Cool Picture

Karl

WOW! My guess, someone got shot down or something in a hostile area. Under-fire, life in danger the Longbow came and the lone airman jumped on the gear. Figured he'd rather take his chances falling off than being shot.

Looks like the Italians' A129 - supposedly they have some deployed to Afghanistan right now. There was some documentary awhile ago about British AH-64's that used their wing pylons to transport ground forces, and I think the Israelis have been doing the same thing for awhile now. First time I've seen someone hanging onto the gear, though.

In the Apache community we call it a 'spur ride'. If your sister ship goes down for one reason or another and you don't have help in the area then you can land to pick up the crew. They sit on the avionics bays and clip to grab bars or steps for security. As it's been said, these impromptu rescues have been going on since the Vietnam days. We actually have SOPs for it now.

• Like 2

In the Apache community we call it a 'spur ride'. If your sister ship goes down for one reason or another and you don't have help in the area then you can land to pick up the crew. They sit on the avionics bays and clip to grab bars or steps for security. As it's been said, these impromptu rescues have been going on since the Vietnam days. We actually have SOPs for it now.

That is awesome. Thanks for filling us in!