Guest Maximinious

I thought I was leaving myself out there a little bit with your pilot flying into the ground. I just kinda don't like those hypothetical stories.

Hypothetical or not, stories are “coat hooks” for the memory and considered as a good method to convey a message. Consequently, I can’t stand “what if’s”, yet managed to slide one in. That would be hypocrisy at it’s best.. I'll give myself a red "-" as a self sacrifice..

• Like 1

Hey you guys lets be nice. It's OK to have different opinions, no need to rip each other apart. I enjoy reading everyone's outlook on this issue, but this forum isn't going to change the world unless we stay positive in my opinion!

I've noticed my perspective has changed. As a low timer this would've seemed like an opportunity.

No one has brought up the issue of supervision and mentoring. I would assume Old City Helicopters has been doing this for a long time and would closely supervise the low timer. I understand even the 2000 hour "entry level" tour jobs have very strict guidelines and you land and take off from the same pad, no off airports, weather minimums, etc...

In Canada I started commercial flying at 160 hours but it was with very direct supervision. I was not allowed to do a flight without the verbal OK from the Chief Pilot or Base Manager. There was a high degree of mentorship to get low timers going, and your attitude and work ethic working on the ground determined who got the flying work. I was lucky and pay was a lot better than the OP but sounds to me like it's a similar model.

How is flying tours pad to pad any more difficult than flight instructing? Flight instructing has a large percentage of the helicopter incidents and accidents. Perhaps we should limit flight instructing to high timers too.

In my opinion most 200 hour pilots can fly the helicopter, but the decision making to fly safely and get the job done takes longer to develop. That's where supervision and mentoring comes in. Everyone has to start somehow and no two pilots have done it exactly the same.

Yes the pay sucks for the posted job, but so does not getting going in the business after spending a small fortune.

• Like 3

Here's another story: company hires 200 hour pilot to fly tours. Pilot gets a 1000 hours and goes and gets a real job. And another story: 2500 hour pilot flies a perfectly good helicopter into the side of the Grand Canyon killing all on board. Your point?

I realize accidents occur at all hour levels but are you trying to say that experience doesn't make any difference? A good pilot has learned everything he needs to know about flying safely by 200 hours?

So tours at 200 should be SAFER!

/sarcasm

Heh yep! All these safety threads seem somewhat fruitless. To say some category of operation is unsafe, is very subjective and without context.

I have seen very few actual studies about aviation safety.

For example practicing autos, worth the risk? I've heard opinions in both directions, but no direct non-anecdotal evidence either way.

• 4 months later...