Which of these Schools Should I Attend?

Despam

I hate to use an American euphemism here, but Bristow's bread and butter IS visa students. It's what they specialize in, and they do it very well. You would be doing yourself a disservice by not talking with them. They operate on six continents, I believe. Maybe only five.

I can only somewhat agree with you on this one, ADRidge. You're dead on about how they specialize in visa students. They also typically have deadlines with the visa students, which means if you're not a visa student, they sometimes have the tendency to put you on the bottom of their priority list for a while. This was just my experience with them though. I did however get through and pass without failing any test, written or practical, so I can't complain too much. The knowledge and level of instruction was very satisfactory. This was Bristow in New Iberia.

I can't comment on any other school except Quantum. I went there for about a year for CFI training. I didn't finish it there (I ran out of money, happens to the best of us), but their level of instruction and expectations of a student is phenomenal. I finished my CFI at bristow and felt highly over prepared for the checkride thanks to Quantum. However, don't expect to go there and not work. I think I remade my CFI book 3 or 4 times and memorized countless acronyms and definitions (they were big on exact wording). To this day I have never worked as a cfi (I luckily got a job right out of school doing pipeline). However, I can still talk you through a maneuver using the exact wording as I did when flying at quantum. Also, they have a pretty awesome playground for practicing maneuvers. Mountains all around the city ( to a flat lander like me, it was pretty amazing).

And now for the bad of Quantum. It didn't feel like a very friendly environment. It actually felt very hostile. The chief pilot didn't seem to like, well, anyone. During a stage check she actually made fun of my accent and asked me to get rid of it (I'm a southern boy)... And everyone, even the instructors I had seemed to be somewhat scared of her. I felt as if I was walking on eggshells all day every day. I also was never really reassured of my progress or made to feel like I was actually getting somewhere. I felt very alone and stuck while there. It was very counter productive from my point of view. This was the good thing about Bristow(New Iberia). People were more friendly, and I actually became good friends with almost everyone I encountered there. I still talk to alot of them, even the ones I met close to 3-4 years ago when it was Vortex.

They both had their advantages for me. I went to Bristow in New Iberia(vortex in the beginning) Because it was close to home. However, I really enjoyed moving to Phoenix and getting to see another part of the country. This was a little while ago though, so things may have changed. If I could go back in time though, I would probably have entertained the idea of Mauna Loa a little more...

• Like 1

THE HELICOPTER ACADEMY HAS TRAINED STUDENTS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD, I HAVE MEET CFI'S FROM HUNGARY, GERMANY, EUROPE AND MANY OTHER COUNTRY'S...THEY ALL SEEM TO BE HAPPY WITH THE TRAINING AND LOVE IT...I'M FROM FLORIDA AND LOVE IT AS WELL, DO SOME RESEARCH BUT PERSONALLY I'D WOULD GO WITH THE HELICOPTER ACADEMY, AS STATED EARLIER THEY HAVE FREE HOUSING AND I ACTUALLY MOVED IN THERE A FEW MONTHS BACK FROM JACKSONVILLE BEACH FLORIDA AND ALL THE STUDENTS AND CFI'S ARE THERE TO HELP AND ALL WE DO IS EAT, DRINK, STUDY HELICOPTERS...

BEST WISHES,

DUSTIN_904 554 2727

Hello everyone, I am new here. My name is Essien. I want to get trained early next year - around March 2012 to be precise.I wanted to go through the FW route but discovered I will still end up paying the same amount as going for RW from start. So been researching FW schools all this while. I am an international student so I can't visit any school.

I have researched RW schools as well. I have a shortlist of 4. Which of these schools will you recommend I attend and why? In order of preference:

1. Civic Helicopters

2. Quantum Helicopters

3. Palm Beach Helicopters

4. Group 3 Aviation

Please if there is any other good school you feel I should look at, let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Back to the O.P.

I know a few things....but not much, about #1&4. I could also recommend one other that can support a visa. I try hard not to be a commercial for anyone, so feel free to PM me.

Goldy

I can only somewhat agree with you on this one, ADRidge. You're dead on about how they specialize in visa students. They also typically have deadlines with the visa students, which means if you're not a visa student, they sometimes have the tendency to put you on the bottom of their priority list for a while. This was just my experience with them though. I did however get through and pass without failing any test, written or practical, so I can't complain too much. The knowledge and level of instruction was very satisfactory. This was Bristow in New Iberia.

No you're right. For everyone else's benefit I'll just go ahead and say that we went to Bristow/Vortex at the same time. I just figured if this guy is a visa student, a place that specialized in visa guys/gals would probably be to his benefit.

• Like 1

http://heli.com/

The website will explain why.

Thank you. Bristow Academy was actually the first helicopter I wanted to attend. Till date, I still have their price schedule on my board but 2 Pilot mentors advised me not to go there that the school concentrate more on students from Corporate organizations. One of them actually work for Bristow Group. Personally, I like the school but decided to listen to my mentors. One of them has 22 years flying experience.

Back to the O.P.

I know a few things....but not much, about #1&4. I could also recommend one other that can support a visa. I try hard not to be a commercial for anyone, so feel free to PM me.

Goldy

Thanks. I have sent you a message.

No you're right. For everyone else's benefit I'll just go ahead and say that we went to Bristow/Vortex at the same time. I just figured if this guy is a visa student, a place that specialized in visa guys/gals would probably be to his benefit.

I am a visa student. I really considered Bristow before but my mentors said I should look for another school. That Bristow wont have my time.

Look into Leading Edge Aviation, you won't be disappointed. We are a Part 61/141 school here. LEA employs roughly 15 instructors (most of which are full time instructors), and close to 100 students (most of whom are full time and military Veterans). Each instructor (except for the newly hired ones) have on average 6 students per.

PVT, Inst, Comm, CFI, CFII, 206 Turbine LongLine / Mountain / NVG courses are available (though they don't have an NVG ship yet, they are in the process of that). I myself just finished NVG ground training conducted by Night Flight Concepts, as part of our Advanced Helicopter course program for Turbine Aircraft.

The flying weather out here in Central Oregon is amazing; You get a taste of everything (minus the hurricanes and ice storms.) You will experience High Density Altitude during the summer (5,000+ on many days due to the temperatures and our elevation of 3460msl), rain, snow, and low cloud ceilings all through the winter (makes for great instrument training). You will usually be flying in Class G, E, and D airspace. Occasionally you may work your way up to Portland Class C a couple hours away. We are pretty free to roam the area, which makes for plenty of training options and opportunities.

Leading Edge does run a small Part 133/135 side operation with two B206 Long Rangers.

LEA has recently been certified as an M1 Visa program (their first foreign student will be here in January from Columbia.)

Of the last 6 instructors that left due to being hired by commercial operators, 4 have went to ERA (1 to Alaska ERA, and 3 to the Gulf ERA) and 2 went down to the Grand Canyon flying tours. One of those from the Grand Canyon recently got hired on with Evergreen Aviation.

Being a Robinson overhaul facility, the mechanics here keep a pretty tight noose on the overall mechanical conditions of the helicopters.

LEA operates 2 B206 JetRangers, 2 B206 LongRangers, 2 R44s (our third one is over with Garmin getting a G500 flight tested for our training use, which we should get back here in a month or so) and usually 4 R22 Beta II's. As aircraft get overhauled, those numbers may vary as they get sent out and others come in. The Long Rangers aren't for training use, but the Jet Rangers are. As far as the schedule goes, it's typically pretty packed, but one can always find a block to fly in. Flying is conducted anytime from 7am to 11pm at night (depending on the nature of the training).

The entire staff is extremely friendly. LEA does run an associated program with Central Oregon Community College for those who are looking for a 2-year college degree in Aviation Science, or even financial aid to help pay for flight training. The college program is Post 9/11 G.I. Bill applicable to military Veterans.

Instructors are typically hired from the student pool (rather those who complete the majority of their training with LEA). Upon being hired as an instructor, they spend about 2 years building hours before they have enough flight time to move onto the commercial side of the industry.

Good luck in finding a school that fits your needs. Definitely do your research and don't fall for any school that "promises" you a job, flight time, etc.

Edited by RagMan

Boatpixs' Insurance

It's not boatpix's insurance. Its called Pathfinder which is essentially Robinson's own insurance. Yes, you need 300 hours to fly on it but the 100 hours to learn to fly the contract is a money racket by Tom.

Dustin when you get some experience in this industry, you will look back at these posts and realise that you really don't have a clue what you are talking about. Hopefully anyway!!

Spike, I look forward to watching the sparring match......;)

P.S. Spike's advice on Bristow Academy is worth looking at.

Edited by Trans Lift

Check out this link Leading Edge I have heard good things about this school, but I have never visited them.

Hmm, I have had issues like that with Cloud9 as well. With both people from the main campus, and the local one here in Utah. Seems really wierd to me, but hey it's not my business and there are plenty other options out there.

I have checked the link. The school look OK. Am considering them also.

• Like 1

Look into Leading Edge Aviation, you won't be disappointed. We are a Part 61/141 school here. LEA employs roughly 15 instructors (most of which are full time instructors), and close to 100 students (most of whom are full time and military Veterans). Each instructor (except for the newly hired ones) have on average 6 students per.

PVT, Inst, Comm, CFI, CFII, 206 Turbine LongLine / Mountain / NVG courses are available (though they don't have an NVG ship yet, they are in the process of that). I myself just finished NVG ground training conducted by Night Flight Concepts, as part of our Advanced Helicopter course program for Turbine Aircraft.

The flying weather out here in Central Oregon is amazing; You get a taste of everything (minus the hurricanes and ice storms.) You will experience High Density Altitude during the summer (5,000+ on many days due to the temperatures and our elevation of 3460msl), rain, snow, and low cloud ceilings all through the winter (makes for great instrument training). You will usually be flying in Class G, E, and D airspace. Occasionally you may work your way up to Portland Class C a couple hours away. We are pretty free to roam the area, which makes for plenty of training options and opportunities.

Leading Edge does run a small Part 133/135 side operation with two B206 Long Rangers.

LEA has recently been certified as an M1 Visa program (their first foreign student will be here in January from Columbia.)

Of the last 6 instructors that left due to being hired by commercial operators, 4 have went to ERA (1 to Alaska ERA, and 3 to the Gulf ERA) and 2 went down to the Grand Canyon flying tours. One of those from the Grand Canyon recently got hired on with Evergreen Aviation.

Being a Robinson overhaul facility, the mechanics here keep a pretty tight noose on the overall mechanical conditions of the helicopters.

LEA operates 2 B206 JetRangers, 2 B206 LongRangers, 2 R44s (our third one is over with Garmin getting a G500 flight tested for our training use, which we should get back here in a month or so) and usually 4 R22 Beta II's. As aircraft get overhauled, those numbers may vary as they get sent out and others come in. The Long Rangers aren't for training use, but the Jet Rangers are. As far as the schedule goes, it's typically pretty packed, but one can always find a block to fly in. Flying is conducted anytime from 7am to 11pm at night (depending on the nature of the training).

The entire staff is extremely friendly. LEA does run an associated program with Central Oregon Community College for those who are looking for a 2-year college degree in Aviation Science, or even financial aid to help pay for flight training. The college program is Post 9/11 G.I. Bill applicable to military Veterans.

Instructors are typically hired from the student pool (rather those who complete the majority of their training with LEA). Upon being hired as an instructor, they spend about 2 years building hours before they have enough flight time to move onto the commercial side of the industry.

Good luck in finding a school that fits your needs. Definitely do your research and don't fall for any school that "promises" you a job, flight time, etc.

Does the school accept pay as you go? What about accommodation? Thanks.

I am brand new here and also planning on starting my pilots training in the next coming month or so.. I noticed at least 2 of your choices are in the LA area if Im not mistaken. This is where I will be training once I move from Las Vegas. I came by "Star-Helicopters" seems like a good group of people (Lady talked to me for 30mins in regards to all my newbie questions like "can i land on buildings?!" .. ok i didn't ask that but you get my point. I don't know if they provide what you are looking for in regards to international students but if you did any research or if anyone has any information about this school please let me know. Their rates and business practices seem far better suited for me than anything else I could find. Thanks ahead of time !

The school is pay as you go for national students. For M1 Visa students, I believe you would have to fork up the entire amount for the training before you start. At least that is what the operations manager told me the other day. If I had to guess a reason for that, I would say it would be because of the Visa. She mentioned something about accommodations as well, and I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue. There is always a student, mechanic, or flight instructor who is willing to rent out a room. I'm not 100% positive on this information, so don't quote me. You would need to talk to the operations manager for the best information in regards to the M1 Visa training program. Thanks and good luck on finding a school that fits your training needs.

The school is pay as you go for national students. For M1 Visa students, I believe you would have to fork up the entire amount for the training before you start. At least that is what the operations manager told me the other day. If I had to guess a reason for that, I would say it would be because of the Visa. She mentioned something about accommodations as well, and I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue. There is always a student, mechanic, or flight instructor who is willing to rent out a room. I'm not 100% positive on this information, so don't quote me. You would need to talk to the operations manager for the best information in regards to the M1 Visa training program. Thanks and good luck on finding a school that fits your training needs.

Thanks for the info. I sent the Flight School Administrator a mail but am yet to hear from him/her. If I have to pay my training fees 100% upfront, then the school is not for me. I wont take the risk of paying large chunk of money to any flight school.

The school is pay as you for international students as well. I confirmed that from the school Administrator. There is accommodation too. From what she told me, the training cost will be high. Am waiting for her mail before concluding.

Ok, perfect. I must have misunderstood what she said. That's great you were able to get in contact with her and she is helping you out.

Private, Instrument and Commercial rating will cost $92,560.00 - Room, Board, and Tuition. That is way high for me. So Leading Edge Aviation is off my list.

Thanks.

WOW, taught we were all over this, I have been apologetic to my past post, of which I was hammered on for being passionate about. Again....I am sorry....I have a lot to learn and currently studying every day at least 3-5 hours a day, just didn't like all the negativity at first but I know I came off a little strong...I'm not a bad guy and love what I'm doing and do respect everyone here. (to SPIKE, sorry as well, know you have more experience than I could ever think of having; but would like to be at your level one day). That being said let's please move forward and if I am ever out of line...trust me I know you guys/gal will put me in my place, but I don't want that to be, I am here to learn and grow as a future and hopefully a successful pilot...fair enough?

Fly Safe,

Dustin