Any advice on AS or AAS degree?

Sonic04GT

I am applying to my local college for this program, covered by my Veteran's Benefits (Post 911 GI Bill).

http://www.palmbeachstate.edu/x3223.xml?id=125

However, I can not decide which route to take. I understand that the AS is the only one that can be transferred to a BS but the thing is, I'm not sure what direction I'll end up going once I finish the course. I think I would rather use my remaining benefits to build time rather than purse a Aeronautics Bachelor's degree.

The AAS courses at the bottom for General Ed appeal more and seem to be more related to the career but at the same time I guess it would be good to have an AS in case I did decide to pursue a BS.

This is what the program director at the college told me:

"At this time the AAS program is still available, but it is going to be removed as an available option in the near future, so my best advice would be that you choose the AS option. Also if you are planning to continue your education to obtain a Bachelor’s Degree, you would have to have a AS Degree."

Easy decision?

Having a two year degree from a community college isn't the question when moving on to a four year college pursuing a BS degree... The question is how many credits does the four year school accept from the community college you attended... Far to many times students are disappointed to learn several of the courses they took to meet their community college requirements don't meet the four year schools requirements and as such the course credit doesn't apply and you end up taking a few additional courses at the four year college to fill in for those classes that you don't receive transfer credit for...

Pursuing a community college degree that best fills the four year schools general education requirements is probably a sound idea if your not sure of your educational goals at this point...

• Like 1

Having a two year degree from a community college isn't the question when moving on to a four year college pursuing a BS degree... The question is how many credits does the four year school accept from the community college you attended... Far to many times students are disappointed to learn several of the courses they took to meet their community college requirements don't meet the four year schools requirements and as such the course credit doesn't apply and you end up taking a few additional courses at the four year college to fill in for those classes that you don't receive transfer credit for...

Pursuing a community college degree that best fills the four year schools general education requirements is probably a sound idea if your not sure of your educational goals at this point...

Well this is what it says in the link above:

"Palm Beach State currently has an Articulation or Transfer Agreement with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University which will allow the student who successfully completes this program to transfer the credits toward a Bachelor of Science in Professional Aeronautics and/or Technical Management."

Although right now my main focus is getting my certifications and flying for hire/instructing.

Well this is what it says in the link above:

"Palm Beach State currently has an Articulation or Transfer Agreement with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University which will allow the student who successfully completes this program to transfer the credits toward a Bachelor of Science in Professional Aeronautics and/or Technical Management."

Although right now my main focus is getting my certifications and flying for hire/instructing.

I'm very familiar with ERAU and their transfer requirements... Nothing wrong with attending a community college and transferring, however it's your responsibility to insure the courses you complete are transferable...

• Like 1

I'm very familiar with ERAU and their transfer requirements... Nothing wrong with attending a community college and transferring, however it's your responsibility to insure the courses you complete are transferable...

Yeah I'll definitely look into it when it comes time to choose classes. But in the mean time I have to pick AS or AAS.

I guess it's kind of difficult when I don't know what I want to do after I finish training. As I mentioned I'll likely use my benefits for time building if allowed, since getting flight hours is probably more important than a degree. I assume?

Yeah I'll definitely look into it when it comes time to choose classes. But in the mean time I have to pick AS or AAS.

Take a look at course requirements for your top 3 picks your considering transferring too... Compare their course requirements to whats available at your community college and then speak with a guidance counselor at both the community college and four year college explaining what your goals are and after you have all the information, then choose which one best fits your career goals...

Keep in mind ERAU is a good school, but it's an extremely expensive school... However you can secure the same education at another university for far less expense.. I understand your using your GI benefits, however your choice of schools might need to be re-evaluated after spending the funds for flight training and classes at your local community college... The bottom line is you've got to do what's best for you and your goals, not the schools...