Your first job as a pilot?

89 members have voted

1. 1. How long did it take to find your first job as a pilot? (those of you who have started within these past 5 years)

• Within 3 months
    • 3 - 6 months
    • 6 months to a year
    • More than a year
    • Still looking (within 3 months)
    • Still looking (3 - 6 months)
    • Still looking (6 months to a year)
    • Still looking (more than a year)

Butters, I'm just curious as I do not know nor have I seen any topic that might be related to, but what is your flying situation like right now?

Last rating you completed and what time frame?

Currently working towards a rating?

Are you current with flight time?

Making any progress within the community that might lead to a job?

Talk to any employers to keep your name and face in their doorstep?

What about the school you trained at; Still flying with them? Any possibility with a job once your training is finished?

Just trying to figure out your position. Thanks in advance.

If you are a cfi and can't find a job and don't want your career to end because you can't find a first job you can always pay us $20,000 for 100 hours in our R22 program and be guaranteed a first job: http://www.helicopte...my.com/hire.htm This has worked well for soooooo many people. If you have a job and a credit card we can make this work.

I still don't see how it is a job if the pilot applying is paying $20,000 for the time....... Technically, that's not a job; That is renting an aircraft.

This year was the seventh time (I think) applying to them. I've never even gotten a phone interview, and when I call, all I can get is the usual, "we're still going through resumes". Since they only want 200hrs, I imagine they must get pretty swamped with resumes every year?

I guess I'm just not agressive enough?

I'm probably the only non-CFI?

smile.gif

If you've sent "7 resumes and don't even get a phone interview"?, you need to figure some stuff out.

Is this something you qualify for?

Is this something you really want?

Are you current?

Can you get there in person? If that's all "yes" then make an appointment to "visit" before the next hiring decisions are made, and sell it. Nobody gets every job they want, but the guy who shows face at the right time and is ready to rock has 1000 times better chance than any stack of resumes, and 100 times better shot than any phone interview...

• Like 1

1. Last rating you completed and what time frame?

2. Currently working towards a rating?

3. Are you current with flight time?

4. Making any progress within the community that might lead to a job?

5. Talk to any employers to keep your name and face in their doorstep?

6. What about the school you trained at; Still flying with them? Any possibility with a job once your training is finished?

Well here we go again. :rolleyes:

1. Commercial, five and a half years ago.

2. After my third attempt (last month) I have decided that being a CFI is not for me. I also have 41hrs IFR, but was not able to take the checkride (problems with the school, long story). That was about seven years ago, and I don't wish to spend more money with another school to finish a rating I'll never use. (maybe if the economy improves)?

3. I am night current in the R22, and BFR current in the R44.

4. No

5. Yes

6. I do not live near the school with whom I trained, and the last time I contacted them, they said they didn't know of anyone who would hire "just a Commercial Pilot", with only 650hrs.

I also enjoy long walks on the beach, and am not affraid to cry. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

If you've sent "7 resumes and don't even get a phone interview"?, you need to figure some stuff out.

Is this something you qualify for?

Is this something you really want?

Are you current?

Can you get there in person? If that's all "yes" then make an appointment to "visit" before the next hiring decisions are made, and sell it. Nobody gets every job they want, but the guy who shows face at the right time and is ready to rock has 1000 times better chance than any stack of resumes, and 100 times better shot than any phone interview...

Keep in mind, that's seven resumes in over five years, so its not as bad as it sounds.

I have three times their minimums, both "total" and "in type", plus I have more than enough "related" experience.

The last time they were hiring, I was not only current, I had just been to RHC (the job's in an R44).

I live on the other side of the country, so delivering a resume "face-to-face" isn't really an option.

After all this time, I doubt I'll send them a resume next time.

:)

Well Helicopter Academy can guarentee a job after 300hrs so I will go there an once I have 200 hrs (or whatever the minimum requirement is for most CFI jobs) and apply everywhere, then if I can't find anything before I get 300hrs there I'll get a job there. They also have a location in Seattle and Chicago which is perfect for me.

The page is loading in a new tab as I type...

I'm still only 15 though, I have good grades but no plans for college, instead I plan on working at a department store (like a HS dropout) and flying on weekends at a place near Oak Lawn (or Chicago). My plan is flawed, so how should I improve it?

Well Helicopter Academy can guarentee a job after 300hrs so I will go there an once I have 200 hrs (or whatever the minimum requirement is for most CFI jobs) and apply everywhere, then if I can't find anything before I get 300hrs there I'll get a job there. They also have a location in Seattle and Chicago which is perfect for me.

Well.... Best of luck to you! Think there are plenty more options available to you other than that route, but if that's what you feel is the right thing to do, go for it. I think since you mentioned Seattle, there are a few great schools up in this area you should look into. One being Jerry Trimble Helicopters in McMinnville, OR. The second one being Leading Edge Aviation here in Bend, OR.

Just remember one thing; It's not a job if you pay $20,000 for 100 hours worth of flight time to circle boats. That's called renting an aircraft; Something Boatpix hasn't figured out yet. Good luck to you.

• Like 1

Never give up. I finished CFII in October 2009. Since then, I've made lots of phone calls, shaken lots of hands, and most everyone has my resume. Around 8 months ago, I built a website pro-bono for some friends who started a flight school and was lucky enough to get a very part-time gig teaching there. That helped me stay current and log recent hours. Then in July it all paid off. I'm now a full-time instructor at a very busy school. The work is out there. It just takes an incredible amount of patience and persistence. Stay positive and whatever you do, don't give up.

• Like 4

I've gotta say, I'm with Matas on this one.

As I've said before (probably in this very thread) :lol: if I was a 180lbs CFI with an exrtra 20k, I'd go with BP (but, ONLY if they let me keep that job I just bought until I had 1500hrs)! Sign a contract dude!

:ph34r: :huh: :D

Never give up. I finished CFII in October 2009. Since then, I've made lots of phone calls, shaken lots of hands, and most everyone has my resume. Around 8 months ago, I built a website pro-bono for some friends who started a flight school and was lucky enough to get a very part-time gig teaching there. That helped me stay current and log recent hours. Then in July it all paid off. I'm now a full-time instructor at a very busy school. The work is out there. It just takes an incredible amount of patience and persistence. Stay positive and whatever you do, don't give up.

Congrats! I just got back into flying helos after flying planes for the last 3000 hours. At 300 TT helo, I would need to be an instructor but with the economy being horrible, not sure my chances of finding a gig. I would also need to get the CFII Helo. Unfortunately, I was laid-off last June and now living on severance until I can find a job, any job.

Another issue is a lot of schools use Robbies; just about all my helo time is in Hughes/Schweizers.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a unique and very lucky situation. My father owns an aerial application business. I had a job before I even got my commercial ticket as long as I was deemed safe behind the controls.

I got my commercial ticket, was told by my father that if I could pick up the basic skills (ag turns, hitting the truck, satloc, etc) fairly quickly I would be able to work for him flying OH-58's. Spent about 5 hours dual with him teaching me a quick turbine transition and everything else, then he turned me loose on my own to work out the kinks and I started working a few weeks later when the seaon started.

So at 165ish TT I was cut loose in an OH-58 and have been learning the ropes ever since. I pick the brains of the other pilots that work for my dad as often as I can. Hoping to take over the family business one day.

Edited by Rotorhead84

I had a unique and very lucky situation. My father owns an aerial application business. I had a job before I even got my commercial ticket as long as I was deemed safe behind the controls.

I got my commercial ticket, was told by my father that if I could pick up the basic skills (ag turns, hitting the truck, satloc, etc) fairly quickly I would be able to work for him flying OH-58's. Spent about 5 hours dual with him teaching me a quick turbine transition and everything else, then he turned me loose on my own to work out the kinks and I started working a few weeks later when the seaon started.

So at 165ish TT I was cut loose in an OH-58 and have been learning the ropes ever since. I pick the brains of the other pilots that work for my dad as often as I can. Hoping to take over the family business one day.

Its amazing what a 150hr Commercial Pilot is capable of doing,...if he has someone who believes in him!

;)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I know of a nice young lady that when she got her commercial helicopter cert. she went to work for her Dad logging in a huey. He had already been teaching her the VR longline stuff when she received her private cert. It's all doable, but it's very unlikely at low hrs like that. Get out there and network and keep positive.

Steve

I know of a nice young lady that when she got her commercial helicopter cert. she went to work for her Dad logging in a huey. He had already been teaching her the VR longline stuff when she received her private cert. It's all doable, but it's very unlikely at low hrs like that. Get out there and network and keep positive.

Steve

Screw networking!,...is she single? :D

r22butters,

She was back in 2005 when I finished my training, but could not tell ya if she now or not. I have not been in contact with her since I left the flight school in 2005.

Steve

2. After my third attempt (last month) I have decided that being a CFI is not for me. I also have 41hrs IFR, but was not able to take the checkride (problems with the school, long story). That was about seven years ago, and I don't wish to spend more money with another school to finish a rating I'll never use. (maybe if the economy improves)?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D

You've got the wrong thinking there. You may never actually fly instruments but you will use you instrument rating. You will use it to get a job. As you know it's required for most vfr jobs. So you would be using it to qualify. It's like the core classes at college that don't actually pertain to your chosen degree.

...you will use you instrument rating. You will use it to get a job. As you know it's required for most vfr jobs. So you would be using it to qualify. It's like the core classes at college that don't actually pertain to your chosen degree.

I agree,...sadly my pocketbook does not!

;)

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So lesson learned is?

You got the job due to your active networking and who you knew. When the time was right, the opportunity was presented. Enough said.

Anyone looking for a helo pilot job, who is not attending Vegas this weekend, is making the single biggest mistake of their career.

For those that are attending, see you there!

Goldy

• 1 month later...

I got my first commercial job fly law enforcement. started training in January 2008, commercial in june 08' started getting paid to fly law enforcement june 08. CFI in November 2008. First corporate transport job started April 2009 after i was the lucky guy that answered the phone and a guy was looking for a pilot for his R44 as he needed frost protection on his fields, which then led me to his corporate pilot. Left previous position to fly corporate in april 2010 full time and still was flying LE part time. Bought a tour company in 2011 and haven't looked back.

• 1 year later...