Buying additional "specific" training

There's a relatively new ad at the top of the screen now for AG training.

They don't promise a job, but the do say this:

Job Placement and Internship program's available for selected Pilots who complete the program

So, is it worth the extra 20-30K, to be trained for yet another "specific" job (like you all do with CFI/II training)?

Should 150hr Commercial Pilots do this training instead of CFI/II training?

Or, is it just another scam (like when I paid a similar price to learn Frost Patrol in a 206)?

:huh:

• Like 1

Reading those posts makes me think that they may actually be on the up-and-up?

If I were a Newbie Commercial Pilot I would definitely consider them, instead of blowing more money on becoming just another CFII looking for students.

Interesting though, that they posted pretty much the same question the same day I did?

:blink:

• Like 1

My first impression is that the ground school would be of the most benefit due to state certification for the pesticides. I wouldn't think you'd need anywhere near 25 hours in an aircraft. I'm not saying you wouldn't improve over time, because obviously you would, but that time seems excessive. I've never dabbled in ag, and I'm not detracting from the skill required, but I also don't see that the average pilot would gain enough to warrant the cost for that much time in an aircraft.

Butters, you paid to learn frost patrol? How did you get talked into that one and what did it entail?

Butters, you paid to learn frost patrol? How did you get talked into that one and what did it entail?

"Go through our training program and we'll give you a job!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The course was a combination of a Turbine Transition (all the basics, etc...) and Frost Patrol (practicing over various different fields (most of them on the sides of hills), basically hover taxiing on the tops of trees, and AG turns).

It was actually a lot of fun!

:)

• Like 1

The course was a combination of a Turbine Transition (all the basics, etc...) and Frost Patrol (practicing over various different fields (most of them on the sides of hills), basically hover taxiing on the tops of trees, and AG turns).

And you payed to learn how to hover taxi over fields?

I have never paid for one bit of specific training. I did all of my initial training in 300's. My theory was if a company wants me then they can train me.

So far I have done instructing, aerial survey, aerial photo, cherry drying, crop spraying, external load, powerline patrol and rides. I got the SFAR for the 44 paid for in my last job. Get in with the right company (or companies) and they will give you the training you need. You should pay more to network than you do on specific training, it will be a lot more beneficial in the long run.

Howd the job part work out?

They said I had the job, then a few weeks later when it came time to start, the said it was cancelled due to "unseasonably warm weather". No biggie,...sh*t happens.

They then told me that they had nothing else for me to do, and repeated that every time I called.

A few months later they posted another ad, "Go through our training program and we'll give you a job". <_<

Well hiring was conditional on buying the training how is it legal to sell that training to someone else under the pre text of being hired when someone is qualified and waiting for that job he was told he would receive if he bought said training? Assuming we know the whole story.

No contract, thus no recourse.

Besides, technically, I did actually get hired,...it was the job that was cancelled, and I was to sign the contract on the first day of work.

So, lesson learned, if you go for one of these, "go through our training programs and we'll give you a job" deals, sign a contract BEFORE you start TRAINING!

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, on the subject of turbine transitions......An interesting and tempting animal for the piston driver.....

Having done one, I would suggest taking that money and paying for solo night cross county, FTDA training, more IFR approaches or get real crazy and get a PPL Airplane add-on for about $1500 more! I chose to do one because I was competing for a position and felt it would provide an immediate benefit. Which it did.

If you do decide to do it, make sure you know exactly what the course involves. I did mine at Civic Helicopters in Carlsbad. I hear the one Mazzei in Fresno offers is pretty decent also. Mine was about 10-15hrs of ground literally going over in intense detail the operations of the engine and the "new" gauges you would be exposed to. The flights were 1 hr and involved nothing but quick stops, autos, stuck pedals, pirouette turns, a little bit of mountain and confined area and MORE autos. You were in the left seat, starting the helicopter. The owner was standing on the ground on the pilot side guarding your hands and the starter so if you decided to burn up his helicopter he could stop you and save his machine. Once it was stabilized he got in. I have heard turbine transition stories where the owner started and the student had the privilege of "observing" the start while pretending to follow through on the co-pilot collective. Then spent 5 hrs at 3500ft doing private pilot maneuvers or going on straight and level 1hr cross countries. If your turbine transition involves x-country flights....dont bother! You need to get in there, get dirty and understand torque and temp and how they correlate with maneuvering. Not trimmed out straight and level at 2500ft.

When that battery switch goes on and you hear the "tick tick boom" your paying about $10-$12 per minute, so don't feel embarrassed about asking exactly what you'll be doing!