Camera Help

Hey all,

we are looking for a camera system to use on some contracts we secured. The system has to have giospacial mapping capabilities. So far this looks like the best out there but want to make sure i am putting the $$s into the right equipment.

any input would be appreciated.

dp

RedHen_Brochure_VMS-HD.pdf

Hey all,

we are looking for a camera system to use on some contracts we secured. The system has to have giospacial mapping capabilities. So far this looks like the best out there but want to make sure i am putting the $s into the right equipment.

any input would be appreciated.

dp

Just use a cell phone. My phone takes pics, and then on google maps I can see where every picture was taken. even the ones in the Gulf of Mexico

• Like 1

What camera system are you using? I would ask the camera manufacturer for suggestions and maybe some customer referrals. Many operators are using this technology and have already done the legwork - no sense reinventing the wheel.

• Like 1

I used a Red Hen Systems setup about 10 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed some, but I have also worked in the geospatial world full-time for longer than that, so at least I have some background in it. I used the Red Hen at Ft. Huachuca, AZ (southeast of Tucson). At the time, we were trying to map erosion on some of the training areas. The system I used was the size of a cigarette pack and plugged into a digital camera that had dual audio tracks. One audio track recorded the GPS signal that the Red Hen collected. The other audio track recorded voice narration. We had a headset microphone plugged into the camera and when I found areas of bad erosion, I would turn the system on, narrate what I was looking at while filming (and collecting the GPS location). When I got back to the office, I would download the video and GPS tracks using their software. The software would plot an icon (or series of icons if I was moving while filming) on the map. When you clicked on the icon, it would bring up the audio and video that was collected from that point forward. Pretty slick system. I agree that there are a number of different systems out there that have similar capabilities. Do your research to determine what is the best for you and your situation. I wrote an article about it that was published in the March 1999 issue of Erosion Control magazine and the May 1999 issue of GPS World magazine. Unfortunely, neither magazine's online archive goes back that far. You might be able to find a copy online somewhere or in a library. Hope that helps. Shoot me an email at stephen.kroeker@us.army.mil if you have any questions. Still in the desert, but I'll be coming home in June, so I'm just about done.

Steve

• Like 1

Hey Folks,

Thanks for all the posts and pms, this system looks pretty amazing especially the on-line server data storage. It is expensive but so far is exactly what we are looking for.

As far as cameras; not sure yet, they will not be LIDAR or anything fancy this year, maybe an upgrade later. The rep gave me a SONY model number but not sure what it was and don't have my notes, he said the camera was around $1k tho so you get the idea of what we are looking at. The way the whole system works is amazing and i'll keep you updated as we go along.

Be safe over there Steve..

aloha,

dp