National Guard WOFT question

Ok, I've been trying to find a legitemate answer to this question but I've found numerous inconsistancies both on the National Guard's website as well as "first hand" answers.

My question(pertaining to National Guard only): Can a civilian with ZERO military experience apply/interview for and be accepted to WOFT? (aka ENLIST with the GUARANTEE and sole purpose of attending WOFT to become a helicopter pilot)

According to http://www.nationalguard.com/guard-basics/faq it IS possible:

Q: Is it possible to enlist and go straight into flight school?

A: Civilians can enlist and pursue a direct path toward becoming a helicopter pilot. If you qualify as a Warrant Officer Flight Training Candidate, you'll enter Basic Training Basic Training:

Basic Training (BT) is a 10-week course of intense physical and mental training, during which recruits develop essential Soldier skills, discipline and values., then enter Warrant Officer Candidate School (WOCS) followed by Warrant Officer Flight Training (WOFT).

But then, on page 5 of their Warrant Officer Application Guide it clearly states:

...the applicant must:

(1)Be a current National Guard (ARNG) member in good standing; Warrant Officer Flight Training (WOFT) enlistment option is not authorized in the ARNG.

Soooo, anyone know which is correct? I've searched high and low but have yet to find good, hard PROOF either way.

Thanks in advance!

Ok, I've been trying to find a legitemate answer to this question but I've found numerous inconsistancies both on the National Guard's website as well as "first hand" answers.

My question(pertaining to National Guard only): Can a civilian with ZERO military experience apply/interview for and be accepted to WOFT? (aka ENLIST with the GUARANTEE and sole purpose of attending WOFT to become a helicopter pilot)

To the best of my knowledge, no. I have a friend in the NH ARNG who was in your shoes. Once you're MOS qualified as in made it through basic, AIT etc. you can submit a package and go before the aviation unit's board in your state.

According to http://www.nationalguard.com/guard-basics/faq it IS possible:

But then, on page 5 of their Warrant Officer Application Guide it clearly states:

Soooo, anyone know which is correct? I've searched high and low but have yet to find good, hard PROOF either way.

Thanks in advance!

Try to get a hold of an actual Warrant Officer Strength/Career Manager in your state. If it's possible, and you're eligible, they will be your best resource for pursuing it. They would also tell you if you would be a good candidate/fit for WOFT.

You can go through the majority of the process as a civilian, so my advice would be to see if you're even eligible first - take the AFAST (min score is 90) and ASVAB (min GT score is 110), get the flight physical, find out if you're eligible to receive a security clearance, tour the unit you would be going to and interview with various officers in the command, etc.

Once you get as far as you can under civilian-status, you'd have a better understanding of your options and could make an informed decision from there...

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, Fighter is 100% correct. You can take the AFAST and physicals while civilian to get a better idea of your competitiveness, but you cannot go straight to WOFT as a guard applicant. You would need to enlist in the Guard first, complete Basic and the AIT for your MOS, and then drop a WOFT packet through your unit.

This is obviously all made significantly easier if your Guard job is with an Aviation unit to begin with, since they will understand (and be much more likely to support) your choice than one of the other branches will.

~V

Thank you for your responses. So would you guys say that it is or is not possible to enlist with a guarantee of WOFT?

I'm still hung up on this:

Q: Is it possible to enlist and go straight into flight school?

A: Civilians can enlist and pursue a direct path toward becoming a helicopter pilot. If you qualify as a Warrant Officer Flight Training Candidate, you'll enter Basic Training (BT), then enter Warrant Officer Candidate School (WOCS) followed by Warrant Officer Flight Training (WOFT).

It makes me think that it's definitely POSSIBLE, but sounds like it's a rare occurance?

After I finish my PPL I do plan on taking the AFAST, ASVAB, PFT and the flight physical.

Hypathetically speaking, say I did REALLY well on all my tests, have my PPL-H and ~100 hours PIC, have a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, I'm an Eagle Scout & an Ironman triathlon finisher, and that there's a demand for heli pilots in one of my local units, in your opinions what would you say my chances are at enlisting into WOFT?

• Like 1

Hypothetically speaking, say I did REALLY well on all my tests, have my PPL-H and ~100 hours PIC, have a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, I'm an Eagle Scout & an Ironman triathlon finisher, and that there's a demand for heli pilots in one of my local units, in your opinions what would you say my chances are at enlisting into WOFT?

Although those are impressive qualities that will serve you well at your state's aviation unit's board, you'll still have to enlist, go to basic, AIT and be MOS q'd before you can drop a packet because you're a civilian. Like someone said above, you can do everything possible to "plant the seeds" beforehand. For example, befriend pilots in your state's aviation unit(s), interview well at the unit you're intending on enlisting into; making it clear your eventual intention of dropping a packet etc.

I'm not sure of the ARNG's reasoning on this but my assumption is that there needs to be some record of merit in the military before they'll award you their coveted IERW slots.

It's interesting though because for active duty you can go "street to seat".

I have been holding off on replying to this because I do not have any first hand experience with this, but I feel I can still answer the question of whether or not it is possible.

I have a friend who is in the Guard (somewhere in the NE can't remember which state) who enlisted and pretty much went straight to flight school. He had to go to AIT to get MOS qualified but once he was finished he went straight to Rucker. I can't remember the details on how he worked this out but I just wanted to say that it can be possible. Not through the same channels as Street to Seat like active guys get obviously but it worked for him.

Everyone seems to be dancing around your question. I haven't done a lot of research on this, but from what I see you are not guaranteed a flight slot when you enlist. If you failed to get the slot for whatever reason, you would still be tied to your commitment you made when you enlisted, whatever that ends up having you do.

It's not a simple thing to do, but it is "possible" to do it. I say that because most guardsmen will probably tell you the same thing, along the lines of needing to enlist and have an MOS then put a packet in. However, we have a guy in my unit who has infact enlisted and didn't do an AIT, was able to do WOCS and then flight school. Now, it was a long process, and he had a friend who was a retired Colonel helping him out and working with the Command Chief Warrant Officer in the state. He also did the State's WOCS program, which is a part time school that runs roughly 12-15 months long.

Point being, yes it is possible. The above advice has been good - start with a recruiter and have them investigate. Maybe they can even set up a little interview or tour of the local aviation unit you are interested in. Then you can meet some of the full timers there, tell them your story and background and see what happens and what they suggest.

- Jeremy

Learn from my misfortunes. It is 100% possible to fast track to Rucker. But as stated, getting MOSQ'd is your first stepping stone. Once that is completed, drop your packet and pray to god you get a board before you unit decides to bend you over and send you overseas instead.

This just happened to me....

I, a CFII with just under 1,000 hours, got the "WORD" from my State Aviation officer that once back from AIT he would send me off to flight school with out a doubt. No state will put it in writing, but based on my close ties with the people on the board I enlisted on their word. BIG MISTAKE.

3 weeks from graduating (at the top of my 15T class) that very SAAO retired and out the door goes my connection. I get a call from a company commander, who informs me that flight school will have to wait (my packet was done at this point, and was only waiting on his signature) because the unit is headed to Iraq in 2 months and they need me. So, here I am, 7 months later, siting in Iraq writing this. I have not flown but maybe 5 hours (at least it was in a LUH ie: EC145) in the last two years. I am however a crew chief and fly everyday, just in the back seat. Needless to say, I am frustrated and pissed the F off. But I guess thats what you get when you trust someone.

So, to answer your question, it is possible. Just make sure you are prepared to wait a couple years before going to flight school, especially in this economic lull that we are in. Many states are losing the funding for these things, and already have a backlog of WOC's in waiting. My state now has 8 ahead of me, and so they say maybe ill get there in another 2 years. FML. But, that is life, I signed the contract so I have to live with my choices....