HeliSuccess Vegas 2011

heligirl03

What a fantastic weekend! THANK YOU, Lyn, VR members, sponsors and attendees for building this instrumental, educational low-timer event. My feet are killing me (darn girl shoes, lol) and my voice may not last through the first tour tomorrow so it must have been great, right? ;)

If I missed anyone who was there I have no idea how because I'm pretty sure I spoke with every last person in the room over 2.5 days :D

See you all in Dallas!

• Like 2

Great seeing you and meeting the hubby at the same time!

I am so glad that I attended and so pissed at myself for not going last year, or the year before. Somehow I thought that if I wasn't looking for a pilot job there was really no reason for me to attend. Simply put, wow, was I wrong!

I am a better pilot and a better person today than I was last week, hands down. I have a stronger understanding of what my future options are and how I am going to get there.

Lyn and Randy did a fantastic job. It was great meeting everyone and spending time with old friends and some not so old friends!

I would love to hear everyone's comments from those that attended. And for those who lurk but don't post much.....well here's your chance to speak up.

Heli Success was an amazing experience for me. It was great to meet so many amazing people and listen to their stories. Each and every presentation had a wealth of knowledge and advice poured into it. I was thrilled at being able to speak directly with the decision makers at the companies I want to join someday. I can't thank enough those that were so kind to offer their time and advice.

I truly believe this was a pivotal moment in my young career as it has given me the knowledge, confidence and perhaps most importantly, network, with which to build a successful career.

@Goldy - It was a pleasure meeting you and finally putting a face to the name.

@heligirl03 - Thank you for taking the time to chat with everyone in line and providing the advice and encouragement we all needed. Perhaps I will get that Lasik sooner rather than later.

Cheers!

I agree with dagrouch, the quality and quantity of advice and info has left me feeling empowered to mold my training in the direction I want to go. I'm still working on my commercial and instrument, but going to heli-success gave me many tips and tricks to be organized and methodical in reaching my goals. I also valued the repeated call to professionalism in our whole lives. It raises the bar on peoples perceptions and our own effectiveness. Now I just have to get my thoughts gathered from the 19 pages of notes I took :)

• Like 1

I will second what everyone else here is saying. Heli-Success 2011 was a fantastic experence for me. The presenters gave the most inspirational and motivating talks that I have ever had the pleasure of absorbing.

The insights that I gained through listening to all of the speakers left me speechless. In paticular, Mr. Randy Rowle's gave me some wonderful advice that will really help my career.

I want to thank all of the presenters including Randy, Lyn, and Barry. They have really given me something to shoot for in this industry and I cant wait for next year!!

Hey all!!

First, thanks to everyone that made this event happen, it was awesome, as usual. I cannot tell you how many great comments i got thruout the weekend about the event and all of the speakers. It was so cool to see old friends and make new ones.. here are some of the photos that Goldy and i took.. i'll get another link up soon.

https://www.facebook...29809710&type=1

dp

• Like 3

Arrrrrg it erks me that I wasnt able to be there!!

Dang government cant make up their mind on when/how to bring us home!!

Sounds like it was an awesome time! Next year for sure...

If you can make it to Heli Expo in February they will have a one day seminar called Heli Success Lite.

What a fantastic weekend! THANK YOU, Lyn, VR members, sponsors and attendees for building this instrumental, educational low-timer event. My feet are killing me (darn girl shoes, lol) and my voice may not last through the first tour tomorrow so it must have been great, right? ;)

If I missed anyone who was there I have no idea how because I'm pretty sure I spoke with every last person in the room over 2.5 days :D

See you all in Dallas!

Em, I enjoyed meeting you and your husband there! It is good to see a couple share a profession and a passion for it! God bless,

Dave Tibbals

• Like 2

I also had been looking forward to going but due to the fact that I got new job (which was one of my main reasons for going), I couldn't. It sounds like it was a blast though and hopefully I will get to go next year.

• Like 1

This event was fantastic even for a non (pre?) pilot like myself. I learned a ton of stuff and met a lot of great people. It was really cool to be able to shake hands with Lyn, Randy, Dennis, and Mike and thank them for setting up the main event and the pre-seminar FAA Safety Team event. Talking with David about some of his international experiences was amazing. The free groun school from Mike was enlightening. Rune & Mark from Colorado HeliOps were very friendly and it was really great talking to them at length about the training experience - thanks for letting me bug you so much guys! And the sad part is I didn't even name 1 out of 10 people I met this weekend.

Special shout out to Christian and Andreas, hope you guys don't still have teeth marks on your knees after riding in the back of the convertible to and from dinner. :D

As I said to Lyn on the last day, I can't believe this event was only $150. The wealth of knowledge presented and the chance to discuss things with guys who really have "been there, done that" was worth 10x the price.

Thanks again to everyone involved with putting on the show, and especially to all the speakers that volunteered their time to teach us all something new with each presentation. I will definitely see you all next year, and with any luck I'll be able to say I'm a pilot by then!

Matt

I was just wondering. Did the topic of internships come up at all during the event? I've never understood why companies don't offer them,...they get a free pilot for a while, to mold any way they want, and we get the experience we need to become employable, win/win,...right?

:huh:

• Like 1

Butters, that's a great question, and something I have never thought of. I wonder if it's one of those things where, if you offer it, they might take you up on it. Then again, it's probably an insurance thing or something. Interesting thought though.

I was just wondering. Did the topic of internships come up at all during the event? I've never understood why companies don't offer them,...they get a free pilot for a while, to mold any way they want, and we get the experience we need to become employable, win/win,...right?

This would involve substantial time in the left seat... :D

We offer ground-based internships that allow someone to learn the operation from the inside out, e.g. ramp and dispatch, while evaluating an individual's fit within the company. An inexperienced pilot intern would involve greater risk and expense, including loss of valuable payload. If one can afford an unpaid internship, some EMS bases welcome job shadows and ride-alongs, another great opportunity to network and learn the biz. Most of our interns are aviation college students, not yet rated, who later have an advantage when they are qualified for available positions on the line. Also, I think many would consider SIC positions to be paid internships.

• Like 1

I also had been looking forward to going but due to the fact that I got new job (which was one of my main reasons for going), I couldn't. It sounds like it was a blast though and hopefully I will get to go next year.

Same thing happened to me. I was really excited to go and try to find a new job, but had a great one fall in my lap a few days before the event. I was still very tempted to go, but since I will be away from home so much now, I decided to stay home and spend some time with my family.

I'm glad to hear that it went so well. I've quite a few positive things.

First off, the last thing we need in this industry is pilots working for free. Secondly, I would say that working as a CFI is pretty similar to being an intern.

Edited by C.R.O.
  • Like 2

I agree with what C.R.O. said. Plus, why would a company put a low time pilot through an internship when there are more than enough with experience to fill the seats?

One thing I learned... Don't matter your aviation background, or your knowledge so much , but more your time in the cockpit. Turns out no body really gives a $h!t what you have to say if you don't have time to back it up. And evidently your posts should be poportionnate to tour PIC time. I understand where this very highly respected pilot was coming from and there for I will try my best to restrict my posts and lurk more from now on.

I hope to return next year with a cert and at least be able to claim a pilot status and a few hours.

Ok, my personal drama aside, It was one of the best things I have experienced in my life time. I am not a certified pilot, and even if I was, the people I met are like celebrities to me. I can not think of a better weekend I have had since I came back from a deployment and had my loving family there to greet me.

One of te things I learned at Heli-success was that the speakers involved were trying to give back. Well, one of the speakers gave back big time, and I was the recipient. Not being one of much money, I was intrigued to give back in my own way and helped some pilots with a bed for the weekend. I have to get confirmation , but I think one of these pilots got a job out of heli-success.

I Have also helped local pilots get thier first job through VR, but I guess I shouldn't have, because I have next to 0 hrs and need to throttle back.

edit: Turns out I mis-understood some sound advice Mike was trying to give me and in-turn got overly defensive. Another post I regret making, but I left it here so others can learn, and the posts that followed make sense.

Edited by gary-mike

gary-mike:

Glad you were able to make it and it was great to meet you. Looked sharp too.

Let me be the first to say, forget about what someone may have said or indicated to you about posting, being a "newbie. You have every bit the right to post as the next person.

If you have a question, ask it.

If you have an answer, give it.

If you have a comment, post it.

Here on this site the only one that can tell a person not to post would be Lyn.

BTW: let me know who it was so I make sure that I do not give a reference for them to get into one of the LE agencies. As all of the presenters said, "attitude" is most important.

Be safe & Thanks for Your Service to Our Country!

edspilot

• Like 1

Gary-Mike, I know it is me that you are referring to. I think you totally misunderstood me and I apologize for the misunderstanding. All I asked was to temper your replies/input to allow a thread to progress. It was nice to meet you and I try to sincerely help everyone I come in contact with and to all here on VR, use me as a resource as you wish.

mikefranz@embarqmail.com.

Best to All,

Mike

• Like 1

We offer ground-based internships that allow someone to learn the operation from the inside out, e.g. ramp and dispatch, while evaluating an individual's fit within the company. An inexperienced pilot intern would involve greater risk and expense, including loss of valuable payload. If one can afford an unpaid internship, some EMS bases welcome job shadows and ride-alongs, another great opportunity to network and learn the biz. Most of our interns are aviation college students, not yet rated, who later have an advantage when they are qualified for available positions on the line. Also, I think many would consider SIC positions to be paid internships.

The idea of internships / ride along in the helicopter itself sounds like a good idea. Like heligirl03 said, the problem with having a ride along on board is that the company will loose revenue due to a missing "paying" customer. Its true that some EMS operators are taking new hires "med-crew or pilots, news people along on flights if the airframe allows that. The problem that we pilots are facing is payload. The medical interior with all the accessories are adding more and more weight to the helicopter. We also never know what the weight of our next patient might be or how much additional fuel we need to put on to get to the next patient.

Adding another person to the helicopter decreases our range,VFR/IFR, "fuel load" and the capability to perform a vertical takeoff/ landing from confined landing zones or hospital rooftops.Sometimes we have to leave the ride along at the hospital or scene behind due to performance/payload issues. Or we leave them behind when the call comes in knowing it wont work out.

Lets say we will have low time pilots in the front as an internship. Due to Part 135 regulations/requirements that internship wont be allowed to touch the controls. Sure he gets to see and may log the flight time, if that person holds an CFI-cert. but as long as you don't actually fly the machine, i don't see a great advantage of this, at least in ems. Sure we would get to know you better and you would learn the administrative site of things as far as entering data in the computer, refilling the liquid o2 bottle,A/C preflight, how the base operates...etc.

But what are you gonna do at the ems base all day long ? starring at the wall, watching tv, reading books?

If you are interested in Ems, stop by a base and talk to us, we will show you around and answer your questions. And if you fullfill the requirements we can bring you in contact with the hiring authorities and also can put in a word for , if we pilots and the medcrews like you.

Besides, the majority of ems helos are single engine "bh407,b206,as350... etc" they usually dont have enough space to accomodate a ridealong and the patient is usually halfway next to the pilot int the fron where the copilot seat used to be.