Army Military Helmet Restoration

Hello, new to the forum. My father was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. He first went over as a crew chief in 64-64, then back as a pilot 67-68. I am trying to repair his helmet fairly quick. He had a liver transplant in 04 (due to AO), and we just found out Monday that he know has Lung CA (squamous cell carcinoma); stage IV. I tried (not as hard as I should have) to get it repaired while I was still in. I was not a pilot, I was @ Campbell in 5th Group as a SF Medic (ODA 524). Any help, suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Keith Windham

Helicopter Helmets should be able to fix it up for you, but if it's an older APH5, getting parts might be difficult. They can te4ll you if it can be fixed, and they advertise a 14 day turnaround.

A quick Google search shows that APH5 parts are available at http://flighthelmet.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

Edited by Gomer Pylot

Why do you want to "restore" his helmet? The beat up and worn helmet is what came home with him. Many of these were marked if not painted, an expression of individuality as the owner wished- like the grunt helmet covers you see with mottoes, peace signs and "FTA" on'em.

Even if it's unadorned, owning it "as is" is a connection from here and now in "The World" to the "then" and "there" of being "in-country", and most importantly- HIM. I might clean up that irreplaceable bit of history... but maybe I wouldn't do that, either.

A quick glance at a couple sites showed variation with my memory. The helmets issued when I got there in '69 had earphone cups on spring stalks that one pulled against the shell with external cord loops to jam the shell onto head- APH4 (regular) or APH5 ("ballistic"). Entirely different helmets than the later SPH4, which I started to see in late '69 or '70. Those had a cloth helmet-like suspension, and the earphone cups were on that internal fabric helmet.

Edited by Wally

Helicopter Helmets should be able to fix it up for you, but if it's an older APH5, getting parts might be difficult. They can te4ll you if it can be fixed, and they advertise a 14 day turnaround.

A quick Google search shows that APH5 parts are available at http://flighthelmet.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

Thank you I will check them out. I am going to see which helmet it is. I do not know which model it it. I will post pictures as well. Thank you.

Why do you want to "restore" his helmet? The beat up and worn helmet is what came home with him. Many of these were marked if not painted, an expression of individuality as the owner wished- like the grunt helmet covers you see with mottoes, peace signs and "FTA" on'em.

Even if it's unadorned, owning it "as is" is a connection from here and now in "The World" to the "then" and "there" of being "in-country", and most importantly- HIM. I might clean up that irreplaceable bit of history... but maybe I wouldn't do that, either.

A quick glance at a couple sites showed variation with my memory. The helmets issued when I got there in '69 had earphone cups on spring stalks that one pulled against the shell with external cord loops to jam the shell onto head- APH4 (regular) or APH5 ("ballistic"). Entirely different helmets than the later SPH4, which I started to see in late '69 or '70. Those had a cloth helmet-like suspension, and the earphone cups were on that internal fabric helmet.

Thank you for your reply. I am restoring the functionality. I believe the comms are out on one side and one of the tinted visors is broken. I am not refinishing it.

I do understand the 'value' of such items 'as is'. My Halo Gentex has a couple of small symbols and drawings. My ruck, lbe, vest, aid-bag; all specially modified and marked. I have a couple of undershirts that I ALWAYS wore on certain missions. I have a pair of 1st generation Oakleys which are scratched and I still have them (they have been with me EVERYWHERE). As a civilian, I still carry my team coin (just in case I come across another current or former operator) lest I be the one buying drinks at the bar. :-)

As I mentioned in the my reply to the person above. I will go down and verify which helmet he has. He has it stored in another storage building here on the property. I will see if I can get the proper nomenclature. If not I will post pictures.

I greatly appreciate the help and advice.

KW