Heli Expo to go or not to go...

brettjeepski

For those who have been to Heli Expo what the reasons I should go.

I am a 600 hour pilot with CFII working as an instructor. I am also heavily involved in the marketing of our company. I thought Heli Expo would be super benificial but I have heard Heli Expo is more for owners, heli operations, admin staff and those pilots with over a thousand hours.

Personal Budget is tight and just returned from Heli Success In Vegas, which was awesome and met some really great people. I was looking at attending all the free classes and the show at heli expo.

What is everyone's opinion with the importance of attending heli expo? Who beneifets in attending?

• Like 1

After having attended the heli-expo in Anaheim a few years ago, I would say that I would not recommend going unless the following were to apply: 1. You have something like 1500+ hours and are looking to network, 2. Your current employer will pick up the tab, or 3. You just have money to burn to go check out some pretty cool "Heavy Metal" helicopters. I did attend a few educational courses which I enjoyed. For any low timers (not saying that you are), the expo itself is just a big smoozing festival for suits and vendors in the industry. I don't plan on attending in the future

• Like 1

I've been to 2 expos. While they are fun and you get to see lots of cool stuff I'd have to agree with Carpenter on this one. I dont think you would benefit that much going now. If $ was no object sure but otherwise skip it this year and maybe go next year if your ready to move on to a turbine job.

Attending is of no importance unless you have something important to do while attending…… For me I renew my CFI which is important to me. However, if my agency didn’t pick up the tab, I’d probably stay home.

Short of purchasing an AW139 or seeking the latest and greatest glass to install in your machine, the people who benefit most are the ones attending the courses and seminars. Therefore, if you’re going just to “see” stuff, then save your money for a better time. With that said, the amount of time in your logbook shouldn’t be a deciding factor. For people looking for advancement, HeliExpo is a networking opportunity like no other. Remember, probably the two most common methods of advancement is “in the right place at the right time” and “it’s not what you know, but who you know”…… HeliExpo is a time and place with lots of helicopter people to get to know… Depending on who you are, it can be an opportunity or, a total waste of time……

For those who have been to Heli Expo what the reasons I should go.

I am a 600 hour pilot with CFII working as an instructor. I am also heavily involved in the marketing of our company. I thought Heli Expo would be super benificial but I have heard Heli Expo is more for owners, heli operations, admin staff and those pilots with over a thousand hours.

Personal Budget is tight and just returned from Heli Success In Vegas, which was awesome and met some really great people. I was looking at attending all the free classes and the show at heli expo.

What is everyone's opinion with the importance of attending heli expo? Who beneifets in attending?

I wouldnt miss it, but just like Heli-Success you get a lot back based on what you put into it. I know plenty of people who go, walk around, and leave......and don't get any value out of the show. I agree, I think your boss should pay your way!

• Like 1