Is this physicaly possible?

bwatkins51

Unrelated topic but, i bought this new snowboarding movie that just came out called "the Art of Flight" and a few shots in the film showed the heli taking off(descending)multiple times down the slope literally pitched straight down....now im not a pilot but id figure id ask the experts. Is that possible and what's the level of difficulty in performing such maneuvers as these?

Pic attached:

A couple clips of these scenes in the trailer as well

Also youtube trailer

post-24901-0-78292800-1315802761_thumb.jpg

I reckon the nose is as far over as it looks in the picture. It is certainly pointing straight down. Not that hard to do if you have plenty of space underneath you (like a whole valley)!!

Edited by Trans Lift

Unrelated topic but, i bought this new snowboarding movie that just came out called "the Art of Flight" and a few shots in the film showed the heli taking off(descending)multiple times down the slope literally pitched straight down....now im not a pilot but id figure id ask the experts. Is that possible and what's the level of difficulty in performing such maneuvers as these?

Pic attached:

A couple clips of these scenes in the trailer as well

Also youtube trailer

The AStar flies a lot better than I want to fly it, because of control authority issues. The cyclic might just stop moving in the direction I want it to go. The chance of servo-transparency/jack stall happening increases with aggressive maneuvering.

Right,

Everyone above is correct, It may not be as far over as it looks, but a straight nose down angle is certainly possible.

Does it take skill, not so much, just push all the way forward. :D With any non- semi rigid rotor system I believe the machine would be capable.

Does it take balls, and perhaps a bit of stupidity, yep.

Like trans lift says, you are going to loose a LOT of altitude, not so bad if you have a whole valley benieth you.

But also like Wally says, servo transparancy in the a-stars is an issue to consider. that would not be a good time lose cyclic control.

Ive been watching that video non-stop for weeks for two reasons: Im an avid snowboader and 2: I think it would be a dream come true to fly film production for Red Bull. What Chuck Aaron does is amazing, I have no interest in trying to replicate what he does. But I think flying for Red Bull, shooting all of their films would be amazing. The travel, the people, the Red Bull experience. Yes please.

Stoked for the full length Art of Flight to come out!