Brazil helicopter ride video - Low G pushovers

Real world? In the real world, we have tattle-tale lights that record every time you exceed a limitation,...

I was wondering if there were any helicopters out there with stuff like that? :huh:

Years ago I went to one of those four-day racing schools, and they had a similar device on the cars. Whenever one of us over-reved the engine, they would hit us with a fine. It could get pretty expensive if you weren't careful.

Maybe we should install them on AG helicopters, and make a little money! :P

• Like 1

I was wondering if there were any helicopters out there with stuff like that? :huh:

Yep....it's not that sophisticated anymore. Everything can be loaded on a thumb drive these days.

I fly an old B206LI/30P and it records everything I do. From the second the master switch is turned on, the torque, rotor RPM, N1, N2, TOT, etc are all recorded and time stamped. The satellite tracking couples with it to give the speed, time, altitude, etc. Overtorque or overtemp, it flags it. It knows EXACTLY where you were, and when you were to the second. Your story better match the numbers.

They were talking about putting in a box that had a gyro, so it could record the aircraft's attitude on top of everything. I would show you flying on Google Earth in 3D. Thankfully that and the voice recorders never happened.

• Like 1

Yep....it's not that sophisticated anymore. Everything can be loaded on a thumb drive these days.

I fly an old B206LI/30P and it records everything I do. From the second the master switch is turned on, the torque, rotor RPM, N1, N2, TOT, etc are all recorded and time stamped. The satellite tracking couples with it to give the speed, time, altitude, etc. Overtorque or overtemp, it flags it. It knows EXACTLY where you were, and when you were to the second. Your story better match the numbers.

They were talking about putting in a box that had a gyro, so it could record the aircraft's attitude on top of everything. I would show you flying on Google Earth in 3D. Thankfully that and the voice recorders never happened.

Sorry but when you get big brother type of flying it doesn't sound fun at all. Now those red lines are very important. I know in the ag world it happens. When you're halfway off the truck at max torque you only have one choice. (hopefully you only use the transient, if more then I'd hope you tell the mech) Then you know your limits are a little smaller that day so you take a few gallons less. Realistically the only time you'd get close to limits is on take off. You always land empty.

You don't need to kiss power lines or canyon walls on a tour though. And your ag turns shouldn't be any where near red lines at any point.

I never saw low - g.... It's beaten in to every 22/44 drivers head that most guys are afraid to even put the thing in a dive... I wasn't there, I don't know the circumstances and I will not speculate on the safety of the flight.

My rule is that I worry about me.. and only me. If that is the case then my passengers / crew will likely be OK.... There is so much "Captain Hindsight" in this business it is unreal.

Just be safe, don't do anything dumb and realize that whatever you do... It will be on You Tube... Whether is was good decision making or not...