David Clark headsets - helicopter compatibility?

I still plan on going to the school. I figure I have 21 months to get down to 200 or less, to be able to fly in a 22. With the GI Bill paying for my training I have the financial resources to go through the R44 program, and get hours in an R22 once I meet the weight restrictions. I have a goal, 12month workout plan to lose 60lbs and be under 200.

I've always wanted to be a helo pilot since I first flew in a CH-53 in 2001, and wanted to be a pilot since I was a kid. My current weight isn't going to stop me from pursuing my life career goal. I'll just set smaller goals like losing weight to help me reach my end goal.

Good luck with it. Just remember, the fact is that every pound of pilot weight equals a pound of lost payload. Given similar qualifications, a 150 pound pilot will get the job over a 200 pound pilot. That's not to say you can't get a job, but it will be harder than for a lighter person. It may not be fair, but that's the way it works. If you can easily lose > 40 pounds, you're seriously out of shape now. If that's the case, you'll be better off without the weight no matter what. But losing muscle is difficult, and can lead to other health problems. Be sure you know what you're doing with that.

Good luck with it. Just remember, the fact is that every pound of pilot weight equals a pound of lost payload. Given similar qualifications, a 150 pound pilot will get the job over a 200 pound pilot. That's not to say you can't get a job, but it will be harder than for a lighter person. It may not be fair, but that's the way it works. If you can easily lose > 40 pounds, you're seriously out of shape now. If that's the case, you'll be better off without the weight no matter what. But losing muscle is difficult, and can lead to other health problems. Be sure you know what you're doing with that.

Being 6'3" I haven't been under 165 since my senior year of hs! I have about 28% bf right now, so I do have to lose, and ill be more healthy, but I don't consider myself way out of shape. I'll just cut my weight training back to less weight/more reps, eat healthier, and start doing cardio 5 days a week.

• 10 years later...