HeliSuccess Vegas 2011

heligirl03

Lets say we will have low time pilots in the front as an internship. Due to Part 135 regulations/requirements that internship wont be allowed to touch the controls...

Even if the intern meets the Part 135 minimums?

However, I was actually thinking more about Tours, ENG, LE, or GOM, not really EMS. I mean, I don't think I'd really want an intern driving me to the hospital?

I will admit, though, I guess it was kind of a stupid question. Sometimes I forget about the "making money" part of flying,...and of course the pilot surplus.

:rolleyes:

Gary-mike

I “second” what edspilot said.

VR provides a wealth of information for the industry newcomer better than any other helo based website. Therefore, feel free to participate as much as you want. However, just be somewhat cautious about the discussions you participate in as some can get pretty fugly…. As you already mentioned, lurking (I’d rather say sifting) threw the threads and participating in the ones you feel can help YOU, is the best method as a newcomer…

Nevertheless, it would appear you have a plan in place and clear goals set. This is a great way to start. Patience and persistence is key. Success doesn’t come from one big swing, it comes with constant pressure being applied over a long period of time. Each hurtle you pass is one step forward to your ultimate goal. Will there be setbacks and disappointments? Absolutely, but that’s how VR can help with advice from those who’ve been-there-and-done-that before.

It’s been said many times before and worth mentioning again. This business is 10% skill (wiggling the sticks), 10% knowledge (book smart) and 80% attitude. Of that 80% attitude, half is already there and can’t be shaped. It’s the other half which will be molded by your ongoing helicopter education. That education will come from many different places and VR can be one of those places…. Use it as needed…

Spike

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

First off, the last thing we need in this industry is pilots working for free. Secondly, I would say that working as a CFI is pretty similar to being an intern.

This would be an accurate statement. I would go as far as to say, the CFI gig IS, by all intents and purposes, an intern position.

When qualified guys are standing at the door, then there is no need for an internship. The ones that do exist, as mentioned, are more of agreements to specific organizations to attract customers.

Post corrected as suggested by helonorth. Thank you. Smart as a brick, that me......

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

Had a great time at Heli Success. Thanks Lyn for having us all! We learned a great deal, and are remaining motivated in the industry. 3 Years ago I had no job and the light was very faint at the end of the tunnel, now I am instructing in a Robbie, and am building (slowly) the time necessary to move on to tours or GOM. Can't wait till I am there, but somewhere along the way I will discover that the journey was half the fun of getting there...and once I am there, the next goal will be on the horizon. See ya next year everyone!

Well finally a chance to slow down and add a post to this thread! Heli-Success was once again the event you did not want to miss. Excellent advice upon which to build a foundation that will help carry you through your entire career. It was good to finally meet some of the posters here, and it was even better to meet all of the great pilots and future pilots at the event.

If you missed it, make those plans NOW to attend Heli-Success Lite at HAI, and Heli-Success next year. The ideals put forward at these events WILL work for you if you take them in and apply them to your career plan.

Those that want to go next year should buy tickets early. The event was sold out with 40-50 (last I heard) people waiting for a seat to open.

It is well worth the $, I know I am planning on going again next year.

Edited by gary-mike

Bummed out I didn't get to stop by, we were short a few pilots at work and trying to cover their flights, wife had a bug, etc. etc. Would have liked to see Goldy, DP, Lyn, and all the other VR gang. Maybe next time. Glad it was a "success" for everyone who made it.

T

Had a great time, and learned a lot. It was great meeting some of you. I highly recommend this seminar! Thanks so much for the hard work that everyone put into it! Lyn, you did a great job. Randy and Barry also had some amazing insight. I could go on and on, but I'll just say, that if you haven't been, you should go (at least once). :rolleyes:

• Like 1