WOFT Packet (PRK) LOR's

Hey guys my name is Dan Hill and im currently a Senior at Purdue University studying Aeronautical Engineering Technology and going to get an A&P certificate when i graduate this May 2012. I am getting my WOFT Packet all set up with a recruiter now and need as much information on the PRK surgery and LOR's. Im currently trying to find good LOR's but dont know what is best. Would a current warrant officer be good? Another question i have is how long will my PRK surgery postpone me from getting a WOFT slot? Does the board look down on applicants that have had PRK. I currently have 20/50 and thats with squinting. Thanks Dan

• Like 1

I had PRK done the week before I walked into the recruiters office. It took three months until I could get a physical (if I remember right).

LORs from a Warrant are great. Pilots are great too.

20/50 should be fine without PRK. My eyes were worse and I got in.

As for letters of recommendation, don't get wrapped up in who is writing them. Focus on getting the best quality LORs you can from people who are best able to describe why you would be good for the program. My best LOR was from my high school history teacher.

I went the street-to-seat route and got in with PRK.

As far as I know, selection is not like the Air Force where they have a percentage cap on how many selectees with refractive surgery waivers they can take at each board.

akscott60 is right -- it's a three month minimum wait before you can have your vision tested for the physical.

While I agree with SBuzzkill about the letters of recommendation (quality is super important), the trend in my WOCS class was that everyone had letters from field grade officers. At the very minimum, try to get a letter of recommendation from a CW3-CW5 or O4 and up -- it couldn't hurt!

• 2 months later...

Well guys i got my PRK surgery Dec 16th so right now my vision is pretty good 20/30 but in about another month it should be 20/20 or better hopefully. I am going to complete the rest of my packet before graduation but im just wanting to know from prior/current street to seat guys if i will be competitive for a pilot slot with my bachelors degree in Aeronautical Engineering Technology? also will my A&P certificate and private pilot license help me get selected? it's been my dream to fly helicopters so any information to help me succeed and complete my dream would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Only 256 applicants boarded in FY11, and the selection rate is almost 70%. Yes, you have a good shot. A BA is great, flight experience is great.

FLIGHT SCHOOL APPLICANT STATISTICS FY 11

WOFT– 256 Boarded | In-Service – 977 BoardEd

SELECTION RATE – 69.1% | SELECTION RATE – 21%

AVERAGE AGE – 25.5 | AVERAGE AGE – 28

AVERAGE AFAST – 123 | AVERAGE AFAST – 129

AVERAGE GT – 123 | AVERAGE GT – 121

AVERAGE GPA – 3.12 | AVERAGE ACTIVE FEDERAL SERVICE – 6

AVERAGE APFT – 274 | AVERAGE APFT - 276

• Like 1

FLIGHT SCHOOL APPLICANT STATISTICS FY 11

WOFT– 256 Boarded | In-Service – 977 BoardEd

SELECTION RATE – 69.1% | SELECTION RATE – 21%

I wonder why the selection rate is so much higher for civilians than those who are in service/prior service? Do the civilian stats include those who are prior service?

Those are the people applying for the WOFT or "street to seat".

Why are they selected more often? Probably to keep the spread even. I know Chief Reese wants a 50/50 spread, but I dont see that happening with numbers like that.

I wonder why the selection rate is so much higher for civilians than those who are in service/prior service? Do the civilian stats include those who are prior service?

It's right there in your quoted test. Only 256 civilain applicants were looked at vs nearly 1000 in service applicants. There just aren't many civilians applying so most of them get picked up.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...