Your first job as a pilot?

89 members have voted

1. 1. How long did it take to find your first job as a pilot? (those of you who have started within these past 5 years)

• Within 3 months
    • 3 - 6 months
    • 6 months to a year
    • More than a year
    • Still looking (within 3 months)
    • Still looking (3 - 6 months)
    • Still looking (6 months to a year)
    • Still looking (more than a year)

Ya, for an equal amount of hours that they pay for... Seriously, please just include the fine print in your pitches... I know times are tough and we need to build business as best we can, but this is stretching it....

it always works out for you if you go with boatpix.

Back on topic, How many of the 18 who were hired in 3 months were hired on with the school they trained at? How many of the 5 still looking didn't get CFI ratings?

Butters, I've seen postings for non cfi jobs for low timers in the past. One in St. Augustine FL flying a 44 doing tours that only required 200 hours sticks out in my mind... Did you apply for them?

• Like 1

Butters, I've seen postings for non cfi jobs for low timers in the past. One in St. Augustine FL flying a 44 doing tours that only required 200 hours sticks out in my mind... Did you apply for them?

This year was the seventh time (I think) applying to them. I've never even gotten a phone interview, and when I call, all I can get is the usual, "we're still going through resumes". Since they only want 200hrs, I imagine they must get pretty swamped with resumes every year?

Overall I've come across 13 different jobs (non-CFI) for low-timers, although these past few years it seems to be just the same two or three coming around again, Old City Helicopters and Air Photo Inc.

I guess I'm just not agressive enough?

I'm probably the only non-CFI?

:)

Edited by r22butters

Back on topic, How many of the 18 who were hired in 3 months were hired on with the school they trained at? How many of the 5 still looking didn't get CFI ratings?

I did get a job with the school I went to right after finishing my CFI. Then whilst working as a CFI, I finished my CFII a few months later

I also got hired at the school I trained at after my CFI.

I think this is skewed data anyways. This site tends to lean towards the "go getters" and you have to remember a good majority on here are the positive successfull pilots wanting to help. If you are looking for pity aand someone to share a sob story with, there is a sister site for that... I know I don't have to tell you what site that is.

Come on butters, you obviously have the drive and ambition to do this, just find your niche and go full throttle. People likeand feel for you...as long as they know you and see you putting genuine effort into your dream.

Hell I have sent you PM's for starter jobs not requiring 1500 hrs flt time, there is always an excuse for each one. Live the "suck" for a year or two and find your way into a dream job.

Not saying you don't try,but it is past time for you to slay the demons and go show these possible employers why you are the one for the job... Or you can wait awhile longer and let me fill the possition.

• Like 3

I think this is skewed data anyways. This site tends to lean towards the "go getters" and you have to remember a good majority on here are the positive successfull pilots wanting to help. If you are looking for pity aand someone to share a sob story with, there is a sister site for that... I know I don't have to tell you what site that is.

Come on butters, you obviously have the drive and ambition to do this, just find your niche and go full throttle. People likeand feel for you...as long as they know you and see you putting genuine effort into your dream.

Hell I have sent you PM's for starter jobs not requiring 1500 hrs flt time, there is always an excuse for each one. Live the "suck" for a year or two and find your way into a dream job.

Not saying you don't try,but it is past time for you to slay the demons and go show these possible employers why you are the one for the job... Or you can wait awhile longer and let me fill the possition.

I'm not looking for pitty, or any sob stories. I was just curious as to how others have faired in their efforts to start a career in the same time period that I have been trying.

Those excuses, by the way, are why they won't hire me, not why I won't take the job. I am more than willing to live the "suck" life to pay my dues. I've lived in my car before, I'm perfectly willing to do it again.

• Like 1

but can’t seem to get past the whole ‘blowing chunks’ as a passenger, while someone else performs maneuvers, part! Its also why I cannot take pictures from a helicopter.

I hate to tell ya and I know you know this, but this is what you need to overcome in order to move forward. This is, and always will, keep you from being hired. Furthermore, being a passenger in a helicopter from time-to-time is routine for a professional pilot. This is true in Canada and Australia.

Getting airsick is not a positive quality of a helicopter pilot. However, many others have corrected this condition in order to succeed. So can you..

I hate to tell ya and I know you know this, but this is what you need to overcome in order to move forward. This is, and always will, keep you from being hired. Furthermore, being a passenger in a helicopter from time-to-time is routine for a professional pilot. This is true in Canada and Australia.

Getting airsick is not a positive quality of a helicopter pilot. However, many others have corrected this condition in order to succeed. So can you..

I'm actually ok as a passenger, unless the "pilot" doesn't know how to hover yet, we have to continually fly up, down, and around the pattern, or, of course, I'm looking through a camera lense.

However I doubt anyone would hire a CFI to only teach cross country?,...oh well.

• Like 1

unless the "pilot" doesn't know how to hover yet, we have to continually fly up, down, and around the pattern, or, of course, I'm looking through a camera lense.

Okay then, by the information you’ve provided, your condition seems to be normal. Many new CFI’s suffer airsickness when they are new. It’s about control (physiological) and not simply about “blowing chunks” (physiological). Understanding this can lead to a solution. Basically, ya just get out there and fight through it then one day, bingo, no worries.

As far as looking through a lens, again it’s completely normal to get queasy. There are techniques available to prevent this from happening. Just like anything else, ya gotta know what to do……

Have you tried ground up ginger, I know a guy that takes it and he says it works great. Sometimes I drink coffee before I fly and doing the type of flying that I do, it involves tight turns and constantly quick stopping and flying in different directions. I get queezy from the coffee, being a diuretic and all, especially if I haven't eaten much food.

maybe you should get a career behind a desk. there are lots of those available, and none will make you airsick.. and I am sure most wont require you to look through a camera

• Like 2

maybe you should get a career behind a desk. there are lots of those available, and none will make you airsick.. and I am sure most wont require you to look through a camera

If my goal was to be an aerial photographer, or TFO, then I would take your advice. However, there are plenty of jobs (as a pilot) that won't make me airsick, or force me to look through a camera. Flying tours for instance!

<_<

Just to add a touch of realism....might wanna be careful what you wish for! If I was in your shoes I'd be darn sure to desensitize myself to airsickness long before I showed up for my first legit tour gig. Strong thermals, gusty weather systems and frequent AIRMET Tangos, ridgeline transitions and winds regularly 25-30kts, a/c that brings the cabin temp to a cozy 100F, and a good percentage of passengers who hail from ethnic regions where body and food odor tolerance is significantly higher than is generally acceptable here in the States, all make for quite nauseating normal flight conditions, at least in the Canyon. Also, if you are prone to sympathetic reactions, there are plenty of pukers on the nice days too, and the EC130 has no fresh air vents. :blink:

20/20 hindsight is brutal...maybe best to address things before you get the job you've waited all these years for. It would be a cryin' shame to get there and be quickly eliminated by something you already knew to be a risk factor.

HG03

edit: Since the CFI route seems to be under contention....At least in the Canyon, from what I've learned, the 1000hr operators have so many qualified applicants that they tend to steer clear of those few with no teaching background, as they've had bad experiences hiring low-time pilots with too many hours of self-taught poor habits. Good teachers are typically good learners. Food for thought.

• Like 1

Strong thermals, gusty weather systems and frequent AIRMET Tangos, ridgeline transitions and winds regularly 25-30kts, a/c that brings the cabin temp to a cozy 100F, and a good percentage of passengers who hail from ethnic regions where body and food odor tolerance is significantly higher than is generally acceptable here in the States,

I've had the sh*t kicked out of me enough times in the R22 to know that (as long as I'm on the controls) gusty winds and turbulance don't bother me. Actually, they don't even bother me on airliners anymore. :)

Pungent foreigners and no fresh air vents! Well,...I guess that's the French for ya? :lol:

As for the "no teaching experience" problem. Not having that damn CFI rating has been a huge thorn in my side. It seems that without it, most people have already made up there minds about my abilities,...oh well.

;)

a good percentage of passengers who hail from ethnic regions where body and food odor tolerance is significantly higher than is generally acceptable here in the States, all make for quite nauseating normal flight conditions, at least in the Canyon. Also, if you are prone to sympathetic reactions, there are plenty of pukers on the nice days too, and the EC130 has no fresh air vents. :blink:

HG03

Well Emily, you just talked me out of it. :o

Well Emily, you just talked me out of it. :o

Hahaha. My point was just that people think tours are a beginner joke, which is fair as far as deciding where you're going and figuring out how to get there. But other than that, it is a long hard slog in every way for 14hrs a day at MGW and high DA. If you don't enjoy the actual SOCIAL/TOUR part of it, you'll most likely not make much $$, be unhappy, and get out asap. Personally, I actually LIKE the people part of it so I can take the rest of it a little better than some...probably why I enjoyed teaching more than the average joe too! ;)

Hahaha. My point was just that people think tours are a beginner joke, which is fair as far as deciding where you're going and figuring out how to get there. But other than that, it is a long hard slog in every way for 14hrs a day at MGW and high DA. If you don't enjoy the actual SOCIAL/TOUR part of it, you'll most likely not make much $$, be unhappy, and get out asap. Personally, I actually LIKE the people part of it so I can take the rest of it a little better than some...probably why I enjoyed teaching more than the average joe too! ;)

Well said. You're definitely a "people person" so I'm not surprised you are good at it and enjoy it. But it takes a special kind of person to tolerate other peoples body odor and vomit.

I suppose I'll probably end up where all my coworkers go at age 57 - Afghanistan. :(

• Like 1

It seems that without it, most people have already made up there minds about my abilities,...oh well.

Getting hired has nothing to do with ones’ “abilities” as everyone in the pool has the same ability. Getting hired has everything to do with past experience, judgment and attitude. If an applicant lacks any of these qualities and then piles on a limitation (like getting airsick) then finding a job will be, at minimum, extremely difficult.

• Like 2

...and then piles on a limitation (like getting airsick) then finding a job will be, at minimum, extremely difficult.

I'll take that off my resume then. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Dont get discouraged. keep sending your resumes to every job you qualify for and even ones your are just barley not qualified for. found myself a job 4 months after i finished training. jobs are out there, dont be picky, you only get one shot. its worth relocating across the country for.

• Like 1

...dont be picky,

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!

you only get one shot.

You couldn't be more right! Had mine over 5yrs ago,...blew it,...haven't had one since!!!

:(

its worth relocating across the country for.

At one time,...anywhere on the planet!,...not so sure anymore?

:mellow:

Edited by r22butters
  • Like 1