Fiscal Year 2011 Accident statistics

Here are the latest accident statistics for FAA Fiscal Year 2011 which ended in September. Keep in mind these are total number of accidents, not accident RATES. This information is derived from official FAA statistics and refers only to "Accidents" not incidents. This information may differ from what is compiled from the FAA and NTSB website databases.

FAA Fiscal Year 2011: Total Helicopter accidents: 131 (16 fatal with 23 fatalities)

The five leading sectors with the highest number of accidents are:

1: Personal/Private (35 accidents or about 27% of all total accidents)

2: Aerial application (29 accidents or about 22% of all total accidents)

3: Instruction/Training (25 accidents or about 19% of all total accidents)

4: EMS (10 accidents or about 8% of all total accidents)

Comparison to FAA Fiscal Year 2010:

Total Helicopter accidents: 133 (21 fatal)

Leading sectors with highest number of accidents in FY 2010 were:

1: Personal/Private and flight instruction (79 accidents, 9 were fatal)

2: Aerial application (22 accidents, 3 were fatal)

3: EMS (14 accidents, 7 were fatal) EMS saw a good improvement from FY 2010.

In FY 2010 there were 14 accidents with 19 total people killed. In FY 2011 there were 10 accidents with 3 total people killed. To give you an idea to what the accident trend is. In 1984 there were 252 helicopter accidents. No year since has been that high and has trended downward to the current level of 131 accidents in 2011. However, the number of fatal accidents remains for the most part unchanged.

In FY 2010 there were 14 accidents with 19 total people killed. In FY 2011 there were 10 accidents with 3 total people killed. To give you an idea to what the accident trend is. In 1984 there were 252 helicopter accidents. No year since has been that high and has trended downward to the current level of 131 accidents in 2011. However, the number of fatal accidents remains for the most part unchanged.

JD- good seeing you at Heli-Success,. Remember also the increase in the number of helicopters flying since the 1984 days. So if we have 25% more ships flying now (at least) and we are down 50% since then, we are really down significantly more on a % basis.

Some year in the future we will have zero fatalities. Looking forward to that.

Fly safe, Goldy

Goldy, the way I understand it is back in '84 there was over 200 accident. In 2011 only just over 130. If the number of helicopters operating infact increased over the year I would expect the number of accidents to also increase not decrease. These stats are not accident rates which are normaly based on accidenter per 100,000 hours. Instead this is just the number of accidents per year.

500F I am unsure which category utility went under. I will check. I did not list each category, just the top five with most accidents.

Goldy, the way I understand it is back in '84 there was over 200 accident. In 2011 only just over 130. If the number of helicopters operating infact increased over the year I would expect the number of accidents to also increase not decrease. .

Hey JD- thats my point. I believe we have more ships flying around today than in 1984, yet the number of accidents is down. Just think of how many R22's there were in 1984......and no R44's !

Must be some insurance stat somewhere that would list the number of ships flying in the US by year.