spare fuses?

20071228_DSC_9928.jpg

The fuses on the right of this image... I suspect are the only fuses on an R22. So, my question is, is one of these really the 'spare' or would it be too much to carry a spare fuse as in the guidelines that say spare fuses as in FLAPS

Fuses (spares) or circuit breakers

Landing light (if for hire)

Anticollision lights

Position lights

Source of electricity

???? comments and insight appreciated :D

As an avid night flyer in the R22, I asked this question myself once.

I was told that the "spare fuses" required by the Regs, refers to the panel "inside" the cockpit. Since ours are just circuit breakers, that requirement doesn't apply to us.

:)

I have had to swap out this fuse. The one on the right is in fact a spare -- if you look at the back it's not connected to anything. The one on the left is for the clutch actuator. I've had to change the fuse when the clutch didn't engage at all on startup, and another time when the light came on and didn't go off. Both times changing the fuse solved the problem.

I have had to swap out this fuse. The one on the right is in fact a spare -- if you look at the back it's not connected to anything. The one on the left is for the clutch actuator. I've had to change the fuse when the clutch didn't engage at all on startup, and another time when the light came on and didn't go off. Both times changing the fuse solved the problem.

I've also had to change the fuse after the clutch light came on and stayed on. After the appropriate timing....8, 9, 10, oh crap, ummm,7,8,9 did I already say 10? Pull the CB!

Anyway, in my case the actuator was drawing too much current and just blew the replacement spare fuse again!

Just FYI, whenever power is lost to the clutch actuator circuit (fuse or CB), the clutch light will illuminate in the cockpit.

• 2 weeks later...

If the clutch circuit breaker pops the clutch warning light will actually go out. That fuse is there to protect the warning system. Say for example you are flying around and the belts need a little tension you would see the light come on for a second, now during that time the motor seizes up, draws to much current it will blow the fuse first, therefore stopping the motor, the clutch never reaches the needed tension to pop the switches therefore the clutch light will remain on as power is still being sent downstream from the clutch switch. You in the cockpit see this as the clutch light being on for greater than 7-8 seconds, pull the CB and land. If there was no fuse, that same situation would end up tripping the breaker, therefore the light goes out and you look at it as the light came on for a second or so and went out, perfectly normal and continue flying, you would have no idea you are flying around on non perfectly tensioned belts.

• Like 1