There has got to be an easier way

AndyG

A week ago I was flying to my local airport to get some instruction to prepare for my check ride. I was feeling good because I just passed my CRH written that morning.

I was about a mile north of the LZ when the without warning the engine went silent. The rest is in the paper. http://www.timesbull...SectionID=4&S=1

This was in a Rotorway and the cause was inside the engine. Fuel and ignition system in working order. This isn’t the first time its happened and this time it made me think is it worth it?. I know this Scorpion is an old machine, but, its all I can afford. I guess I'm posting this in hopes of finding a better way of gaining experience.

I've seriously thought about selling the Rotorway and going to a school to finish my ratings. But, from reading this form it looks like those ratings are worthless without the hours.

Andy

Andy, glad you made it down ok, was nice to meet you at Mentone. just got done watching the homer bell fly-in video and was watching some of your flying.

hate to hear your Engine took a dump on you? how many hours does your engine have on it?

I have been told at 500 hours you have to rebuild the heads.

I had a 162 carbed engine in my Scorpion, it had 500 hours on it when I got the engine, a few hours of test running it and I had a rocker arm that kept. jumping off the pushrod. just wondering if that might be the same thing that happened to your Engine.

I still have my Commuter for sale, if you would like a machine with a real aircraft engine in it.

Or if you know anyone that wants a cheap to fly time builder. 90 h.p. Continental C-90-12F

$22,000 will take my Commuter H-1B and yes it is Current again. had it inspected at mentone before I left.

Again sorry to hear you had a Problem just glad you made it down safe, that is a sweet old Scorpion.

Tim Heilig. Owner ( N814S ) 336-301-0621

Hi Tim I do remember seeing you there. I know what's wrong inside the engine. Nothing will change, I'll probably keep on flying it until I can get a job. The engine had 190hrs on it.

I should be thankful, I'm 22yrs and I have my own helicopter. Even with all the repairs/updates it's still paid for itself in the 150+ that flown it.

Not looking for another homebuilt if I sell my scorpion. How many hrs do u have that commuter now? Did you end up getting your rating? Andy

Hi Tim I do remember seeing you there. I know what's wrong inside the engine. Nothing will change, I'll probably keep on flying it until I can get a job. The engine had 190hrs on it.

I should be thankful, I'm 22yrs and I have my own helicopter. Even with all the repairs/updates it's still paid for itself in the 150+ that flown it.

Not looking for another homebuilt if I sell my scorpion. How many hrs do u have that commuter now? Did you end up getting your rating? Andy

Wow, 22! yeah you are doing real good, I will be 50 dec. 30 and just now got a machine to get off the ground and sadly no funds to get my rating with.

If I may ask, what is the Issue with the engine in your Bird?

I have had several Helicopter projects and people still call me for advice on them from time to time, so any info I can pick up and pass along to other owners or prospective owners is always good.

I have been playing around just getting mine light on the skids and adjusting the Carb trying to get more power out of it. getting close to 40 hours now. cold temps have set in and I now live about 25 miles from my shop, so things are slower now.

Sorry I did not reply sooner, was in Florida looking at land. My Girl Friend Cindi is Retired Army AH 64 mech. and wants to move to Florida. needless to say I like that Idea also.

found a place with 5 acres that we could easily fly Helicopters in and out of.

maybe even some day have a Fly-in there.