Logan

I am an American citizen currently employed as a flight instructor at a helicopter school in the United States. I earned all of my ratings/certificates at the same school I teach at (COM, IFR, CFI, CFII). I really enjoy teaching and would like to continue to do so, but I am getting tired of the same flying environment and seek a change.

Any ideas on how I would go about getting a job as a CFI at another school would be greatly appreciated. I have 725 PIC hours in R22's and around 75 PIC hours in R44's. I have also taken the Robinson safety course and have a flawless safety record. Any ideas on how I can market myself to score a job at another flight school? Thanks.

Um yeah- Show up in Vegas in a couple months would be my first comment.

• Like 2

I am a little confused why specifically you would want to go somewhere else. Some of us would give major organs for a flight instructor job. Giving up yours for a "change of environment" seems strange.

I'm not trying to judge or anything, just curious and suggestive that you hold on to what you have with both hands and never let go.

• Like 1

Um yeah- Show up in Vegas in a couple months would be my first comment.

And obviously bring some copies of your resume.

I will see you there, going to pick up my new suit tomorrow.

Unfortunately I don’t have the funds to travel to Vegas. I don’t have that many hours, but with around 800 PIC I was hoping another school might show interest in an experienced instructor. There are other reasons that I would like to move other than the environmental change, but that is one of the major reasons. I know I am fortunate to have a job in this market and I don't mean to offend anyone that doesn't have a job. I am open to suggestions that don't entail travel.

Unfortunately I don’t have the funds to travel to Vegas. I don’t have that many hours, but with around 800 PIC I was hoping another school might show interest in an experienced instructor. There are other reasons that I would like to move other than the environmental change, but that is one of the major reasons. I know I am fortunate to have a job in this market and I don't mean to offend anyone that doesn't have a job. I am open to suggestions that don't entail travel.

I understand being broke however, I don't understand how you expect to change your environment if you never travel outside of your current one. :huh:

I think the issue you will run into is that most schools will receive your application and immediately write you off because you have too many hours. The reason is that you will be looking for a job after only 200 hours of instructing at their school. I understand that most places aren't hiring at 1000 hours, but you, like every other instructor out there, will be applying when you hit that magic mark.

Even if you leave at 1500 hours, the cost and trouble of bringing you into a new school will probably not be worth it for them. Not to mention the fact that flight schools would always rather hire from their own graduates to increase their appeal to potential students.

The only way I could see you circumventing this is to market yourself to a school as someone who wants to stay for a set period of time. Maybe they have a need for a Chief Instructor or someone to set up a 141 training syllabus.

Whatever their needs, unless you want to make instructing a career, you should probably just stay at your current job, because it is the only (semi)-guarantee you have when it comes to flight hours.

I think the issue you will run into is that most schools will receive your application and immediately write you off because you have too many hours. The reason is that you will be looking for a job after only 200 hours of instructing at their school. I understand that most places aren't hiring at 1000 hours...

I have 650hrs, so if you're correct, if I finally get my CFI, I'll have too many hours for a teaching job, and not enough for anything else! I guess its back to Truck Driving School! :lol: :lol: :lol: :(

Well Logan, your best bet might be to find another CFI like yourself, and do a "job swap"?

Edited by r22butters
  • Like 1