What to consider when choosing and airframe?

You would be surprised. Mike models are often bypassed for Alphas becuase Mikes usually go to only two or three posts at a time and many IPs tell propective hawk drivers to choose legacy first.

Something about actually flying an aircraft or the like. Haha

Something about actually flying an aircraft or the like. Haha

Of all the reasons not to choose a M model, this shouldn't be one of them. The only time I ever let an M model fly itself was for long straight and level legs. Other than that it flew the same.

Of all the reasons not to choose a M model, this shouldn't be one of them. The only time I ever let an M model fly itself was for long straight and level legs. Other than that it flew the same.

What are some of those reasons not to choose the M model, other than limited duty stations?

Good to hear. I was just posting sh*t I heard around rucker. You know how that place is.

What are some of those reasons not to choose the M model, other than limited duty stations?

That's a big one. There's a really good chance anyone going through flight school now will be transitioned anyway before their 6 years are up, that might make some people want to take it now, others might want to wait.

The helicopter itself has some minor issues that I don't like though. Sometimes random systems will fail on startup and nobody knows why, but they start working again if you cycle the power. The minimum equipment list is a mile long though so even if it's something you don't plan on using for the flight, it's probably still required and you have to fix it before taking off.

Some of the systems are not even an improvement over the A/L model. The GPS isn't IFR certified (the A/L model is). The moving map got a couple upgrades, being integrated into the MFDs and with the aircraft's navigation systems, but the most important overlays are either impossible or very difficult to put on. Overall I like the EDM better.

Running everything through an FMS is unnecessarily complex and creates some disadvantages. I liked being able to scan over the center console while flying and seeing individual control heads for everything and being able to tell how they were set. With the FMS you need to take your hands off the controls and select different pages to review everything. If the FMS is showing your com radios, it takes physical button pressing just to see what your nav radios are tuned to, or what your transponder is set to, or where your GPS is taking you. Running the radio selector through the FMS is the worst, because it's so slow it takes like 2 full seconds to make any changes. That might not sound like much, but if you're on ICS and you get an ATC call in Class B airspace, there's no chance you can switch over to VHF and start talking before someone else steps on you. Or when you're on a mission in Afghanistan with a lot going on and ballast weight for a copilot, trying to fly and talk on several radios at the same time is hard enough when you can switch between radios instantly. By the time I can start talking on a new frequency on a M model I could have made my call and had another radio tuned up in an A/L.

Then there are additional systems that I just don't care about, but you still have to learn them because saying you don't care isn't an acceptable answer when you get asked to explain it on a checkride. But seriously, I don't care about things like the ILS deceleration mode because it's really stupid. I wouldn't ever want to slow down to 70 kias on an ILS approach unless there was a Kiowa ahead of me.

• Like 1

That sucks man. One of the things I love about the 58D is how easy the radios are to work with and switch between. On our last cross country we had most of the frequencies loaded in our mission card so it was just a matter of changing channels. The ones that weren't we can just switch down to manual channel and enter them directly in. We had a HH-60M in tow and it seemed our limitation talking to ATC was the range that we could receive their calls. The Blackhawk had to pick up a few calls for us because we lost ATC and they didn't.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Selecting airframes tomorrow... i'm 6'4" so 58's are sort of out in my mind and 47's are just not on the table right now, but im torn between 64's and 60's... i'm in the top 10% of my OML so i'll most likely get what I choose. UH-60Ms will be available so I'm leaning this way, but everytime i see a picture of an Apache I cant help but think how awesome they are. I need some advice... Thanks guys...

• Like 2

To be honest, i could see myself doing either mission. I have been in for 15 years and have realized that you don't actually know your job/mission until you have been doing it for a little while. I cant say I know what either will be like once immersed in the community... Therefore I cant really say I would like one over the other, or that i'm suited to one more than the other.... The only reason I'm leaning towards hawks is the versatility of the mission giving me the best odds of finding a mission I will like, (ie. Medevac, airassult, VIP, etc)... I'm looking for someone to talk me into apache's, and if I still feel as I do about 60's, it will have set my mind at ease for tomorrow...

My only thought i had recently about this is that when and if i ever fly into combat, i want to be the one shooting from a safe distance, not landing a barely armed helo in a hot lz taking fire for a medevac... If i were you id pick apaches for the safer situations youd be put in.... On the flip side, if you pick 60s, and live through your career, theres better chances of branching to coast guard, af, navy, civilian 60s, or others. You arent stuck army forever like u would be in 64s...

Av8rnik, looks like there will be one 47 slot, four 58 slots... But i dont want to be a school bus driver, and i dont fit comfortably in a 58 now, let alone with kit on...

14 active duty warrants competing for slots... it is rumored that we are gonna be guns heavy...

Av8rnik, looks like there will be one 47 slot, four 58 slots... But i dont want to be a school bus driver, and i dont fit comfortably in a 58 now, let alone with kit on...

14 active duty warrants competing for slots... it is rumored that we are gonna be guns heavy...

Very nice to see a 47 slot for those who want it. Would you mind providing some basic feedback on how easy/hard it was to place in the top 10% of the OML? Any advice you have for someone looking to be at the top? How about the the top 3 - did they have any prior aviation experience, or do anything differently? Lastly, how did that final APFT affect the OML standings?

Thanks a bunch. My personal opinion is to go 60s, but I'm just a civilian. :P

I think I'm leaning towards 60's... so our number one guy on the OML who was a commercial fixed wing aviator got screwed with a nazi grader on his PT test and failed the pushups, putting him last in the class. Most everyone else didnt do as well on the run as they thought they were gonna do and got bumped down.. the PT test is worth 100 out of the 700 total points of the OML... I have my sport pilot license and got that specifically to make my warrant officer packet competitive... it helped me for about the first couple weeks of primary, and then after that, not really... If you want to be top of your OML, study your oral knowledge like crazy and be physically fit (like 300 on APFT fit)...

• Like 1

I think I'm leaning towards 60's... so our number one guy on the OML who was a commercial fixed wing aviator got screwed with a nazi grader on his PT test and failed the pushups, putting him last in the class. Most everyone else didnt do as well on the run as they thought they were gonna do and got bumped down.. the PT test is worth 100 out of the 700 total points of the OML... I have my sport pilot license and got that specifically to make my warrant officer packet competitive... it helped me for about the first couple weeks of primary, and then after that, not really... If you want to be top of your OML, study your oral knowledge like crazy and be physically fit (like 300 on APFT fit)...

Thanks a bunch, that is very helpful.

I'm a huge motherf*cker and fly the 58. Our mission is the best.

As for 60s and 64s. Well, do you want to be the harbinger of death and destruction or a battle taxi?

Edited by akscott60
  • Like 3

I'm looking for someone to talk me into apache's, and if I still feel as I do about 60's, it will have set my mind at ease for tomorrow...

Honestly, If somebody needs to talk to you into flying Apaches, then the Apache is not for you. Its better if you fly 60's of 58's. I am not in yet, as of right now I have no guarantees that I will get in or that I will be selected for an Apache, but I however have been obsessed with that air frame since I started studying Aviation. I have read tons and tons of reference material, documentation, operating manuals, cutaway drawings and schematics regarding the Apache helicopter. I even built a flight simulator. All of this, just so I could get a better feel of what it would be to fly one of these incredible flying machines.

As for 60s and 64s. Well, do you want to be the harbinger of death and destruction or a battle taxi?

I want to be the harbinger of death and destruction.