My deepest thanks to the members of this forum...

Hey there, VR community - I'm Ryan, and I'd like to say two things: hello, and thank you.

Granted, you don't know me from the next guy, but I've been lurking around here for a long time as an unregistered guest, and this particular subforum has been a favorite haunt of mine. It's only recently that I registered myself, and this is my first time speaking up... but here's my story.

I finally got myself squared away enough to go down and speak with the Army about the WOFT program in October of last year, and throughout the entire process the discussions on this board (and a few of the regular threads over on military.com) have been an unimaginably awesome source of information and aid.

Fast forward to the present: I got "the call" this morning informing me that I've been selected for WOFT by the (Civilian) USAREC board which met today. Frankly, I'm still in a state of mild shock and the full impact has yet to hit, but one of my first thoughts was that a huge THANK YOU to this community was in order.

Huge gratitude in particular go to Lindsay, zVo, akscott60, SBuzzkill, JMcDonald, and rmiller for both the quantity and quality of your contributions here - I can say without hesitation that your collective information and musings were an essential element in my attempts at this goal. And anyone else I've missed, too; as I've been lurked I have come to realize that this forum, more than many others on the great wide web, has come to embody a spirit of friendly assistance and cordial, reasoned debate and discourse which are sadly lacking in the greater society we live in.

But I digress. One more time: thanks, everyone. It's been a pleasure to visit, and I'm hoping I can make more regular stops to this corner of the interwebs from now on. If military aviation is a dream of yours, I hope to see you on the line in the near future. For those who have already been selected and begun, feel free to call me out on the beer (or several) that I owe you for all the help you unknowingly gave me on my journey. It's a debt I'd be more than happy to pay many times over.

Go big!

~Ryan

• Like 2

Congratulations! That is excellent to hear. Would you by any chance mind sharing some info about yourself and the elements of your packet? That seems obligatory 'round these parts :P

Edited by BoxDude

When do I sign.. that is a *great* question.

It was supposed to be this afternoon, but after a 9 hour session of staring at the MEPS walls while an Inspector General crew tore apart the Army Liason office, I learned that the fellow ahead of me had scored the last ship slot available today. Since the DA guy at Knox had already bailed on home, I got the "come back tomorrow?" treatment. Hooray.

So hopefully tomorrow. Projected ship date is 23 May, but at this point I believe nothing until it's in writing.

Apologies for the omission of my quals from the first post; I've been lurking long enough that I shoulda known better. Here's a brief synopsis:

ASVAB: 95 / GT 129

AFAST: 148

Bachelor of Arts: Psychology

Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America

Certificates / Ratings - Commercial Pilot: Airplane Single & Multiengine Land, Airplane Single & Multiengine Sea, Instrument Airplane, Glider.

Flight Instructor: Airplane Single & Multiengine (Land/Sea), Instrument Airplane, Glider.

Ground Instructor: Advanced, Instrument.

Total Flight Hours - 920. 830 PIC, 128 Multi, 450 dual given.

US Merchant Marine: Captain ("Master of Vessels"), 100 ton.

Emergency First Responder, Primary & Secondary Care.

Open Water Diver.

FCC Marine & Limited radiotelephone operator credentials.

Letters: Three. Work supervisor, former colleague (ex-JAG Lawyer and current Gulfstream captain), long-standing friend (federal reserve lawyer).

APFT: 267. 59 PU, 69 SU, 13:02 run.

Battalion Board: max, 75/75.

That's pretty much it. I was on edge for two weeks between the BN board and the interview. Things turned out well in the end, though. Now I just need to put a lid on my frustrations, show up at 0540 tomorrow morning, and get this thing done. Or started, I suppose. All a matter of perspective...

Edit: Turns out that by the time Friday morning rolled around, the next ship date was 06 September. A bit disappointing. I'm doing what I can to position myself for an earlier ship if it opens up.

Edited by Vaelor

Frankly, I'm still in a state of mild shock and the full impact has yet to hit, but one of my first thoughts was that a huge THANK YOU to this community was in order.

Congratulations, Ryan!

I still feel that way and its been a month since I was picked up. At this rate, it probably won't sink in until I cross through the gates at Fort Leonard Wood for BCT. I'll PM you my contact info - keep in touch and I'll see you at Rucker.

If anyone knows how to make September get here faster, please post a response - I'm sure Ryan would love to know some shortcuts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, VR community - I'm Ryan, and I'd like to say two things: hello, and thank you.

Granted, you don't know me from the next guy, but I've been lurking around here for a long time as an unregistered guest, and this particular subforum has been a favorite haunt of mine. It's only recently that I registered myself, and this is my first time speaking up... but here's my story.

I finally got myself squared away enough to go down and speak with the Army about the WOFT program in October of last year, and throughout the entire process the discussions on this board (and a few of the regular threads over on military.com) have been an unimaginably awesome source of information and aid.

Fast forward to the present: I got "the call" this morning informing me that I've been selected for WOFT by the (Civilian) USAREC board which met today. Frankly, I'm still in a state of mild shock and the full impact has yet to hit, but one of my first thoughts was that a huge THANK YOU to this community was in order.

Huge gratitude in particular go to Lindsay, zVo, akscott60, SBuzzkill, JMcDonald, and rmiller for both the quantity and quality of your contributions here - I can say without hesitation that your collective information and musings were an essential element in my attempts at this goal. And anyone else I've missed, too; as I've been lurked I have come to realize that this forum, more than many others on the great wide web, has come to embody a spirit of friendly assistance and cordial, reasoned debate and discourse which are sadly lacking in the greater society we live in.

But I digress. One more time: thanks, everyone. It's been a pleasure to visit, and I'm hoping I can make more regular stops to this corner of the interwebs from now on. If military aviation is a dream of yours, I hope to see you on the line in the near future. For those who have already been selected and begun, feel free to call me out on the beer (or several) that I owe you for all the help you unknowingly gave me on my journey. It's a debt I'd be more than happy to pay many times over.

Go big!

~Ryan

Congrats dude!