Fixed Wing Slots/Availability?

Afternoon,

I was wondering, just for information sake, if anyone actually knows the number of fixed wing slots that will be open during FY '12? I don't know if this information is even available, just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone knows. I'd heard that in one recent class there were no fixed wing slots available to anyone at all regardless of how you scored, yet with increased Guardrail and other RC-12 missions out East, it seems there might be a pickup in slots for it. Any info would be nice, for me as well as others who browse through. I haven't met a person yet who is interested in Army Flight Training that doesn't wonder about this, yet it doesn't seem to be a widely discussed topic, probably because most people do want to fly helicopters. Thanks for your time!

-Joe

• Like 1

Going fixed wing out of flight school has nothing to do with selection. Most guys I know that went fixed wing were guys who knew people or who worked with the CWOAB. There was a guy who got it post-selection simply by asking if there were slots left. He was selected, then promptly dropped from it when a senior cadre decided to take the slot. Then there was a group of Kiowa guys who got offered it after the course, got themselves all excited and spent a few days going through the process with B Co. only to be told the slots had been filled with Guard/Reserve guys.

Basically what I'm saying is that you come to flight school to fly rotary wing, end of story. If you get fixed wing and that's what you want then you've gotten lucky.

Why even try for fixed wing in the Army? As mentioned above, fixed wing would be extremely boring unless you are flying fighters which isn't going to happen( (.) Period in the Army). If you have what it takes and desire the fixed wing route, look towards the Air Force, Navy, or Marines. I suggest in that order, as options are most available in that order.

But for gods sake man, if you already have a slot for aviation, either give it a chance or walk away and give another willing soul a chance at HIS/Her dream!

hewhofightsfoo,

I am not trying to lecture you. I am simply stating that coming from a fixed wing background as I do (700 hour CFI with multi instrument) helicopters are simply more fun.

If you want to time build in a BE200 for further jobs after the Army, then thats on you.

• Like 1

Flying fixed wing is not that bad. Everyone I know who is fixed wing are very satisfied with their jobs and they love the flying. Not to mention they are averaging over 35 hours a week of flight time, which is WAY more flying than you're going to do flying rotary unless you're deployed. I have a feeling the flying isn't exactly "racetracks in the sky." ;)

• Like 1