A Question for Newbies

Nothing worth having is easy. One of the most satisfying things in the world is achieving a goal that you have set for yourself and this has been a goal of mine since I was a young boy. Due to many life circumstances I "gave up" many years ago. I got a job as a financial advisor for Morgan Stanley Dean Witter in the late nineties, when I was 23, and was talking to my Dad on the phone from the 66th floor of the WTC when a chopper flew underneath me. I am sure that pilot did not intend to ultimately be the reason that I am in training right now, 10 years later, but he lit the fire and all of the common sense in the world has never been able to put it out. I have never been happy in any job I have ever had and when I took my intro flight two and a half years ago I finally knew why. I have made money and lost money and am currently very, very, broke. Guess what? I am also happier than I have ever been.

• Like 2

Butters, don't forget; you sir, are a helicopter pilot. Job or not, money or not, that still makes you one of the coolest cats on the globe. Life is supposed to suck sometimes, that's how we are able to recognize the good times. Don't let a bad attitude ruin everything you have worked so hard to achieve and remember, it is always darkest before the dawn.

• Like 2

Butters, don't forget; you sir, are a helicopter pilot. Job or not, money or not, that still makes you one of the coolest cats on the globe. Life is supposed to suck sometimes, that's how we are able to recognize the good times. Don't let a bad attitude ruin everything you have worked so hard to achieve and remember, it is always darkest before the dawn.

You mean it is always darkest just before it goes pitch black? Lol..

I'm just kidding, I heard that from a friend a long time ago and your comment reminded me of it. But really, Thanks for the words of encouragement, they are more then true.

Butters, it's true, remember that you have a skill very few people in this world posses. It's hard to keep going, and keep motivated at times. I totally understand, I'll instruct for a month, add my logbook up and say, usually out loud, "THAT'S IT! That's all the hours I've done this month? I'm never going to make it." and it's very defeating most times. Just hang in there, keep plugging away and remember that you get to fly a helicopter! Some people get to sit in a cubical ALL day long staring at a computer and answering phones.. Which would you rather do?

• Like 2

Butters, it's true, remember that you have a skill very few people in this world posses...

True, but too many people looking for work (in the industry) have it too,...that's the problem! :(

To be honest, if sitting in a cubical all day paid enough for me to fly once a week, (on top of living expenses), I'd take it! :)

Hey!!!! I resemble that remark! Well, until I can find a job flying for a living anyway!

DITO! Other than I can't afford to fly once a week. But it is good for keeping up with the happenings on VR at least. Gave up the Flight line for a few years for education oportunities and Location.

Edited by gary-mike

Have any of you actually considered the fact that many of us fly for "fun" and for a "hobby".

It is amazing to me that everyone assumed when I started flying helicopters that I wanted to change careers. Why? People take fixed-wing flying lessons all the time for "fun". For some reason when it comes to helicopters ... everyone assumes it is a career move.

Edited by MileHiR44
  • Like 1

Have any of you actually considered the fact that many of us fly for "fun" and for a "hobby".

It is amazing to me that everyone assumed when I started flying helicopters that I wanted to change careers. Why? People take fixed-wing flying lessons all the time for "fun". For some reason when it comes to helicopters ... everyone assumes it is a career move.

I think it is because for most that is the only way we could afford to fly. Airplanes are a dime a dozen, owning and maintaining a helicopter for "fun" as you know is out of reach for many. Renting one is too for that matter.

Just my opinion, I am sure there are some that are rich and disagree.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Bachelors degree and figured pilot training costs about as much as a Masters degree, but ten years down the road I don't think I would be happier staring at a computer. It's worth the risk.

10 years down the road no, but 30 years down the road when you're ready to retire, the cubicle job with retirement, insurance, and a 401k would be nice...

Im tired of flying rc helicopters, tired of watching hh-60s and apaches fly around here in the desert tired of playing flying games and wishing with everything that i can actually do it. Will it turn into a career, sure hope so and i will certainly make many many sacrifices to get there and work myself to the bone, i guess thats a small price to pay to be able to watch helicopters fly around, and watch my friends fly rc helicopters and say "hey i can do that in a real helicopter." So am i making a mistake....Maybe but i bet it will be the best mistake ever! I havnt even talked to a school yet so not buying to any hype out there, i just know im gonna fly and its up to me to make it happen!

-Matt

I may be the voice of negativity on this forum, but, believe it or not, even I did not go into this thinking; "What if I don't make it?, What if I never find a job?". :(

I'm not saying, "Don't do it", I'm just saying, "You'd better have a really, really, good, back-up plan!", because if I were a betting man, I'd wager,... you're gonna use! :)

There are plenty of, more stable, jobs out there that would allow you to fly "recreationally", even once a week. Not all dreams have to become careers. Sometimes its actually better, if they don't. ;)

On a lighter note. In one of the more recent job posts, they mention that they may require you to be, "dual hated"? :P Its interesting how the loss of just one letter can change the meaning. I find that rather funny! :lol:

Edited by r22butters

10 years down the road no, but 30 years down the road when you're ready to retire, the cubicle job with retirement, insurance, and a 401k would be nice...

What's wrong with a helicopter flying job with pension, insurance, and 401K?

Im tired of flying rc helicopters, tired of watching hh-60s and apaches fly around here in the desert tired of playing flying games and wishing with everything that i can actually do it. Will it turn into a career, sure hope so and i will certainly make many many sacrifices to get there and work myself to the bone, i guess thats a small price to pay to be able to watch helicopters fly around, and watch my friends fly rc helicopters and say "hey i can do that in a real helicopter." So am i making a mistake....Maybe but i bet it will be the best mistake ever! I havnt even talked to a school yet so not buying to any hype out there, i just know im gonna fly and its up to me to make it happen!

-Matt

Hope you aren't too tired of it, I could use someone with a buddy cord. As far as telling your buddies you can do it in a real helicopter,I hope they arent doing much more than patterns and hovers. The Robbies don't hold an inverted hover too well. And if you try a blender with your CFI, at least one of you is gonna yack. lol

Nothing wrong with it, just not the norm.

I believe it is the norm for the major tour companies, news agencies, gulf operators, EMS companies, police departments, and the military. That covers a heck of a lot of commercial helicopter pilots out there.

I believe it is the norm for the major tour companies, news agencies, gulf operators, EMS companies, police departments, and the military. That covers a heck of a lot of commercial helicopter pilots out there.

A pension isn't normal for tours, gulf, or EMS. Government jobs are about the only ones left with pension plans.

• Like 2

A pension isn't normal for tours, gulf, or EMS. Government jobs are about the only ones left with pension plans.

Maverick Helicopters does offer excellent benefits: medical, dental, life insurance, 401K and more... Plus they are an excellent company to work for, however they aren't your normal tour operator, which is why they are so successful...

Maverick Helicopters does offer excellent benefits: medical, dental, life insurance, 401K and more... Plus they are an excellent company to work for, however they aren't your normal tour operator, which is why they are so successful...

I love how they aren't apart of TOPS so they can do more than standard rate turns and LOW Gs into the canyon. LOW G in a heli is such a trip and scares the sh*t out of me as a Robby pilot.

To "Newbies" (In quotes because we're all new compared to someone), for all we know, this is our one shot at doing something you love with your life. FLY helicopters! As far as jobs, who knows what persistence and timing will lead to. 2 CFI jobs were posted on this site recently that require 400PIC and before that was a 200 requirement in Fl.

I love how they aren't apart of TOPS so they can do more than standard rate turns and LOW Gs into the canyon. LOW G in a heli is such a trip and scares the sh*t out of me as a Robby pilot.

To "Newbies" (In quotes because we're all new compared to someone), for all we know, this is our one shot at doing something you love with your life. FLY helicopters! As far as jobs, who knows what persistence and timing will lead to. 2 CFI jobs were posted on this site recently that require 400PIC and before that was a 200 requirement in Fl.

Is there enough room in the Canyon to do a standard rate turn? :huh:

Are you saying that they dive the nose down entering the Canyon? That may cause a few passengers to lose their lunch! :lol:

As for those 400hr jobs. They required at least 100hrs of dual given, so the only ones who could apply, are CFIs who lost their jobs. And that 200hr place in Florida, good luck! I've applied around seven times in the last five years, and even with three times their minimums, I haven't even been worth a phone interview! :(

Timing,...ya, that's it! Its all about being in the right place, at the right time(and knowing the right person)!,...and of course hours! Without the right amount of hours, desire, persistance, hard work, and even experience, don't mean sh*t!

:)

Who knows, maybe if you had made a road trip there and met them in person you might have been worth it. Not a lot ever comes from putting your resume in for those type of jobs as someone will always arrive on their doorstep. It's just a matter of getting there first, having the qualifications and the right stuff!