Lightspeed Zulu Question

Brady Dale

Gentlemen,

I am in a little bit of a dilemma. I purchased a pair of Lightspeed Zulu 2's for the helicopter, but I also have a DC H20-10XL when I did my fixed PPL. The Zulu's are great but if I return them I an get two more lessons in the helicopter. My question is with experience in the long run is having the headset or the training more important?

Thanks!

Brady

• Like 1

Keep the Zulu's.

When you are done with training and you have a job flying 6-8 hours a day you will be thankful for the Zulu's. Best purchase I ever made was my pair. I went from being utterly exhausted at the end of an 8 hour day, to full of energy and ready to fly another 8 hours. The light weight and quietness makes a huge difference.

• Like 3

+10. I just forked up some dough for a Bose Aviation X off of ebay yesterday precisely for the reasons Photoflyer mentioned. I bought a cheap Roanwell Falcon headset from ebay last year (David Clark replica) and it has worked out great, but the comfort on it isn't top notch. I figure since I'm going to be in the industry for years on down the road, I may as well just buy a great headset for the long run.

• Like 1

If you plan on doing this as a career, keep the Zulu's. You need to be as comfortable as possible when you start flying 6-8 hours a day. Having a good, lightweight, noise canceling headset has helped cut down on stress for me. I feel like I can function a lot better when I'm not struggling to understand what tower is saying, as well as not hearing a constant loud noise in the background.

As for your dilemma, I have been there. I didn't buy my Zulu's until I became employed for this very reason. I used some Avcomms in flight school so that I could put every extra dollar I had into flying. I guess it really matters on how you are financially. If you're struggling, and still a little ways off from finishing, I'd say return them and buy a new pair when you're employed. However, if you're relatively close to being done and can possibly scrape up some cash to finish up, Go ahead and keep them. It really depends (In my opinion) on how you are financially and how close you are to finishing.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1