New GoPro model hits the market

swisster

Very good info, thanks!

I'm experienced at soldering so that's not the issue. I am more concerned about any problems due to impedance matching with the ICS plug vs. the internal mic.

EDIT: Also, all the little plastic bits and tiny metal springs that will no doubt pop out of place when I disassemble the camera. Are there many and will I ever get them back in place and working?

Awesome! I just now saw this thread. I emailed go-pro over a year ago asking if they offered a product that had an audio input. They said it was being considered. Sweet, now that its out I can finally buy a go-pro.

Very good info, thanks!

I'm experienced at soldering so that's not the issue. I am more concerned about any problems due to impedance matching with the ICS plug vs. the internal mic.

EDIT: Also, all the little plastic bits and tiny metal springs that will no doubt pop out of place when I disassemble the camera. Are there many and will I ever get them back in place and working?

I cant comment on impedance matching, im no electrician...

the only thing that you might possibly lose is the HI - LO switch on the back that controls whether your filming in high definition or not. Its pretty small, and isnt held in there by anything except the case itself, I didnt have a problem though. As long as your workspace is pretty clear you should be fine.

Here's some recent video using the Gopro in a Helicycle:

http://www.juanr.com/Video/Flights/Taxi-1_Hi_Res/N750G%20First%20Video.htm

These HD cameras look like they would also do well airborne:

http://www.raceoptics.com/products.php

I purchased a Sony HXR-MC1 when they first came out, lot's of competion in that market now.

Video shot with the Sony from my Raven II:

Mike

• Like 1

Hey B! Do you have any videos up?

No, I haven't used it yet.

I'll be out of town the rest of the week for my FW check ride, so I won't get to play with it until next week - unless you're interested in a video documenting the thrill-a-minute coverage of IFR navigation and approaches... :rolleyes:

I do have the mount velcroed to my helmet though... Don't worry, I'll post some videos when I get back in the helicopter!

If your using velcro, you should check out 3M Dual Lock strips. They're much stronger then regular velcro strips. I used velcro on my headset initially, but it wasnt holding too great. Picked up a pack of these dual lock fasteners, and I am very impressed by how strong they are.

http://www.3m.com/product/information/Dual-Lock-Reclosable-Fastener.html

(no affiliation with 3M ;) )

If your using velcro, you should check out 3M Dual Lock strips. They're much stronger then regular velcro strips. I used velcro on my headset initially, but it wasnt holding too great. Picked up a pack of these dual lock fasteners, and I am very impressed by how strong they are.

http://www.3m.com/pr...e-Fastener.html

(no affiliation with 3M ;) )

I did notice the velcro lets the camera move around a little. The camera leans on the edge of the helmet visor cover to keep it from vibrating.

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely get some of this 3M stuff.

@JCM5 - That's a terrific image and I like the perspective and field of view. That's exactly the perspective I'd like to record my flights from!

I have a camera mount that I use in my car on track days that has two clamps to attach to headrest posts. The seats in the AStar don't have headrests, but the two map lights are attached by posts that might accommodate my mount.

Here's the mount I have...

812110.jpg

And because I know B-Hill wants to see it ;) , here's a video (taken with my old Hi-8 camera) of me chasing a friend at Spokane Raceway Park. Really illustrates how far cameras have come!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XAImjyodZo

Nice vids palm. Do you know Aaron Breden? Drives a red M5...friend of mine. Lives and races out in Spokane.

I have my GoPro mounted in the headset hook in the R-22. Field of views is pretty spot on. Might increase resolution siza a bit for more vertical field of view for my next flight.

Nice vids palm. Do you know Aaron Breden? Drives a red M5...friend of mine. Lives and races out in Spokane.

I have my GoPro mounted in the headset hook in the R-22. Field of views is pretty spot on. Might increase resolution siza a bit for more vertical field of view for my next flight.

I don't know him but the name sounds familiar...maybe. Did he own a Honda S2000 back in 2006 (before the club banned ragtops from the track)? I don't go to Spokane very often and I haven't made the pilgrimage to SRP since 2006 (my 4 track wheels/tires are difficult to transport in my little E30).

Yeah, I think that mount location is perfect for your camera. Your GoPro also has a mic input, which is nice. How did you get IC audio to it?

I'm not sure if he had an S2000. I know he had an E46 M3 prior to his M5. He owns www.brecus.com

...great site for BMW parts but not sure if he has E30 stuff. Love E30's by the way it's on my hit list. I currently drive an E39 M5. Beautiful car but thinking of selling it and getting a new X5 and an old E30 vert.

Also the new GoPro camera has a microphone input source right on the side of the camera now. Just got a simple external mic from radio shack that I tuck inside my headset. Works great, no modification required and I don't feel it at all.

Here's another few clips I smashed together from the same flight. More radio calls and post flight check list. Only my fourth flight still trying to keep her floating in one spot :-p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmNEJdJdvsE

Your M5 is a keeper. I love the E39 - the last of the great 5ers.

Looks like you're doing great with your training after only 4 flights! I don't recognize your instructor - are you flying with Northwest Helicopters or Classic?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got around to trying out my new ContourRoam in the ASTar. It's my first video so I'm still learning.

Taken with default settings (720p at 30 fps). Mounted to my helmet.

Thoughts? Specifically, I'm thinking I need the camera to look a little more to the left to see out of both windscreens. Also wondering if my head movements are distracting - should I use a rigid cockpit mount?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azFpuP-e06Q&list=UUxIOzyD08R_tek6tjbNE5_Q&index=2&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHbL8mZ6Bqs&list=UUxIOzyD08R_tek6tjbNE5_Q&index=1&feature=plcp

• Like 1

What do you do for work?

I work in law enforcement.

The weather is looking better today so I'll try some more video - this time with my fixed mount and 1080p.

BTW Rotorwashed, I got some 3M Dual Lock. Thanks for the tip, it's much better than velcro!

glad I could help! your videos look great, I don't think the head movements are distracting at all. I think its much better than a fixed mount, because we can see roughly where you are looking and focusing. I can see how some people might not like it, but for me it just provides a much better, more dynamic view then staring out the same hole in the windscreen.

• Like 1

Yeah the vids are pretty cool. I just got one for christmas. Went out on the motorbike for a ride with it yesterday and got some cool results. Looking forward to getting it in the cockpit next week!

It was a nice morning, so I flew for 2 hours today.

I used my fixed-mount and changed the camera settings to 1080p. I think both were a failure - the mount introduced vibration to the camera that I think is distracting, and the 1080p resolution looks no better than 720p but hogs memory and battery life. It also reduces FOV from 170 to 120 (though I admit I didn't really notice this).

My next project is to either do the mic plug mod, or just add a music soundtrack to my videos.

I'm going to stop posting videos here but you're welcome to check out my Youtube page (right Buzz?)! Summertime is when I plan to put the camera to good use...

• Like 1