapest to fly and trailer the best. Blades off with any of them would also be best.

I just trailered a Hiller to Nebraska, and with a 32' trailer and almost 14' tall it is an adventure! But not that big of deal if you've done much pulling before.

What models were you thinking, 47G, G2, D1, G3B2, G4, UH-12B, C, D, E, Soloy, 300C, CB, CBi, etc...

Why not a 44 may I ask? Would do the job better than the others for sightseeing.

The 47's are nice but they are ridiculously expensive for parts now. Blades have tripled in price.

The 300 isn't the ideal machine for sightseeing with three, although it does the job. Only the C model can be flown with 3 people and it isn't that comfortable, very cramped.

I don't know much about the hillers.

On the 44 question, it seems like it will take a more significant investment both in the purchase and the operation. And depending on the model it's compared to, more to overhaul.

For the 47, it seems the D-1 would work fine, on the Hiller the C, and I haven't quite researched the Hughes very much to learn which models offer a 3 seat capability.

On the 44 question, it seems like it will take a more significant investment both in the purchase and the operation. And depending on the model it's compared to, more to overhaul.

For the 47, it seems the D-1 would work fine, on the Hiller the C, and I haven't quite researched the Hughes very much to learn which models offer a 3 seat capability.

Some 47 parts are REAL pricey, the D1 is on the low end of them.

Once you get real serious let me know, I know about every B, B/C, C model Hiller out there for sale right now...have some leads on others that aren't advertised too.

Enstrom may also be a good choice...

Some 47 parts are REAL pricey, the D1 is on the low end of them.

Once you get real serious let me know, I know about every B, B/C, C model Hiller out there for sale right now...have some leads on others that aren't advertised too.

Enstrom may also be a good choice...

Yes I'm interested in pursuing this further... my email is ed.78701@gmail.com.

Many of the ride operators out there use Enstroms. Few life limited parts and reasonable purchase price help. Your biggest issue will be re-installing the rotor blades. Since they are airfoils, they need to be installed bu an A&P and signed off. On the other hand, a 47 does have a recognition factor beyond almost all other helicopters.