Documented flight training

JCM5

IMO, it's good to understand the concept behind the rapid deceleration, and that it is not just a maneuver for PTS.

I used to simulate birds, aircraft, or wires by calling them out during takeoff (once in a stabilized and safe condition) and other phases of flight.

I never thought I would have to say something like that but I saw a student that was under the misconception that all air taxis must end in a rapid decel, because all his air taxis ended that way during training.

You can imagine my surprise when after flying solo at the far end of the airport he was asked to air taxi to the fuel pumps and he ended his air taxi with a rapid decel at the pumps.

Honest mistake, but it looked like the pilot was being a douche, trying to blow up the airport.

• Like 1

Spike, you mentioned "if" your students would perform the maneuver. Can you elaborate for me? At just 11 hours some stuff is still conceptually over my head.

The “IF” was due to the fact some of the students wouldn’t do it. The fact was, they had never performed a rapid decel at altitude and were not comfortable even attempting it… Usually after some conversation and demonstration they’d understand. Understand in the manner of “duh, now I get it”… Remember, this was taking place during part 141 stage checks or pre-check-ride eval flights for private, commercial and CFI applicants so I was not supposed to be instructing…

I never thought I would have to say something like that but I saw a student that was under the misconception that all air taxis must end in a rapid decel, because all his air taxis ended that way during training.

This is exactly why SBT is now necessary….. IMO…..

• Like 1

More videos coming soon guys. I've got footage from Saturdays flight still on my camera and will be flying two or three more times from now until Sunday. Been busy and haven't had time to upload and trim but I'll have em up asap.

Spent 1.5 hours on the west pad at KBFI doing hovering maneuvers and patterns in 15kt winds but I'd forgotten to charge my GoPro and unfortunately it died shortly after pre-flight. Bummer! But it was an awesome flight - very rewarding challenge to fly in the wind, and it really helps to expand my understanding of the behavior of the helicopter as the wind direction changes relative to heading.

Well forget my last post. Just uploaded my last two flights only to find that I forgot to turn on my mic. 2.5 hours of muted flight - not that exciting. Might dub some music over top of it but we'll see. Flying Fri Sat and Sunday so I might just wait now. Sorry!

You learn a ton by flying in strong winds. I remember shooting an approach with a strong crosswind to our hill top heliport. I expected an increase in power as I got towards the end of the approach and dropped out of ETL. It never happened. The cross wind was strong enough to keep our rotor system above ETL! Blew my mind.

I also really learned about the regions of LTE by doing hover OGE checks (basically doing a 360 degree turn hovering OGE to see if you have enough power and control authority to do certain maneuvers). Until I did that, I knew the theory but not how the helicopter actually reacts.

I mentioned that I had forgotten to turn on my mic during my last flight. Instead of trimming it down I decided to condense the entire flight with some music over top. Sloppy audio editing but fun to watch. Flight consisted of KBFI departure, some patterns at Auburn including a some hovering, pickups and setdowns. Hopped over to the dairy farms for some quick stops, then a few confined landings on the way back to KBFI. This was my 7th flight and I was just over 10 hours at this point. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndAtWddaRhQ

From 1/6/12. I sort of like these condensed videos as they show the entire flight. If there are any specific maneuvers or communications you guys think I should focus on when editing together real time clips, please provide some suggestions. Since this flight was mostly straight and level I figured this was the best way to go about it but I can trim and edit anything.

Just over 13 hours logged, and heading to fly right now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o-ggB2q4oc

It is neat to see the whole flight, but I liked the first few videos you posted better. Reason why is because I am just trying to get started and with the com it was like getting free lessons.

I don't know how hard it would be to edit, but if you can slow down the busy parts of the flight and condense the cruising, that would be pretty cool. Hit on the communication points like contacting the tower when entering class D, a teaching point with your instructor, etc.

Gary-Mike: No problem.

That's what I'm working on now Buzz. Not that hard...today's flight will be good for that....I will have it sped up enough to where the entire flight can be viewed, but will revert to real time for important or more entertaining radio chatter and maneuvers.

• Like 1

Here goes:

Both these videos are from the same flight. I did another fully condensed film that is about 5 minutes long and covers all 1.5 hours of flight time, and then took the time to edit together a few highlights from the flight with real time and radio coms. It's pretty long - ties together a few five minute chunks of video - but you asked and now you've received. Enjoy!

Time Lapse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBqwwi0Vsow

Real Time Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtPIp6B3DRM&feature=youtu.be

• Like 2

that sounds a lot like the "accel/decels" that us Army guys performed during IERW. Do they not teach these on the civilian side?

Should be well known to the R22 people. The Acceleration/Deceleration was listed in the Robinson Flight Training Guide under R22 Maneuvers. An official RHC document.

ACC-Decell.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I generally use 720P at 60FPS.

I sort of jimmy rigged my own little mount using some GoPro hardware and a paint stir stick - I then clamp it on the headset hanger during flight. Hard to describe really, and it sounds shifty but works pretty well and it's very secure as you can see from my vids.

.....apologies to anyone that looks forward to my uploads. I've been unable to fly for the last month due to some personal priorities but I am planning on getting back in the air soon - hopefully this weekend!

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a little while since I've uploaded anything. Partly because I was having technical difficulties with my computer and partly because I have no excuse.

Had a great flight over the weekend - unfortunately my mic's battery was dead so I don't have any communications audio for a separate edit. Either way - enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG5gQlpm9fE

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

that was quite the confined landing you pulled off there! very nice. i'm using my GI Bill to pay for my flight training and we dont do confines until next semester. i'm definitely looking forward to some of the more advanced maneuvers. have you done a night flight yet? if not, i'd highly recommend it. it'll definitely put your skills to the test

that was quite the confined landing you pulled off there! very nice. i'm using my GI Bill to pay for my flight training and we dont do confines until next semester. i'm definitely looking forward to some of the more advanced maneuvers. have you done a night flight yet? if not, i'd highly recommend it. it'll definitely put your skills to the test

Good job

JCM5

This stuff could be very useful in the short and the long run.

Thanks guys. Definitely pretty confined up there, but we were lucky to have calm winds so it wasn't so bad. That was at 30 hours of flight time, and definitely my favorite flight so far.

I've only done .5 of night so far but planning on getting up at night in the coming weeks. I am waiting on my medical certificate (special issuance) so I can't fly solo for a couple more months unfortunately.

I'll keep the videos coming, thanks for watching.

• 9 months later...