Turbine Time JetRanger II Ferry

Discounted turbine time $325/hr. During Ferry, and possibly on station 200 mile radius of NWArk. Time frame mid to late spring 2012 going through summer. Any replies, I will provide contact info. Remote possibility of turbine fixed wing opportunities also.

Just a few questions;

1.) What is a "Jet Ranger II"? Or is that just separating the Jet Ranger and Ferry words?

2.) Good luck on finding someone for the ferry. That is a great price for turbine time.

3.) If the pilot wanting to do the ferry is commercially rated, what sort of pay will he/she receive as compensation for his time?

4.) Will the company provide a CFI or line pilot to travel with the aircraft?

Thanks.

A JetRanger II is a Bell 206B. By "Ferry" I don't mean a maintenance ferry or special request to FAA ferry, I mean more of a repositioning ferry. I don't know what you mean by the commercially rated compensation question. The person agreeing to pay $325/hr will be accompanied by most likely myself, not a rotary wing CFI, but Comm/Instr rotary with over 1,000 hours in JetRangers. If the person agreeing to pay $325/hr insists on a CFI, one is available, but very little "instruction" will be available. It's just going to be RFM overview, Preflight, Start, Takeoff, Ferry to destination, Land, Shutdown, Tiedown. While onscene there may be additional opportunities for local flight time.

I also had an Email response

"Interested in details on the Jet ranger ferry. I have a PPL. This is a 200 mile flight around North

western Arkansas, correct? CFI included in the $325? All operating costs included? (fuel, oil,

etc..) Thank you sir."

Answer: The person paying the $325/hr pays that amount based on hobbs, there are no hidden charges if that is what you are asking. Obviously that amount is only about half of the actual operating expenses. A CFI can be made available. If you imagine you want dedicated instruction we really aren't

accomplishing our Ferry objective, but if you insist You can expect scale

CFI charges, and $850/hr wet for Helo charges. I'm pretty sure you could

find something very comparable to that closer to home. And yes, North West

Arkansas

Question:

How many miles is the ferry?

My understanding is this is a ferry + 200mile radial flight.

$350/hr, based only on the hobbs, is what I'm expected to pay.

Is that correct?

Answer:

Yes, I am imagining an outbound leg of less than 2 hours towards the end of the week, and a return leg at the end of a weekend, and possibly some local time in between.

Why would someone pay to move someone else's aircraft to be ferried? And why would turbine time help someone who doesn't have 1500 hours? All these flight schools out there are trying to convince students otherwise that they need turbine time, and then you get people trying to move their aircraft trying to make it benefit their pocket book, not yours with this miraculous "turbine time" that is supposedly so valuable- it's way overrated. Companies will pay for you to learn to start a turbine helicopter when your hour/experience level is right.

i agree this is something a pilot should get paid to do, but I also understand where these guys are coming from.

some will take advantage of those willing to pay. i just wish they would make a separate forum for this kind of stuff. it is not ferry - to me that is getting paid to fly something one place to another.

this should fall under a rental or will pay thread.

The idea is to offer something that would be agreed upon in advance, to be mutually beneficial. All safe flight time is valuable. If it's not a win win for you, it may be just what the doctor ordered for someone else. What is the value of you raining on my and their parade ? I see no value, only depreciation in your comments, but I am open to see you explain how your comments are otherwise. If you can't build up, you shouldn't tear down.

"I don't know what you mean by the commercially rated compensation question. The person agreeing to pay $325/hr will be accompanied by most likely myself, not a rotary wing CFI, but Comm/Instr rotary with over 1,000 hours in JetRangers."

Aeroscout, What some of the guys are getting at, is that you are trying to take advantage of somebody that "needs" flight time, to accomplish a business function for your aircraft. If I owned a yacht (I don't) and needed it moved from Florida to Texas, and you were a qualified yacht captain, would you be willing to pay me $500.00 per day for the chance to log a little time behind the wheel? Of course not, you would charge me for your services, and I should be willing to pay you for those services...such is the cost of doing business.

Ryan

• Like 1

I didn't read it that way at all.

It sounds like aeroscout is flying a Jetranger from point A to point B and he's offering to let someone sit in the left seat for $325/hr.

That's pretty much what that ENG pilot in L.A. does, isn't it?

It sounds like aeroscout is flying a Jetranger from point A to point B and he's offering to let someone sit in the left seat for $325/hr.

Not only sit, but fly, hands on, and learn firsthand some aspects of turbine flight they may not know. It would be like in the previous poster's comparison to a yacht captain allowing an apprentice captain to get some wheel and throttle time. I don't need the services of a professional pilot, I am one. I don't need someone in the other seat, nearly all my time is single pilot. It is similar to what boatpix does. It is a common practice even in piston helo's. Google it. At one point in my career I would have jumped at a similar opportunity, and in retrospect, would not have regretted it. I know it rubs some of you professional pilots the wrong way, but you don't need/want turbine time, therefore this proposal isn't mutually beneficial, to you, and you would not be in my prospective audience. Don't ruin it for someone it may benefit.

Even thought I may not agree with the business model of the company that gets low time pilots buying large amounts of turbine time, the flight is still going to occur with or without the paying for the other seat, so that the other customer's mission is still accomplished. This business model is good for some if they want to see that side of the industry or need a few hours for one reason or another, but not necessary for the majority of low time pilots thinking its going to miraculously make them stand out when they haven't reached the 1500 hour time level, it just leaves low time pilots with bigger loans and no job to repay on the return on their investment or career.

At one point in my career I would have jumped at a similar opportunity, and in retrospect, would not have regretted it. I know it rubs some of you professional pilots the wrong way, but you don't need/want turbine time, therefore this proposal isn't mutually beneficial, to you, and you would not be in my prospective audience. Don't ruin it for someone it may benefit.

Apologies for glomming onto your post. Its not just you, its the flawed industry. You are right, their are some that your opportunity will be a building experience. We just have a flawed industry in many low time pilots under the assumption that turbine is going to get them their job that will repay their investment as a career in this industry. I my self carrying student loans for over 7 years now and still repaying as others. Thank goodness I chose not to do a turbine transition, the compounding interest has killed me. 7 years later I'm now in a position in my career to actually afford my payments. I'm a strong advocate for others to avoid the land mines in their career choices so they can survive from making the decision to follow their dreams. Turbine transitions and building turbine time is not a wise investment for "most". I myself was fortunate to have been in the right spot at the right time and given the opportunity to fly turbine aircraft around the 1000 hour level.

Your opportunity might be good for some that need cross country to meet a requirements for instrument ratings or have time to build to get a commercial certificate and for the price they get some introductory to turbine aircraft.

Yes, except that 206 time in LA is about $185 an hour. Same stuff though, no instruction, just flying. If someone is paying $325 an hour to fly say, a S300C, then getting a few hours and some intro experience in a 206 isn't a bad thing for the same price, right?

If someone thinks that 3 hours of turbine time will make a difference in their logbook, then I think they are half right. First, I would rather have time in different ships, than all my time in an R22 (or any one helicopter type) and if I did this trip 30 times I could have 100 hours of 206 time, which just might make a difference.

Like I've said in the past, if it works for you great, if it doesnt then just read another thread. That said, there is a huge difference between 3 hours of flying straight and level and 3 hours of instruction doing every procedure in the book. I think the OP made that point pretty clear, and since he is not a CFI, then this would not be a deal I would encourage a non rated pilot to take......kinda common sense there.

Ragman, as far as a B206II, Bell made several versions of the B206 Jet Ranger. The first version was the B206A, then the B2 and finally the B3 (206BIII) version using a C20 engine. The original was a C18 engine. All the B2's I'm familiar with have the C20, but many have the original tail rotor which is a bit weaker than those found on the B3 version.......so they all look about the same from a distance, but each model has different capacities.

Personally, I don't find these pay to ferry posts offensive, but buyer beware if its the right way to spend your money.

• Like 1

How is this time logged since you are not an instructor?

Are you asking me ? If you are, then every minute you are sole manipulator, for an aircraft you are certified for, from student pilot on up, you log as PIC.

Are you asking me ? If you are, then every minute you are sole manipulator, for an aircraft you are certified for, from student pilot on up, you log as PIC.

Sorry, let me rephrase that as my wording goes downhill when I'm tired. Are you splitting the time 50/50 or letting the guy fly the whole time?

Edited by SBuzzkill

Sorry, let me rephrase that as my wording goes downhill when I'm tired. Are you splitting the time 50/50 or letting the guy fly the whole time?

Aside from the first couple of starts, the intention is to let the ferry pilot get all the stick time. There is a possibility of one or more starts by the ferry pilot, but needless to say since the start is the most likely operation to cause expensive damage, I am hesitant to guarantee it.