College/Flight School that is covered 100% by Post 9/11 GI Bill

Hello all,

First post on these forums. I have been browsing this website and several others to get some information about obtaining my helo certifications.

I am currently in the U.S. Navy in a field not related to flying at all. I am looking to use my Post 9/11 GI Bill to attend a school to get my pilots license. I want to find a school that is 100% paid for with the GI benefits. I have looked at several schools that pay for the AAS degrees but do not pay for the flight lessons. I am looking for anyone that has been through this process or knows about it that can give me some schools that know how to use the new GI Bill to pay for the whole thing.

As an aside. I know that there is new legislation coming down for the Post 9/11. Does anyone have information reguarding this? I called the VA and the woman I talked with seemed a bit confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this whole process has been fairly confusing as many of the schools/VA seem to be confused as most veterans seem to use the 9/11 for "normal" college.

• Like 2

Hello all,

First post on these forums. I have been browsing this website and several others to get some information about obtaining my helo certifications.

I am currently in the U.S. Navy in a field not related to flying at all. I am looking to use my Post 9/11 GI Bill to attend a school to get my pilots license. I want to find a school that is 100% paid for with the GI benefits. I have looked at several schools that pay for the AAS degrees but do not pay for the flight lessons. I am looking for anyone that has been through this process or knows about it that can give me some schools that know how to use the new GI Bill to pay for the whole thing.

As an aside. I know that there is new legislation coming down for the Post 9/11. Does anyone have information reguarding this? I called the VA and the woman I talked with seemed a bit confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this whole process has been fairly confusing as many of the schools/VA seem to be confused as most veterans seem to use the 9/11 for "normal" college.

I was in the same situation, and I decided to go to embry-riddle prescott and so far its been great, I get 15k a semester to fly on which isnt really a lot but it works. And it doesnt hurt that all the time is rated at high altitude. There is an upcoming issue that would directly affect you from going to embry riddle, the GI Bill 2.0 fairness act of 2011; http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h1383/show

Because the GI Bill was recently changed to 2.0 come july 31 I will no longer be getting 15k a semester if the fairness bill doesnt pass. If it does I will be grandfathered in and continue on this path.

If not, (this is where it really pertains to you) Dodge City Community college has a good program and from what I've heard they can offer 50k a semester for flight training which is plenty to get all your ratings and then some. That is your most viable choice, as you would have to start in fall quarter for embry-riddle and thus be excluded from the grandfather clause. And another thing to keep in mind is in order for the VA to pay for flight training you have to be enrolled in a degree program. I know dccc offers online classes, but unfortunately my knowledge of that college is limited to what I've already told you. Call them, get some info see what your next step is.

Edit: Another good resource is Gordon at Universal Helicopters, hes been the one keeping all the vets here at ERAU informed on the current situation. Give UHI a call and they will pretty much have answers to your questions since they operate with both dccc and erau

• Like 2

http://www.yc.edu/ & http://guidancehelicopters.com/

Yavapai College

1100 East Sheldon Street

Prescott, Arizona

Offers a program through Guidance Helicopter, which is the same flight program ERAU used prior to them parting ways last year. They are also well versed on any GI Bill questions you might have, plus the program is through a public college.

http://guidancehelicopters.com/veteran.html

When using your Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill you will be able to obtain an Associate of Applied Science - Professional Helicopter Pilot Degree. This Degree Program will allow you to earn a Private Pilot Certificate, Instrument Rating, Commercial Pilot Certificate, Flight Instructor Certificate with Helicopter Rating and Instrument Helicopter Rating. Guidance Helicopters, Inc. is in partnership with Yavapai Community College in offering this Degree Program.

Based on your length of active duty service, you are entitled to a percentage of the following:

Cost of Tuition, fees, monthly housing allowance, stipend up to $1,000 for books and supplies, and more. Please email our VA Department at vadepartment@guidancehelicopters.com for further information.

Who is Eligible?

If you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 11th, 2001, you are eligible.

• Like 1

I'm currently in the Marine Corps right now and I am looking to do the same thing. So far I've talked to College of The Sequoias in Visalia, California. The guy I spoke to said that the 911 GI Bill will pay for 100% that's including the flight school with all your ratings. Apparently they are 1 out of only 3 schools that do this. They will get you your Private all the way up to CFI and Instrument ratings in 10 months time. They have alot of sailors from NAS Lemoore which is nearby currently attending while still on active duty. Look them up and give them a call. Here is the link.

http://www.cosaviation.org/

• Like 1

Hey Korny4u, welcome to Vertical Reference. There is a ton of great information in these forums and many helpful people to answer questions you might have. There are also a number veterans on here that are using their Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits for helicopter training, myself included. If you haven't already, check out the discussion here Post 9/11 GI Bill info; there is a list of most all the colleges/universities that have a helicopter program. The last few posts also explain some of the new changes coming out.

There are quite a few choices out there, so personally I would suggest you visit some of the schools you might be interested in if at all possible. Things to consider might include what part of the country you want to live and train in, if you desire a two or four year degree or are just in it for the flying, which helicopter you want to train in, do you want a program that includes a turbine transition or long-line course, etc. Since you are taking suggestions, I would highly recommend Central Oregon Community College's program in conjunction with Leading Edge Aviation in Bend, Oregon. They were the first helicopter program in the country to begin using the Post 9/11 GI Bill and are very familiar with it and the details. They are a really professional group of friendly guys/gals and I've also noticed that they have a good reputation in the helicopter industry. Otherwise I would also suggest Guidance Helicopters in Prescott, AZ or Palm Beach Helicopters in Palm Beach, FL. Feel free to PM me on here if you have anymore questions.

Oh ya, if you have not already done so find a local helicopter school wherever you are at and take an introductory flight lesson in a Robinson or Schweizer. Plus look into getting an FAA medical certificate just so you know there won't be any issues there.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to write a quick one about how Palm Beach Helicopters helped me acheive my dream.

I finished up my 6 year enlistment in the Air Force in March of 2010. I wanted to become a helicopter pilot and I decided to rely on Palm Beach Helicopters to make it happen. I am an OIF/OEF Veteran with the Post 911 GI Bill benefits. Through this program I was able to get my PPL through CFII in a little over a year and graduate from the associated college, Palm Beach State University, in 18 months with an Associates in Aeronautical Science.....FOR FREE. Technically speaking it wasn't free because the Post 911 benefits covered the expenses but as far as my wallet knows, it was free!

If there are any Veterans, or civilians, that need information about becoming a helicopter pilot and not sure how to afford the expenses please write me back!

I know so many friends that were worried about getting out the Armed Forces because of the economy and whatnot. I am here to tell you, YOU CAN DO IT!

As for an update to the courses availible this semester, the Post 911 GI Bill is now covering NVG, Turbine Transition and External Load. All of these courses are now being taught at Palm Beach Helicopters and I will be sure to update you about these courses as soon as I take them next month!

I hope this serves as a light in the darkness for anyone looking for a professional school to obtain their helicotper licenses. You're not alone and I will help you out as much as possible.

Good luck and thanks for reading!

EOD Heli

• Like 2

I was in the same situation, and I decided to go to embry-riddle prescott and so far its been great, I get 15k a semester to fly on which isnt really a lot but it works. And it doesnt hurt that all the time is rated at high altitude. There is an upcoming issue that would directly affect you from going to embry riddle, the GI Bill 2.0 fairness act of 2011; http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h1383/show

Because the GI Bill was recently changed to 2.0 come july 31 I will no longer be getting 15k a semester if the fairness bill doesnt pass. If it does I will be grandfathered in and continue on this path.

If not, (this is where it really pertains to you) Dodge City Community college has a good program and from what I've heard they can offer 50k a semester for flight training which is plenty to get all your ratings and then some. That is your most viable choice, as you would have to start in fall quarter for embry-riddle and thus be excluded from the grandfather clause. And another thing to keep in mind is in order for the VA to pay for flight training you have to be enrolled in a degree program. I know dccc offers online classes, but unfortunately my knowledge of that college is limited to what I've already told you. Call them, get some info see what your next step is.

Edit: Another good resource is Gordon at Universal Helicopters, hes been the one keeping all the vets here at ERAU informed on the current situation. Give UHI a call and they will pretty much have answers to your questions since they operate with both dccc and erau

I heard that the DCCC thing was in huge disarray right now from someone in town. Not sure how true that is.

As far as the guy at College of The Sequoias in Visalia, California who said they are 1 of 3, that couldn't be more wrong. Infact, in california they could NOT have been doing it before august 1st with the Post 9/11 GI Bill due to state caps (californias was not nearly enough for flight training). There are TONS of schools doing the post 9/11 GI Bill, and I don't understand why any school would say they are one of 3 or some crap.

OP - Do your research, check out schools you are seriously thinking about in person. It is a career decision, not just a training decision, so make sure you get along with the people there and its the type of place you could see yourself working after training is overwith.

Good Luck.

Edit - Sorry, didn't realize this was an old thread.

Edited by CaptainDune
  • Like 1

grand_sea, welcome to the forum! This is the place that got me squared away so I could start my training. I go to Aims CC in Greeley and Front Range as well. Feel free to ask me anything, and I will let you know how it all works, or is supposed to anyway! You can PM me, or just ask right here. Good luck brother!

whiteshadow

I second Leading Edge Aviation in Bend, Oregon. Crashed_05 is a newly hired CFII up there as well as my roommate. I'm pushing through the CFI program myself this fall and a turbine-transition course in a Bell 206B3. Great program. The flight school is part 141 approved and currently is in association with Central Oregon Community College for an Associates Degree in Aviation Science. Leading Edge Aviation is a rotary wing school only, however both Fixed Wing /Rotary Wing courses are available through the college. There are three flight providers through the college right now; Two Fixed-Wing and One Rotary-WIng. Both the college and Leading Edge Aviation are approved to accept the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill, and has been for about two years now. They been working out the kinks as time goes on and have got to a very good working state with the program layout and the Veterans Affairs. A lot of Post 9/11 GI-Bill students have been finishing up their rotary-wing degree requirements, then switching over to have some of their fixed-wing training paid for as well. Vice-versa with the fixed-wing students.

Feel free to message Crashed_05 or myself and we would be happy to give you any other information you seek about the college/flight school, as well as who you should contact at the flight school should you desire further information.

Edited by RagMan
  • Like 1

There are many options, especially if you go to a community college first (that has flight as a required part of the degree). There are only a few 4-yr colleges that are public that offer this service.

If I was just starting out under the Post 9/11 GI Bill 2.0, I would go to a community college and get my AS in Professional Pilot - Rotorcraft / Aviation Science. I would transfer to a four year college like UND, Embry-Riddle or what have you. ERAU is still doing the Yellow-Ribbon Program, so everything but flight is covered for those who are not grandfathered in. You also don't have to get a degree in aviation. You can get something that interests you that you could use as a backup career.

I was grandfathered in at ERAU Prescott, and my minors are my backup plan (accident investigation and safety (program management).

I can't tell anyone what is best for them. I have been in aviation for 10 years, and I cannot imagine being completely separated from it. So if I can't find a job flying, or for some reason I cannot fly anymore, I have somewhere to go within aviation that I still find very interesting. I have a degree in business admin, but I hope to never have to actually use it other than building up a helo company. :)

Be forewarned that you really need to do your research before choosing a school. While most schools out there are trying to be honest, there are some that are taking advantage of guaranteed gov't money. I would suggest looking through message boards, blogs, etc. But don't just make your decision off of that, there are some disgruntled students that slander flight schools because they couldn't hack it or whatever other reason. I've heard good and bad about pretty much every flight school that has a program like this. It's a relatively new program, and there are still a lot of kinks to be worked out, so you'll get frustrated at some point no matter where you go (this would also be true if you were paying out of pocket too).

Good luck to anyone looking for information, I have been very close with the changes in the GI Bill, and am decently versed in what you can do and what you can't so if you have questions, feel free to PM me.

Don't burn bridges!

Edit: I also didn't realize this was an old thread, but I'm sure other people will find it useful at some point.

• 5 months later...

For those of you that thought that responding to this thread was useless because it was old, you are all mistaken. I am reading this and I am gathering a boat load of information. I think the other thread http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/topic/12681-ch-33-heli-schools/ is doing the same for me in that I can see what the G.I. Bill used to be like, what it changed to, and what is is becoming. This helps a person like me (already footed part of the training bill, family man w/ mouths to feed, etc.), to get some good feelers out there as to what I can kinda plan for. Yes, granted, no one can plan 100% for what the gov't could possibly do, but at least knowing its capability will lead to better decison making. I am currently in that rut of not having anymore money to contiue training, and before reading this thread and a few others, was about to hang it up for more realistic things. This has given me a renewed determination to not let anything stop my helo training plans. Thanks to all of you that have done the countless of hours of research to find out all this info that is posted on here.

While right now I do not have much to add to this thread in regards to info about Ch. 33 MGIB schools, I would like to say "Thanks," and would also like to say keep the updates rolling.