Accepted to active duty, want reserve or guard

Take it and run! Under the reserve/guard component their budget may not allow it and/or just don't have the open positions.

• Like 2

I got accepted for Active duty WOFT today, my question is there any way to change that to a reserve unit or what I really want, is to fly @ local guard unit.

Dude, take that and feel lucky. Arrange your life around this new opportunity. I wouldn't discuss this much further on here as there are plenty of applicants chomping at the bit for the opportunity to be accepted and they won't take kindly to you wasting a slot that could have been theirs.

• Like 2

Dude, take that and feel lucky. Arrange your life around this new opportunity. I wouldn't discuss this much further on here as there are plenty of applicants chomping at the bit for the opportunity to be accepted and they won't take kindly to you wasting a slot that could have been theirs.

I didn't waste anything Marine, nor am I looking for any opinions, I Asked a question wanting an answer not an opinion on what you think I should do. Nor do I need to spare anyone's feeling but me and my family's. By all means I would take this opportunity and run with it, but my situation has changed and I can't now, and I'm over it so everyone else should be too. I'm looking for answers not opinions. However Marine thanks for your reply

• Like 1

You could accept it and then later do what they call a palace chase (active duty to guard or reserve). You should go to your local guard unit and talk to some of the pilots and ask them what the best route would be to get into thier unit.

• Like 2

my situation has changed and I can't now, and I'm over it so everyone else should be too.

If you cant take it, then what is the question? Its easily a 2 year commitment from WOCS to graduation, flight school is the same no matter if you are NG, Reserve, or Active, and the deployment cycle will be just about the same right now as well. So, the only real question is, do you want to have a civilian job or get paid to be full time in the Army? The rest is minor details. It is hard for anyone to help you based on what little we know about your personal situation that prevents you from taking this opportunity. I guess you could reapply to a local NG unit provided they have open slots and you are willing to go through the process again.

• Like 2

I would be willing to go guard so I live local and keep my civilian job ( I make to much $$) ,....however w the guard the process is more difficult then active duty. I would have to transfer to the guard unit, go to mos school (when I am already a 7 level jet engine mech in the air guard) wait a year and then drop me packet again for an interview. Being 30 years old it would be pushing the limit on that front.

• Like 1

No. It doesn't work that way. If your local guard unit has slots, and no one to take them (unlikely) you might be able to work a deal where they give it to you on the merit of your active slot. But you have to give up that active slot, or take it as an active duty guy.

I got accepted for Active duty WOFT today, my question is there any way to change that to a reserve unit or what I really want, is to fly @ local guard unit.

If you really wanted to fly for your local guard unit, you should have applied through them. Your post reads like it comes from someone who is out for themselves and don't really care whether you offend someone, as long as you no longer need them. FWIW, I would be pissed if I went through ANY effort to help you get an AD WOFT slot and you tried to bail to the guard or reserves; or vice versa for that matter. But what the heck, since I did not participate in processing your WOFT package, go ahead and milk it for what ever you can. Good luck. (...hoping you don't come to my state) :blink:

I would be willing to go guard so I live local and keep my civilian job ( I make to much $$) ,....however w the guard the process is more difficult then active duty. I would have to transfer to the guard unit, go to mos school (when I am already a 7 level jet engine mech in the air guard) wait a year and then drop me packet again for an interview. Being 30 years old it would be pushing the limit on that front.

Well then, if it is more difficult, you should probably not do it. I recommend you stay where the pay is good. After all, who would ever want to leave a better paying job to work for the Army? Beside that, there is no guarantee you will get a full time job in the Guard when you get back from flight school. The title "level 7 jet engine mech" sounds pretty impressive. Why would you want to be a WO1?

All sarcasm aside, what Marine said is spot on. You are lucky to have an AD slot, whether you think so or not. If your attitude in your few posts here is any indication of your true attitude, any unit that gets you (AD or Guard) will be disappointed. "Dissapointed" is another way of saying "NO WAY!" to a full time gig in the Guard.

Edited by Rob Lyman
  • Like 4

Once again I'm not asking for your opinion and quite frankly i always speak frankly and straight to the truth.......once I could go active duty and now I can not go unless I stay local. Thanks for the reply though. 7 level jet mech means nothing. U get 3 level out of tech school, 5 level after cdc's, and 7 level is related to experience and time in service.

Rob too many people in this world are offended by nothing. I don't have to hide my emotions to anyone on a FORUM. I asked a simple question....is it all possible to switch an active duty slot WHICH IS MINE TO THROW AWAY IF I WANT. Into something I can use, because I can not use an active duty slot due to life changes WHICH CAME ABOUT AFTER I STARTED THE WOFT application. I never once said I didn't feel lucky for what I have in life ..... But simply am talking the frank truth.

How easy do u think it is to be at the beginning of fulfilling your life dream and not being able to go??????

Chrisshould,

I am by no means an expert, but I do know that any dream you allow yourself to be distracted from was not in fact a "life dream". If it were, you would go regardless of the cost. Spare no expense.

It really does sound like you have made up your mind and are simply seeking encouragement for your chosen path. If that's the case, then there's nothing wrong with that, but you need to frame your question differently.

For what it's worth, I strongly encourage you to retain your $$ job, your title of level 7 jet mechaninc, and your gig with the air guard. I am being totally honest when I say that it just doesn't seem like you're at a place in your life where you can be the pilot the Army is asking you to be.

If your life changes, feel free to make any other decision that suits you.

~V