Heli-Success - how to prepare?

I decided I'm going to Heli-Success this year based on Dennis' advice in the "CFI's looking for work" thread in the school forum. I am "pre-everything" (not even a discovery flight yet) but think this would be a great way to get exposure to all the different facets of the industry as I wait for the last few things to line up before I start training.

I'm curious though, whether the seminars are going to be way over my head. I expect they will, but I'd like to minimize that so I can take as much away as possible. Can anyone make any recommendations on reading material that might help with some of the fundamentals so I at least have a little bit of a clue during the various sessions? I appreciate any suggestions you might have, especially if you've attended this event before. Thanks in advance!

Regardless of where you are in your training, it sounds like Heli-Success would be well worth your while. I actually have not attended this before, but will try and make it this year. It seems to me the biggest advantage of going to this is for the networking. You can meet a number of very experienced pilots who are looking to try and help new students. This would be the perfect time to try to get answers to some questions you might have as a new student trying to get into the industry. Also, the helicopter business is pretty small so it can't hurt to introduce yourself to as many different people as you can. You never know when you might run into an individual you have already met at one of these networking events, at some point in the future. By the way Dennis is a real stand up guy, I met him once and he really understands the right way to go about flight training.

As far as what you can study before you start flying, there are probably similar posts on here already if you dig around enough. My recommendation would be to get the FAA's Rotorcraft Flying Handbook (RFH) for understanding the basic controls and aerodynamics of helicopter flight. W.J. Wagtendonk's Principles of Helicopter Flight is perhaps my favorite book and basically expands on a lot of the stuff found in the RFH. A copy of the Federal Aviation Regulations / Aeronautical Information Manual (FAR/AIM) is also good to have and become familiar with it. It contains the pertinent sections of Title 14 of the US Code of Federal Regulations (CFR's) relating to Aeronautics and Space. Most FAR/AIM's have a page at the front that break down which specific regulations you should know for the private pilot level. Finally, to prepare for ground school you could pick up one of the big Jeppesen or ASA books for private pilot. Those books touch on everything you will need to know for the ground course (weather, airspace, navigation, etc.) Oh ya, if you know which helicopter you will be doing your training in then you could pick up a copy of the Pilots Operating Handbook (POH) for that aircraft. The POH contains important information specifically for that aircraft like how it should be operated, how the systems work, what its limitations are, and what action to take in case of an emergency. I realize a lot of that might be intimidating, or might not make a lot of sense without an instructor explaining it to you, but just becoming familiar with the publications would be helpful as you will need to know much of it later on anyways. Don't forget the WikiRFM website as well as information found here on verticalreference.

• Like 2

I'm going and I'm not even looking for a job! Fact is, it sounds like a great get together, and not everyone can make HeliExpo each year.

Basically, I will be there for the beer, and the friends that help me drink it.

• Like 2

HoverMatt:

Come on out. As others have said, it will not be "over your head" as networking can never start too soon.

Additionally, like mentioned, you will have the opportunity to talk to and listen about many types of flying jobs to help you better select a place to learn, type of helicopter to learn in and expectations of each job.

I'll be speaking again, as Lyn has asked me to return to offer my experiences. I really enjoy the interaction with young & older minds in the helicopter & aviation world.

Goldy, make sure you say hi, I'll probably be helping with registration too.

Good information, good activities and great people.

Dean

I have been to all of the Heli-Success events so far, and my advice to you is GO! I really cant say enough about the event. The opportunity to get direct advice from hiring authorities and industry icons is golden. The event is great even for someone who is contemplating a career in helicopters. Nothing will be over your head. In fact, you will come away more motivated than ever and armed with the right tools to go out and execute your plan. Hope to see you there!

• Like 1

Hovermatt,

I am in the same boat as you, except I have 2 discovery flights, WooHoo a whopping 1 hr for the log book. I went ahead and purchased my Private pilot "starter kit" (flight bag, POH, RFH, FAR/AIM ect..) Due to job constraints/funding, I have not yet started training either. I am saving my pennies to try to get to Heli Success this year. I figured it couldn't hurt and if nothing else I would be able to meet some VR folks and help Goldy drink some beer. Hope to see you there.

To All,

Last year at the end of my FAASTeam ADM presentation the day prior to Heli-Success, I had a Bonus slide. The bonus was some thought about what to get out of Seminars, Expos and Conferences.

The Bonus was using the three "I"s, Information, Inspiration & Interaction.

I suggested making a "Get" & "Give" list the day/night before or anytime prior.

On the Get list: place what you expect to get from attending and follow up with the items listed.

On the Give list: think about what you bring as an individual or prospective employee/pilot/student to employers or peers.

I furnished Lyn with some feedback comments from pilots that attended last year for use as he deems fit. They are all employed at this time.

Heli-Success will mean more to up and coming pilots than HAI's Heli Expo.

Make your lists and go!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Mike

• Like 1

Goldy,

Are you going to the FAASTeam Seminar? I of course will be there.

Mike, check you're email. Sent from jdhelicopterpilot@yahoo.com.

JD- Which seminar? I get to a bunch of them....

Hovermatt,

I am in the same boat as you, except I have 2 discovery flights, WooHoo a whopping 1 hr for the log book. I went ahead and purchased my Private pilot "starter kit" (flight bag, POH, RFH, FAR/AIM ect..) Due to job constraints/funding, I have not yet started training either. I am saving my pennies to try to get to Heli Success this year. I figured it couldn't hurt and if nothing else I would be able to meet some VR folks and help Goldy drink some beer. Hope to see you there.

I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure we all had our first logbook hour at some point. Start hitting the books and on line FAA exams...they cost nothing. You buy the first round.

• Like 1

Goldy, I am talking about the FAASTeam seminar connected with HeliSuccess. The Safety Seminar is on Sat. the 5th from 1500-1800 followed by a social hour. You've got to go! I did one last year as well.

JD

I'm going and I'm not even looking for a job! Fact is, it sounds like a great get together, and not everyone can make HeliExpo each year.

Basically, I will be there for the beer, and the friends that help me drink it.

Is Heli Success on the "We love locals" train, or do I need to start saving beer cans?

Sorry but the HeliSuccess I think is the same price no matter local or not. I will say though that the FAASTeam Safety Seminar on Sat is FREE!

I'm curious though, whether the seminars are going to be way over my head. I expect they will, but I'd like to minimize that so I can take as much away as possible.

HoverMatt,

Heli-Success is the one event you want to attend... Make sure you don't miss JD's excellent FASSTeam Safety Seminar, which is filled with a wealth of information for both beginning and veteran pilots...

I'll also be jumping off the Stratosphere one evening this year, so if anyone else is interested jumping, just let me know... It's about 886' straight down...

Thanks everyone! I purchased most of the books recommended. I'm definitely attending the seminar, and really looking forward to it. It will be cool to meet some of the folks that post here!

Not so sure about jumping off the Stratosphere though... I did that tower ride at the top once and that was good enough for me. ;)

Slightly off topic, but I was flying from UMC Hospital to KLAS a while back and saw someone "jump" of the Stratosphere. At the time I didn't know about the new "ride" or bungee jumping off the tower. I thought I saw someone commit suicide until I saw on Yahoo news about the new ride.

Anyway, Matt, glad you'll be there. When I started out there were no events like this. You are lucky to be able to have these events now to go to.

Ok, now that I have been talked into it, what should I wear? I read that it is suggested that you wear a dress shirt and slacks, then add a jacket when talking to employers. Is this the dress code that most attendees follow? I know you would want to make a good impression however, the closest thing I have to this is my service dress uniform (blues).

I know, probably sounds like a stupid question, just asking before I go spend a bunch more $ I don't have just to show up over dressed. I figured/hoped it was more of a Polo/khaki type deal (which I do have).

Ok, now that I have been talked into it, what should I wear? I read that it is suggested that you wear a dress shirt and slacks, then add a jacket when talking to employers. Is this the dress code that most attendees follow? I know you would want to make a good impression however, the closest thing I have to this is my service dress uniform (blues).

I know, probably sounds like a stupid question, just asking before I go spend a bunch more $ I don't have just to show up over dressed. I figured/hoped it was more of a Polo/khaki type deal (which I do have).

When I attended, at least 99% of the people there were dressed in a suit and tie (the other 1% just left out the jacket).

Afterwards I thought, "Maybe I should have come dressed in shorts, a t-shirt, and flip-flops?,...sure its not "business attire", but at least I would have gotten noticed."?

:D

• Like 1

Thanks butters, not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but at least I know now that my expense is double. :(

Every man should have at least one suit, but if you can't afford one right now, I would think your military dress uniform would be just as good. You can always PM Lyn and see what he thinks (I think he runs the thing)?

:)

• Like 1

Gary, if nothing else start hitting the local Goodwill. The ones around me have some fairly nice suits every once in a while.

Gary, if nothing else start hitting the local Goodwill. The ones around me have some fairly nice suits every once in a while.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking about doing. I'm a working man so chances are It won't get worn a whole lot anyways. Guess eventually I'm going to need a suit anyways might as well do it now.

Thanks not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but at least I know now that my expense is double. :(

If you don't want to purchase a suit, check with your local formal wear shop, most of them also rent suits...

Hope this help...