Looking for some advice

cain.p

I"m currently looking at multiple schools to attend. Just looking for some pilots that have already started there career to give me some helpful advice. With the current economy I am being told it is very hard to find a school loan to make up for the cost that the MGIB from the military is not covering.So any leads to a finance company that can be used toward a vocational school would help. Also in the time I have been looking into being a helicopter pilot i've been told that being a CFI is your only choice once you get out of school. Is there anyone out there that knows of any company's that hire low time pilots straight out of flight school? And one more thing i've heard from some people that there are some companies out there that will pay for your flight school and allow you to work for them after you complete your flight school to pay off your school.Just was wondering if anyone can give any truth to the rumors I have been hearing.

I"m currently looking at multiple schools to attend. Just looking for some pilots that have already started there career to give me some helpful advice. With the current economy I am being told it is very hard to find a school loan to make up for the cost that the MGIB from the military is not covering.So any leads to a finance company that can be used toward a vocational school would help. Been there done that myself, worked hard saved up cash for most of it. Sallie Mae is the only lender out there with decent rates and there is only one Sallie Mae approved helicopter school out there that I know of - Bristow.

Also in the time I have been looking into being a helicopter pilot i've been told that being a CFI is your only choice once you get out of school. Is there anyone out there that knows of any company's that hire low time pilots straight out of flight school? Fewer and farther between each day, better chances of winning lottery but possible yes - I speak from 1st hand experience. It took me years and years and years of hard work to find that information out ;)

And one more thing i've heard from some people that there are some companies out there that will pay for your flight school and allow you to work for them after you complete your flight school to pay off your school.Just was wondering if anyone can give any truth to the rumors I have been hearing. If that were true all you would have to do is find a very very long line and stand in it with the rest of the hopefuls. Seriously though not that I know of in the US, have met some middle eastern and south american folk lucky enough to be in a situation like that but not any American

hope that helps somewhat.

Edited by Rogue

Try credit union student loans. They only work at colleges, but there are state college's with heli programs. Up to $30k a semester. Need a cosigner. 4-7% interest.

Also there are schools with arrangements with other companies. Several students I know of personally didn't want to instruct and went straight to ag. mostly it is your network and being in the right place at the right time, and being the right person for the job.

...And one more thing i've heard from some people that there are some companies out there that will pay for your flight school and allow you to work for them after you complete your flight school to pay off your school.Just was wondering if anyone can give any truth to the rumors I have been hearing.

I have found a couple of those, they are; C. R. England, and Swift.

:P

As for finding a job without being a CFII, your odds are 1 in,...lets see, where's the button for the infinity symbol?

:rolleyes:

One last thing. Don't borrow money for flight school! You will regret it later!

I speak from experience! Doom and Gloom Butters has spoken!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... :)

If you rate the the MGIB do you rate the post 9/11? There are community and university colleges that offer aviation degrees that make your ratings credits so the post 9/11 will pay for them. Thats what I plan on doing when I get out of the service and it pays for almost everything.

I agree with butters mosly, I would say don't take out loans you can't pay for. A plan b for handling debt in case u can't get a flying gig is essential. Really that whole debate can be seen ad nauseum in other threads.

If you qualify for MGIB, you can convert it to the Post 9/11 GI Bill. The application is on the VA website. I am in the process of doing it now. As others have stated, if you attend a degree-granting program that has an aviation program, you can get the entire cost covered. The flight training is written up as aviation lab fees. Can't beat the cost. :)