helicopter that crashed during bin laden raid

One thing that I want to ask is why the V-22 was not used. Wasn't the V-22 designed after the failed Operation Eagle Claw to rescue the Iran hostages. If you throw out the past problems and just look at the Osprey would it not have been a good choice for the mission. If the aircraft was designed for this type of mission then use it. I know it might be louder while in approach mode but it is faster than any helicopter out there.

One thing that I want to ask is why the V-22 was not used. Wasn't the V-22 designed after the failed Operation Eagle Claw to rescue the Iran hostages. If you throw out the past problems and just look at the Osprey would it not have been a good choice for the mission. If the aircraft was designed for this type of mission then use it. I know it might be louder while in approach mode but it is faster than any helicopter out there.

My guess is aircraft size and ability to get into the compound. Also, if these were modified 60's (as some reputable reports indicate), then the low observable nature of these aircraft offered a benefit that the V22 can't.

Plus, the unit that reportedly flew the mission doesn't fly the Osprey (as far as I know).

Well I would agree that the 160th SOAR does not fly the V-22 but the AF Special Ops guys do and this is right up their alley. I guess that the stealth abilities of the modified H-60 just made it a better choice than the CV-22. Just thought it was interesting choice to use.

Except as far as I can tell, that picture was created yesterday afternoon in adobe photoshop CS4.

If IF they decided to make a quiet blackhawk, they wouldn't have made the blades go the other way AND put the tail rotor on the other side. Unless someone can tell me of some logic that makes it matter, for quiet's sake. (I could buy the tail rotor being on the other side of the rotor system, but not just reversing the whole thing).

Not to mention, the pictures don't jive up.

Yeah def made up by an amatuer. Blades are facing wrong direction

• 3 weeks later...

As far as the mission goes, the two "Silent Helicopters" went directly to the compound and the two Chinook's stayed a ways back. As we all know, a Chinook isn't exactly quiet, so what was the purpose of the silent helicopters, other than trying to be quiet at the compound? I watched a special on T.V. that said they were worried because they didn't want the Pakistan officials to catch on right away because they didn't want anyone to know until after the fact. But wouldn't you think that the Chinooks kind of defeated the purpose. After all, a guy did twitter the whole thing. Just looking for some more information as to their reasoning with the "Silent Helicopters".

• 5 weeks later...

I googled image "modified blackhawk" and this is the image I got!

Pretty badass!

I guess this is as close a picture the general public may see. I just watched a new tv program "Secrets of Seal Team 6" on the Discovery Channel tonight. The animated helo on the Bin Laden raid looked very similar to this picture. They said on the show that the Special Teams programs have their own funding and can buy what ever they need to get the job done. They called it a heavily modified Stealth Blackhawk. Special paint, Cool Exhaust baffles, Special Body panels and Special Sensors.

They spoke about special radar jamming, maybe the Chinooks were carrying the jamming equipment. The USAF used the Wild Weasel platform in F4 and F111 to fly with fighter groups of the same type jets to jam the radar.

Later

P.S. If you are interested right now on the Discovery Channel has a program on disclosing some of the raid.

I imagine it will be like the SR-71 or F-117 - years from now the pictures will come out when everything gets declassified. I imagine the Chinese/Israeli's etc are very interested in this and it would have stayed a secret if not for that one tail section. Just makes you wonder how one gets selected to fly an aircraft like this. I'm sure there is no application process; they will find you!