Will it really take 55-60 hrs to get my Private add-on?

...that's where I get confused as well...maybe someone can clear that up?

Again my flawed understanding thinks that as long as you are being instructed...even when you're flying solo, it's a type of exception? I dunno....hopefully someone can explain this in lamen terms for me.

If you're already a "rated" helicopter pilot, you need 10hrs dual and an endorsement to be PIC in an R22.

If you're a helicopter "student" you need 20hrs dual plus an "R22 specific" solo endorsement for your PPL solo requirement.

Once you become a "rated" helicopter pilot, you need 200hrs in helicopters and 50hrs in the R22 in order to teach in an R22.

Therefore if you became a "rated" helicopter pilot in an S300, and flew it to 150hrs for your Commercial, you would then only need 50hrs in the R22 to teach, which would include 10hrs dual, plus a PIC endorsement, and 40hrs doing whatever you want (like getting your CFI/II)! You will also have to attend the RHC course and get a CFI endorsenent specifically for the R22.

Hope this helps some of the confusion?

:)

how can anyone say the R22 is cheaper if a career helicopter pilot is the goal?... if you need 50 hours more than any other type?

Lets say an R22 costs $250/hr X 200 hours = $50k

and an enstrom or 300 costs $300/hr X 150 hours = $45k

The SFAR makes the Robinson a gambit for helicopter students..

Generally, when it is said that the R22 is cheaper, they mean for the operator, not the student!

;)

Edited by r22butters
  • Like 1

The R22 is an agile and challenging little helicopter. It is a bit like fixed wing training in a Pitts. They are both inexpensive, light and tricky.

Unlike fixed wing flying you will not be nearly as safe when you get your rating. Do not worry about the hours, work on precsion flying skills. Get the most out of your instructor in every flight.

I fly tricky acrobatic airplanes, seaplanes and helicopter. The helicopter is the most difficult, most dangerous, amd most fun. I think that I will go flying.

They do indeed make a 206 with four blades and a good TR. It's called a 407!

The 407 is a 7 place machine. The only 206 Bell has discontinued to manufacture is the 206 Jetranger. The Jetranger is a 5 place machine… This is what I was referring to, not the 407…..

The 407 is a 7 place machine. The only 206 Bell has discontinued to manufacture is the 206 Jetranger. The Jetranger is a 5 place machine… This is what I was referring to, not the 407…..

You're both right. Helonorth was talking about a 206, and because it wasn't specified before I guess he didn't specify it was the L model(7 place) he was talking about. You're talking about the B model.

You're both right. Helonorth was talking about a 206, and because it wasn't specified before I guess he didn't specify it was the L model(7 place) he was talking about. You're talking about the B model.

Bell still produces L-models… The only 206 currently not in production is the Jetranger… I assumed everyone understood this… I stand corrected…..

Edited by Spike

Hi, new to the forum here, so sorry if this is the wrong place for newbie/FAQ type of questions.

I am a low-time private fixed wing pilot (350 hours TT) and want to transition to helicopters with the goal of ultimately pursuing a career in flying.

I was told by a local flight school to expect it to take at least 55-60 hours to get my helicopter add-on. I got my PPL fixed wing in 41.5 hours. I realize that learning to fly helicopters is more difficult than flying airplanes, but I have a hard time understanding why it will take 55-60 for an add on, considering that a certificated fixed wing pilot is already proficient with the material that is common among the categories, such as weather, ATC, airspace, navigation, etc.

Is it really typical to spend this much time on an add-on? Or is this flight school trying to juice me?

OK, so back to the original post. It might take you 100 hours, it might take you 30. Since you know the pilot stuff you will only be working on the "helicopter" stuff, and maybe un-doing some learning from fixed wing flying. I would suggest you start off in a simulator, much cheaper and you can get the feel of flying a bird. Then go for the training. I think the school is just trying to be realistic. Some people that want to learn to fly a chopper just can't do it and end up dropping out. As an experienced pilot, you will know when you have full control and when you are just hanging on!

• Like 1

Spike,

Bell does make a 206 with 4 bld rotor, OH-58D!

That’s what I was kinda getting at…… While only produced as a military version, I think it would an easy retool for a civilian version… The point being, it really doesn’t matter what “I think”…..