Which of these Schools Should I Attend?

Despam

Despam, just give Tom a call, he will work with you...he has gave the opportunity to many international students for a cheaper price that I read from your above post...I understand you have seen this thread go back and forth...but at least call him and talk to him one on one...Barnabas was my key instructor of whom is from Hungary and there are other students of which the Helicopter Academy gives free room and board that are from London, Germany, Europe as well as the locals here in the states. GOOD LUCK!!!

-Dustin

THE HELICOPTER ACADEMY HAS TRAINED STUDENTS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD, I HAVE MEET CFI'S FROM HUNGARY, GERMANY, EUROPE AND MANY OTHER COUNTRY'S...THEY ALL SEEM TO BE HAPPY WITH THE TRAINING AND LOVE IT...I'M FROM FLORIDA AND LOVE IT AS WELL, DO SOME RESEARCH BUT PERSONALLY I'D WOULD GO WITH THE HELICOPTER ACADEMY, AS STATED EARLIER THEY HAVE FREE HOUSING AND I ACTUALLY MOVED IN THERE A FEW MONTHS BACK FROM JACKSONVILLE BEACH FLORIDA AND ALL THE STUDENTS AND CFI'S ARE THERE TO HELP AND ALL WE DO IS EAT, DRINK, STUDY HELICOPTERS...

BEST WISHES,

DUSTIN_904 554 2727

Why must you yell to get your point across?

• Like 2

Hello everyone, I am new here. My name is Essien. I want to get trained early next year - around March 2012 to be precise.I wanted to go through the FW route but discovered I will still end up paying the same amount as going for RW from start. So been researching FW schools all this while. I am an international student so I can't visit any school.

I have researched RW schools as well. I have a shortlist of 4. Which of these schools will you recommend I attend and why? In order of preference:

1. Civic Helicopters

2. Quantum Helicopters

3. Palm Beach Helicopters

4. Group 3 Aviation

Please if there is any other good school you feel I should look at, let me know.

Thank you in advance.

If you want to work in the US to build up flight time you need a school which offers a F1 Visa program. M1 is nice but you can't work. To my knowledge there are currently only three schools offering such Visa:

Bristow Academy

Hillsboro Aviation and

Mauna Loa

If you want to work in the US to build up flight time you need a school which offers a F1 Visa program. M1 is nice but you can't work...

If I understand the explanation of Optional Practical Training on Wikipedia correctly, your statement doesn't seem to be entirely correct.

M-1 students are also permitted to engage in post-completion OPT. They are entitled to one month of training for every four months of study, with a maximum length of six months.

Also see: F Visa & M-1 Visa and the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

there are no guarantees in the helicopter business my friend. And for boat pix... well, lets just say that you are not going to reach your full potential racking up your hours that way (and for all you boat pix fans, I am open to a good debate) Becoming an instructor is the best route. Even though it sucks in every sense of the word, you will learn how to fly the right way. Furthermore, price shouldn't be a factor when selecting a school. You will find a way to make it work. Choose the school that gives you the best chance at becoming an instructor. Its worth paying a little more. Remember, the higher the student flow at the school, the better chance you have of getting hired.

Edited by Logan
  • Like 1

And for boat pix... well, lets just say that you are not going to reach your full potential racking up your hours that way (and for all you boat pix fans, I am open to a good debate) Becoming an instructor is the best route.

Being a CFI may be the only route available to new pilots (due simply to the huge over supply of pilots looking for work), but some of you seem to forget that, Teaching is just one of the jobs a Career Pilot can do, it is NOT A PREREQUISITE to becoming one!

Flying Photos, AG, Cattle Mustering, Pipeline/Powerline Patrol, and Tuna Spotting, are all perfectly good ways for a low-timer to have the valuable experiences he needs to "reach his full potential"! These routes are just a lot harder to get into! However, the very, very, very, few pilots lucky enough to find them are just as good as ANY CFI!

Debate away,...but we should probably just start a new thread for this?

:)

Get out of town for a few days and this menagerie has gone from cocky, to rationalizing, to defending, to more rationalizing, to speculation, to avoidance, to accusations, to reflection, to apologetic. Is this for real? Maybe, then again, maybe not….

The internet is full of information. Some of it is true and some of it is pure-grade malarkey. The problem is; there is no way of gauging the bull-poop from the legit. Therefore, the truth lies in the beholder and not with what is actually said. However, what is said can reveal bits of evidence which may lead the reader to believe there is some heavy BS afoot….

First, I have to say I have zero experience with Helicopter Academy or Boatpix. Never had experience nor never needed and, never plan to have. Truthfully, I don’t see the difference between the two companies and that in itself raises suspicion. There are flight schools all over this country which engage in aerial photography so why the separation between these two? Evidentially, this comes down to a marketing strategy… Maybe, maybe not… In any case, let’s review further evidence provided by, well who knows……

Actually you do...I paid my 75K, and via contract I fly with Boatpix.com, you have to have the (300) hours to get put on the Boatpixs' Insurance...but YES, you are guaranteed a job!!!

The number one rule to avoid being ripped off is to never, I say again, never pay in full, up front. This is a monumental mistake anytime anyone is required to pay in full, in advance and, an huge indicator of an untrustworthy operator. Just ask any former SSH student. If you do pay in-full upfront, you only have yourself to blame for your own victimization. If any helicopter flight school requires the customer to pay in full, up-front, is reason enough to steer clear, regardless of your enthusiasm. As for a job guarantee, this is impossible. Simply put, the profitability of any company is significantly reduced by adding additional staff without the additional customers. This is supply and demand in its purest form and any ninth grader can figure it out. Plus, the helicopter flight training segment and/or aerial photography niche are not considered booming businesses at the moment. In fact, their both currently in the dumps. However, if what is said is true, then 10%-ish of the unemployed citizens of this country have hope….

I am a new student as well and have been flying Boatpix for about (3) months now and love it!!!

You probably love cheeseburgers too. However, to broadcast your love for a company for which you are a paying customer is a marketing ploy at its best, regardless of your intentions. In fact, by including Boatpix in your screen name is, for all intensives purposes, marketing the company. Whether you are receiving some form of compensation is irrespective of the marketing itself. Maybe you’re not that bright…. Then again, maybe you are bright but just not who you say you are?

This site has a VERY TOUGH crowd!!! But look in to it...FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME I CAN GIVE YOU NUMEROUS REFERENCE'S. Just like you I was searching schools and Tom show me the direction to go...at the end of the day it's up to you and your money...BUT I TELL YA IT'S A LOT OF FUN BRO!!!

Fly Safe,

Dustin_904 554 2727!!!

Spoken like a true marketing agent. BTW, the motorcycle thread is a nice way to “connect” with the forum users and attempt to gain “defenders”. Raced MX nationwide? As a lifetime MX’er I’ve never heard this term. Google can and does provide all kinds of information to “connect” with the demographics for your marketing strategy. It’s easy to do but you should first get the terms straightened out. This is coming from a “smoker” fan… On-your-mark, get-set, go-Google…………….

@ SPIKE...yes I do understand your theory about how can you get a job...

I beg to differ. If you have not attained certification which qualifies you for employment as a pilot, you, by-de-fact-toe, can’t understand…. True, you may understand how to get an “average-Joe” job, but this line of work is nowhere near an average-Joe J-O-B….

lets say you cant grasp the content and controls....understandable...but if you can you will be guaranteed a job...NOT EVERYONE CAN LEARN TO FLY...UNDERSTOOD....but this company didn't opened up last year but actually over 20+ years....so something must be going right...

Again with the marketing…. Just so you know, flight schools come and go. The importance of the length of time a flight school is in business ranks about #18 out of 20 on the importance scale when choosing a flight school….

I'm still very new with the company and have seen nothing but POSITIVES, and an accelerated learning curve, and all this site does is bad mouth a member of whom pays here....what give's guys/gals...the Helicopter Academy is top notch...THIS IS COMING FORM A NON-PAID STUDENT..AND IM SURE THE OTHER BOATPIX PILOTS WILL STATE THE SAME!!!

Again with the marketing. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck......

(to SPIKE, sorry as well, know you have more experience than I could ever think of having; but would like to be at your level one day).

How do you know my level of experience? I could be a first class poop flinger too yaknow! Paragraph #2 applies to me too. The difference is I understand that and act accordingly….

That being said let's please move forward and if I am ever out of line...trust me I know you guys/gal will put me in my place, but I don't want that to be, I am here to learn and grow as a future and hopefully a successful pilot...fair enough?

To put it politely, we’re not a tough crowed. We’re just honest folks who try to help those who genuinely seek information about the helicopter industry. So far, you don’t fall into this category. Having said that, good luck with,,, well whatever..

Edited by Spike
  • Like 5

Oh, that was great! I did go to college for marketing but never really thought about it in that aspect, I quit school when my father passed and yes, I have raced my whole life. That being said, some what your are saying is true, the other isn't. I agree with me marketing and promoting Boatpix, as I have invested a lot of time, money and sacrifice's, for this company; are there other schools out there...of course. I have had a few IM's from other members telling me that I shouldn't be sparring w/ ya. I respect that you have been flyn every since I probably had my first "poop" fair enough, however, I am doing my best to further my career and knowledge of the helicopter industry. And as I said prior...I apologize for coming off the wrong way. I am here to learn and become a better pilot...point blank, but will stand up for myself when being talked derogatory towards....PERIOD!

-Dustin

Get your face out of the computer and start studying until you cant study anymore, thats how you get ahead of the pack in this industry. Smarts, common sense, attitude toward learning, reputation, reputation, character, hard work, dedication. Anybody can wiggle sticks. You get a bad rep in this small industry or rub the right guy the wrong way and they will end you. I respect you standing up for yourself but look, your name and phone number are public now,(stupid) ....heres some advice. Never miss a good opportunity to keep your mouth shut. If you want to make a career out of flying, remember that pilots are a dime a dozen, what makes you better than the other 1200hr CFI?

Oh, that was great! I did go to college for marketing but never really thought about it in that aspect, I quit school when my father passed and yes, I have raced my whole life. That being said, some what your are saying is true, the other isn't. I agree with me marketing and promoting Boatpix, as I have invested a lot of time, money and sacrifice's, for this company; are there other schools out there...of course. I have had a few IM's from other members telling me that I shouldn't be sparring w/ ya. I respect that you have been flyn every since I probably had my first "poop" fair enough, however, I am doing my best to further my career and knowledge of the helicopter industry. And as I said prior...I apologize for coming off the wrong way. I am here to learn and become a better pilot...point blank, but will stand up for myself when being talked derogatory towards....PERIOD!

-Dustin

I agree with me marketing and promoting Boatpix, as I have invested a lot of time, money and sacrifice's, for this company;

Hey lad,

Most of us here invested time, money and sacrifices into a flight school, that doesn't mean that we go around with the schools name in our username and start acting like idiots on a forum with our names and numbers all over the place. The school I went to would have frowned upon it and I'm sure there are people from BP doing the same.

I have met your sort before and funnily enough, they haven't gotten far without an attitude adjustment.

I've never met you face to face but if I knew you were that guy from the forum and it was up to me to give you a job, it wouldn't be looking good. Some employers will actually ask you if you post on a forum and your username. Remember that when you post.

So, I would take the advice from above and change the obnoxious username and quieten down a bit!!

Edited by Trans Lift

so you get a new screen name to get a fresh start and tell us its you?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

with the same profile picture...

Edited by Trans Lift

I was actually on here months ago under this name...but hadn't started flyn yet...so yeah...What do you guys expect from me?

I'm just saying if changing your screen name is to put some time and distance between you and a bad reputation telling us its you defeats that purpose. What to do to change how your perceived. Don't associate yourself with the obnoxious bp spamming ads you had been doing. If you do talk about bp do so objectively not like a used car salesman.

• Like 2

If I understand the explanation of Optional Practical Training on Wikipedia correctly, your statement doesn't seem to be entirely correct.

M-1 students are also permitted to engage in post-completion OPT. They are entitled to one month of training for every four months of study, with a maximum length of six months.

Also see: F Visa & M-1 Visa and the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

Agreed, not exactly correct.

M1 can be up to one year. It is theoretically possible to get into the OPT program. Practically it would require to finish all training in less than a year to have some time left to work. I have not seen many students graduating in less than a year and who would hire a CFI/Pilot with maybe 2 month left on there VISA?

I sure have missed being able to log onto VR and read good quality informative posts in the last week or two. I remember when TV went this same route years ago. ( I have been a night shift worker most my career.) I have to say, Jerry Springer got old real quick.

I would like to say that through all this BS lately people would know BP inside and out. From where I stand, I only see the same BS over and over again and none of the important questions answered.

I do understand how it is to have a sense of pride and stick up for your friends. For the most part every squadron I have been in was always the best in my eyes. That was not based on facts, it was what we call squadron pride. Totally different than marketing though. Squadron pride is a way to make peope feel like they belong,take care of their equiptment, facilities, do a good job, and raise morale.

To make the argument that BP is a paying advertiser on the site does not make it right to flood the forums with BS. The have thier banner which they paid for just like all the others. I don't see this nonsense from 702, Mauna Loa, Colorado Heli Ops, Mountain ridge, JR Aviation, Bristow, ect.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, sorry OP for all the nonsense you have to weed through to find good info. This site isn't normally filled with this type of content. I'm sure you have figured out the good leads by now. I will be the first to tell you I am not experienced and the schools I suggested are purely from a quick search of who provides visa...And I am sure I missed some.

• Like 1

I am decoding this thread. What is says is... "BOAT PIX SUCKS"..."Tuna boats suck!"...and any job that gives you hours without teaching is going to slow you down from reaching your full potential. Anyone that says otherwise is not your friend. Be a man, become a CFI.

So, does it also say; I'm better than you because I'm a CFI?

I'm just a lowly commercial pilot, and apparently not even a man!,...so much for a "good" debate?

<_<