Commuting Canyon Pilots

KyleA

Well as far as Papillon's planes: Scenic Airlines are technically a separate company owned by Monarch Enterprises (Papillon). Different certificate, different people that do the hiring. I wouldn't call it out of the question but I don't think doing time with the airline would get you in under 1000 hours unless you were only under by 4-5 hours and after training you'd over a grand.

At Maverick the planes are also run by separate management, not to mention they want 12-1300 hours helicopter time. Doubt it would work out very well there either.

Buuuuuuuuut there's always a chance I suppose.

It's 13000 total flight time and 900 helicopter. 12,100 fixed wing. I have no idea what the minimums are for these positions. Talking to friends in the EMS business, with my background, I still need 1,500 rotor time for them to hire me here locally. I'm looking for a whay to pick up the additional 600 hours of helicopter time.

Some of those canyon operators also use airplanes. Is it not possible with 13,000hrs to get on flying fixed then switch over to helicopters once you've been with the company for a while despite being under 1000hrs helicopter?

Or is it 1000hrs helicopter NO exceptions?

I wont look at anyone under 1000 hours. I will however, look at someone at 1001 hours. Funny how that works. A little sad too, logbook alone does not paint accurate pictures sometimes, in BOTH directions.

• Like 1

I wont look at anyone under 1000 hours. I will however, look at someone at 1001 hours. Funny how that works. A little sad too, logbook alone does not paint accurate pictures sometimes, in BOTH directions.

I don't understand what you mean by "funny how that works". You don't seem sure why you do this and even admit it doesn't always reflect a pilots skill level. Holding hard and fast to a 1000 seems rigid and not very pragmatic. I'm sure the OP will be a much different pilot in another 101 hours...

I'm still a few hundred hours from meeting this high standard number to which you hold your pilots! I wonder just how awesome life will be when I get to 1001 hours and my resume becomes visible to the turbine tour industry?

You're right, it is sad!

Edited by pilot#476398

I don't understand what you mean by "funny how that works". You don't seem sure why you do this and even admit it doesn't always reflect a pilots skill level. Holding hard and fast to a 1000 seems rigid and not very pragmatic. I'm sure the OP will be a much different pilot in another 101 hours...

I'd be willing to wager he knows exactly why he does it, and it's insurance/company policy. I think he WILL in fact be a much different pilot in 101 hours in that he will actually become hireable.

Eagle: It's 1000PIC

It's funny how those who complain about standards are usually the people who don't meet the standards. I think you'll be singing a different tune when you do.

Edited by Azhigher

It's funny how those who complain about standards are usually the people who don't meet the standards. I think you'll be singing a different tune when you do.

Well yeah! If we met the standards what would we have to complain about? How much we love our jobs? :lol:

I'd be willing to wager he knows exactly why he does it, and it's insurance/company policy. I think he WILL in fact be a much different pilot in 101 hours in that he will actually become hireable.

Eagle: It's 1000PIC

If he wants to answer, I'd like to hear it.

Edited by helonorth

Well yeah! If we met the standards what would we have to complain about? How much we love our jobs? :lol:

How you fly too much/too little. How it's too hot/too cold. How the hours are too long, the pay is too low, the machine is too old or doesn't have enough engines. That this or that is inop, that the weather isn't cooperating.

There's a whole laundry list. If something isn't at least a little wrong then obviously something is wrong...

• Like 1

How you fly too much/too little. How it's too hot/too cold. How the hours are too long, the pay is too low, the machine is too old or doesn't have enough engines. That this or that is inop, that the weather isn't cooperating.

There's a whole laundry list. If something isn't at least a little wrong then obviously something is wrong...

So you turbine jockies have the same complaints as us robbie rangers? Well it looks like you get to add one more,...the commute sucks!?

So you turbine jockies have the same complaints as us robbie rangers? Well it looks like you get to add one more,...the commute sucks!?

We do have the same complaints except the commute is part of it and doesn't suck. You wanna be a big bad "turbine jockey" then get use to a commute for awhile or forever depending on where you end up. I like the fact I get to fly all over in different terrain. And the commute is just part of it. I'm not saying I haven't had sucky commutes just try to enjoy it.

Yep, if a pilot's not wingeing, then there's truly something wrong!!

For those who've worked at Papillon SR, have you stuck around & progressed into utility within the company? Do they progress you after working a season or a full year? Do they keep many pilots on year round? Is there really a high rate of pilots moving on each season/year?

Yep, if a pilot's not wingeing, then there's truly something wrong!!

For those who've worked at Papillon SR, have you stuck around & progressed into utility within the company? Do they progress you after working a season or a full year? Do they keep many pilots on year round? Is there really a high rate of pilots moving on each season/year?

I didn't work there, but had friends that did. All of the utility pilots they have came from within. It all just depends on the year sometimes pilots are getting upgraded to 407 at the end of the first season and carded the next spring. Other times it takes a year or two. They usually don't lay too many pilots off if any, there's usually enough pilots that move on. Again just depends but most people don't stick around. If you show up, work your tail off, don't complain and have a good attitude you will get somewhere.

Another thing I forgot to add is if you have turbine time ( I think 250 +) they check you out in the 206 and Ec130 and there in the process of phasing out 407's. they have I think 2 brand new B3'e's. if you can get time in 206 and 130 it wouldn't be much of a transition into the 407 and B3e.... Something to think about