Starting new career in R-22, HELP NEEDED!!!

Next_12

I recently started flying the R-22, I have (2) hours with the Helicopter Academy here in Jacksonville Florida...I absolutely love it. I am looking where to find books and/or sites that can help me study to move forward. If anyone has books or any info, I will buy them...I also need a log book; which log book should I use...ANY INFORMATION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! I also own Next 12 Performance of which is a motorcycle, scooter, dirtbike, car/truck shop...if anyone needs parts cheap. Thanks!!!

Ride Fast,

Dustin

Next 12 Performance

Last I checked, you could get the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook from the FAA website, for free(there may be other books there as well, i.e. weather).

As for the R22 POH, you can always ask your instructor if he'll let you take it into the office to copy it?

For a logbook, all you really need is the standard pilot's logbook (the blue one).

I recently started flying the R-22, I have (2) hours with the Helicopter Academy here in Jacksonville Florida...I absolutely love it. I am looking where to find books and/or sites that can help me study to move forward. If anyone has books or any info, I will buy them...I also need a log book; which log book should I use...ANY INFORMATION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! I also own Next 12 Performance of which is a motorcycle, scooter, dirtbike, car/truck shop...if anyone needs parts cheap. Thanks!!!

Ride Fast,

Dustin

Next 12 Performance

Dustin, congratulations on finding room for helicopters!

There are hundreds of videos, YOuTube stuff, FAA freebies and stuff. For just starting out and needing a place to get some basics, go over to http://www.sportys.com

FLy safe and have a blast.

Goldy

Your school should have provided you with a logbook and books to start studying. This is pretty standard in most cases.

I disagree, I don't think this is standard. It is important that student pilots learn how to seek out necessary information. BUT your CFI should have provided you with at least a short list of what to start with and a local location or website (there are many) from which you can purchase them.

Love what you do, do what you love. And welcome!

HG03

I am curious as to how long it usually takes to take the written and pass?

Regards,

Dustin...

Dustin, the RIGHT way to do it is to take a ground school class/course or ground lessons after your flight lessons. Reveiw each section, learn why, learn the FAR's, take a couple practice tests and take the real thing. Probably a 6 month process.

But you can take practice tests anytime you want for free, just go to www.mywrittenexam.com

Thanks for all the input...actually the Helicopter Academy does provide all documents...but I am currently on a budget and dont have the $10,000 down. However, my father passed away a few years ago and I have a trust...and my executor of my estate wants me to 1st pass the written, before she advance's funds. So this is the problem I am having. I do have a little money to order books...just trying to allocate my funds responsibly.

Ride Fast,

Dustin

With the ASA Prepware you can pass the written in less than a month!

I agree, if that's all that an ignorant executor wants to see before allowing you the funds to complete flight training then just get a written exam program (I suggest google "dauntless flight" or something like that) and memorize enough to pass the test. There will be a TON of things that you will not understand or have a comprehension of without doing a lot of reading and attending some ground school with an instructor but if you just need to pass the written, memory will be your friend (you only need a 70% to pass IIRC).

I would also suggest retaking the written after you are taught and before you take your checkride (flight and oral exam) to make sure that you really do have a good grasp on the knowledge and so you have a better test score to bring to your examiner.

Good luck!

With the ASA Prepware you can pass the written in less than a month!

That's assuming you have some knowledge of flying, airspace, weather etc... It's one thing to memorize questions on ADF's, RMI's and things of that nature when you are doing the IFR written. But this guy has 2 hours total. You'll never memorize the Private written when you know nothing about aviation..

Your CFI should be able to guide you on ALL your questions. That's what we're here for...

I did self-study primarily for my written. Purchased the dauntless software that DynamicallyUnstable recommended. Did a whole lot of reading too, but when it came time to take the text, I just ran through the software all day one day, then went and tested the next. Some things people might not realize, you will want to have your own plotter/flight computer and basic calculator for taking the test. My test ended up being about 50% flight planning, (routes, true course, time to arrive, etc.) questions, so having equipment you know how to use helps a lot. I'd recommend getting ground on how to use a flight computer, reading about it didn't do a whole lot for me, but being shown how they work made it all click into place.

You can do the test stuff before but it might take a bit longer. I did the online question bank and tests whenever I had spare time and nothing else to do and got up to a 70% score before ever stepping in a helicopter or visiting school. Took me about half a year of trial and error type sessions and a lot plain memorization of questions. Doesn't really help the real thing...

But if you just have to do it to get the funding - sure, why not. Can't hurt, either ;) Buy a few FAA books (Rotorcraft Flying Handbook, Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Aviation WX) for the basic background knowledge.

Another site to use is exams4pilots.com (Their question bank seems a tad older, though) and for ADFs, NDBs and VORs Luiz Monteiro's Flash Simulators are a great tool!

Edited by Hawkeye0001

Not to burst your bubble but you talk of starting a new career in the helicopter industry yet you are not even sure what books to buy. Like I said its not meant to take the wind out of your sails but I would highly recommend researching the industry you are about to spend $60,000 or more on getting into.

I have no personal opine of Boatpix but if there was ONE thing that I heard over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ( getting the point ? ) was to NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER ( getting the point ? ) pay UP FRONT.

• Like 2

Not to burst your bubble but you talk of starting a new career in the helicopter industry yet you are not even sure what books to buy. Like I said its not meant to take the wind out of your sails but I would highly recommend researching the industry you are about to spend $60,000 or more on getting into.

I have no personal opine of Boatpix but if there was ONE thing that I heard over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ( getting the point ? ) was to NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER ( getting the point ? ) pay UP FRONT.

Yeah, what he said.

$50/hr savings doesn't win over lossing 60k when they go bankrupt.

To avoid staying on this topic again

Get and read "Fatal Traps". Keep it in your library. I got it, read it, didn't start training because of "life" stuff. Now I'm reading it again and going to keep it on my bookshelf instead of in a box.

Just my .02

Woo Hoo!!!!!! Eye Surgery Tues!!!!! :)

NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER ( getting the point ? ) pay UP FRONT.

I'll third that notion!

...NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER ( getting the point ? ) pay UP FRONT.

Gee, I hate to go against the grain,...but;

If I could save $20-$50/hr by putting down 2-3K, I would do it(you'll blow through that easily in a week or two during training anyway!). I just wouldn't go higher than 5K.

Its when a school insists that you give them all of it up front, that should cause you to RUN!

:)

• Like 1

Big difference between 2k and 10k at least for this blue collar guy. Even if I put up ONLY 2k and the business went under before I could spend it, then it would be a pretty big blow to me.

REAL big difference between 2k and 60k !

The only time I talked to Boatpix, I had a lot of questions. The first and only reply ( because I didn't pursue it after that ) was - "Do you have $50k ?"

I no longer had any questions after that.

PS - I also would like to point out that buying in bulk is just a sales tactic in my opinion. Looking at very highly regarded schools like Tomlinson who advertises a rate of $265 including instructor, insurance, headset and fuel ( no surcharges or other surprises ) should be a benchmark when comparing school costs. No gimmicks or games.

If you are in business and know what your costs are then why can't you just give your bottom dollar price from the word go ? Why the discount for this or that ?

I'll save the BS for some other sucker, just give it to me straight.

Edited by Rogue