Starting my journey in 2 weeks!

Hey folks!

This will be my first post on VR, kind of a noob! :P

After months and months of research, a nice roller coaster ride of emotion and quite a few hurdles jumped over, I am now ready to begin my journey as a helicopter pilot!

I have decided to start with my PPL, with aspirations of going all the way...till I the FAA asks me to retire!

I have read many great things about Jerry Trimble Helicopters! I had initial plans of going to HAI in Oregon or MLH in Hawaii(But due to Wells Fargo and Sallie Mae WWF tag teaming me into the canvas, that will have to wait! :blink: )

While both schools are still on my list, JTH seems like a fantastic place to get started and who knows, I might do my entire training there!

I would love to speak with anyone currently at or formerly a student of JTH.

What was your experience? What are you up to now?(If you don't mind me asking)

Anyone know of their safety record?

How is their CFI staff?

Just looking for first hand experienced folks that have attended JTH!

Thank you for your time!

-AZ

Thank you!! B)

Congrats on your first post, and starting training. There is a lot you can do as a student before you step into the cockpit. Do some searching here, as I have mentioned the same 50 things 100's of times.

Also, watch your tail. AW 139's have a lil problem with them falling off all the time.

Congrats on your first post, and starting training. There is a lot you can do as a student before you step into the cockpit. Do some searching here, as I have mentioned the same 50 things 100's of times.

Also, watch your tail. AW 139's have a lil problem with them falling off all the time.

Thanks Goldy!

I have spent nearly 20 hours straight on VR reading as much as I can! The wealth of knowledge on this website is amazing! I really appreciate how helpful the community is!

hmm.. well then how about an AB139? B)

Thanks again!

Good luck with all your ventures!

You won't find more aviation experience in a learning environment than with Jerry. One of my favorite people in the world, I've learned SO much from him and I've not spent even 1 minute IN a helicopter with him :D He was an A&P with Frank way back when the R22 was getting certified, he started Hillsboro Helicopters then sold it to the current owner who expanded it to what it is (or isn't, depending on your point of view) today, and he's been all around this industry his entire life. Be an impeccable listener and a dedicated student and you will get more for your money than you ever thought possible. We'll be stopping by MMV in late July to see them, maybe we'll see you there :)

Welcome and good luck!

HG03 (emily)

PM if you like, I can go on forever :P

• Like 1

I finished my PPL at Jerry Trimble earlier this year. If I had to do it again, I'd go back without a moment's hesitation. I like the people there, I like the place, I like the rates. And I'd echo Emily's comments about Jerry: there's a phenomenal amount to be learned just by hanging around in the hangar.

To answer your questions directly:

What was your experience?

Great - see above

What are you up to now?

Sailing around Greece (it's all aerodynamics, you know)

Anyone know of their safety record?

No idea of their record, but they're pretty safety-first. I'm sure they'll tell you if you ask.

How is their CFI staff?

Excellent.

Drop me a PM if you'd like to know more.

--Dave

• Like 1

What are you up to now?

Sailing around Greece (it's all aerodynamics, you know)

--Dave

Now that just makes me jealous....

• Like 1

I am really excited, and I believe JTH will be an amazing experience and a great place to start my journey! Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and experience!!

Much appreciated!

-------Sailing around greece? AWESOME! B) ---------

:D

Flying with Jerry is pretty cool. Its nice to fly with someone who has a butt-load of experience and a head full of knowledge!

:rolleyes:

A word of advice though, if you fly the yellow HP, wear a golf glove on your left hand. The throttle grip is pretty worn down (after all it is an HP) and can get a bit slippery when trying to hold in the over-travel spring.

:ph34r:

You may as well check out the Spruce Goose while you're there as well.

:)

Flying with Jerry is pretty cool. Its nice to fly with someone who has a butt-load of experience and a head full of knowledge!

:rolleyes:

A word of advice though, if you fly the yellow HP, wear a golf glove on your left hand. The throttle grip is pretty worn down (after all it is an HP) and can get a bit slippery when trying to hold in the over-travel spring.

:ph34r:

You may as well check out the Spruce Goose while you're there as well.

I was planning on getting gloves anyway! I ride street bikes, and I really like the extra layer of grip and safety between me and the controls! Why golf gloves though? Just curious as I have seen all sorts of different kinds of gloves =)

And yes! I will definitely be going to check out Spruce Goose!

...Why golf gloves though?

They're nice and thin, so you can get that extra grip without getting too hot and sweaty inside. I suppose a baseball glove would work as well.

I just flew with a CFI who went all out; flight suit, helmet, and nomex gloves,...an interesting sight in an R22.

I just flew with a CFI who went all out; flight suit, helmet, and nomex gloves,...an interesting sight in an R22.

:D That's awesome! How on earth does he fit in an R22 with a big ol' helmet on?

Have you ever tried the nomex gloves? Wondering how they feel.

:D That's awesome! How on earth does he fit in an R22 with a big ol' helmet on?

Have you ever tried the nomex gloves? Wondering how they feel.

He was a short dude, so vertically there didn't seem to be a problem. Lateraly, however, did not look very comfortable (probably a little better if he'd taken his door off?). One thing is for sure, if we'd rolled over, it had better have been to his side, otherwise my head would have been crushed! :o :D

Never tried Nomex gloves (they look like they'd be pretty hot?). I wore isotoners one very cold night, but didn't like them (too thick!).

He was a short dude, so vertically there didn't seem to be a problem. Lateraly, however, did not look very comfortable (probably a little better if he'd taken his door off?). One thing is for sure, if we'd rolled over, it had better have been to his side, otherwise my head would have been crushed! :o :D

Never tried Nomex gloves (they look like they'd be pretty hot?). I wore isotoners one very cold night, but didn't like them (too thick!).

Oh man, you should have worn a helmet too then! :lol: :blink:

Yea Nomex does seem to be rather hot. Guess I won't know till I try some on.

Hey, if Dan Marino approves them...then Isotoners are LEGIT! lol

Nomex gloves are nice. They're not too hot, and I wear them in certain R-22's just because they vibrate so darn much. They're also great for cold weather flying (well, 20's and 30's... cold for Texas) as they keep you warm but you can still manipulate all the switches and whatnot and jiggle stuff on preflight.

Nomex gloves are nice. They're not too hot, and I wear them in certain R-22's just because they vibrate so darn much. They're also great for cold weather flying (well, 20's and 30's... cold for Texas) as they keep you warm but you can still manipulate all the switches and whatnot and jiggle stuff on preflight.

Awesome, thank you for the first hand info!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone's,

I've just come back from my journey to visit few school here in Oregon.

I've check Hillsboro, Precision and JTH,...

I did a demo flight on each school.

I would say that JTH is a really nice school, CFI are very careful and they enjoy their job!

I've got a lot of fun during the demo, thanks to Jerry and Isaac.

The spruce goose is a must, the museum is awesome!

Cheers,

Renaud